IGNORED

My 8-bit Setup

Tempest

Love the 1st gen 410.

Ahh... someone noticed. :)

Tempest

I noticed it, since it looks different from my 410. I didn't realize Atari had two versions. According to Atari Museum, mine's the 410a, 2nd gen.

I noticed the desk you're using has a pull-out keyboard drawer. Y'know, you COULD put your 835 and 850 on that drawer... just a thought. :D

Definitely a beautiful setup ya got there!

Cheers,

Smeg

What amazes me is that they came up with such a damn technically elaborate copy protection routine in the first place.. I bet it caused more problems than just XF compatability in the long run.

Anywayze.. The ATRs available on the web run from SIO2PC just fine, so as I said, just copy them to a floppy and the XF should do just fine with them..

I always thought copy protection was fascinating. There are so many things that can be written to a disk that produce specific verifiable results when read. Most of them can be written if you have direct access to the FDC (which Atari's drives don't support), but a few tricks apparently require more specialized hardware. I remember copying the earliest protected disks by jiggling the disk and making my own bad sectors. That didn't work for long. :)

The FS-II copy protection worked a bit different. It didn't use bad sectors actively (even though the last sector of each track was broken - simply because it was absent), the mechanism works by timing the sector read. Since the sector layout was different, the time it took to load them differed from the time a regular disk required for the same data. FS-II used pokey timers and a custom disk loader for all the magic, one of the very first of its kind.

The ATRs you find on the web have that already "fixed", otherwise it wouldn't work - or rather, ATRs cannot represent the sector layout of the original FS-II disks.

Thomas

Love the 1st gen 410.

Ahh... someone noticed. :)

Tempest

I noticed it, since it looks different from my 410. I didn't realize Atari had two versions. According to Atari Museum, mine's the 410a, 2nd gen.

I had to go through 4 410's to find one that worked (reliably anyway). The old model 410 was the only one that made the cut. My newer 410 is flaky.

Tempest

I've actually seen 2 versions of the original 410. One had the AC cord built-in and the other had a small wall-wart.

Mine has the built in cord on the side. It was hard enough finding the original 410, I didn't know there was another variation!

BTW does anyone have a picture of the box for the original 410? I have two different boxes for the second 410 (B&W box and silver), but I don't know what the original 410 box looks like.

Tempest

BTW does anyone have a picture of the box for the original 410? I have two different boxes for the second 410 (B&W box and silver), but I don't know what the original 410 box looks like.

IIRC my box for the original 410 was white with brown artwork with a drawing of the 410 in front of a bunch of vertical lines.

IIRC my box for the original 410 was white with brown artwork with a drawing of the 410 in front of a bunch of vertical lines.

Yep that's the one I have but it has the newer model 410 pictured on it. Were they all like that?

EDIT: The box I'm talking about is the one on the left in this picture from Curt's site:

410a.JPG

Tempest

I took a picture of my current setup. Just looking at it makes me nostalgic for the old days...

800.jpg

Tempest

Nice. No need to get an Amdek or 1702. That TV will work fine.

You need to retr0brite that bottom 810. ;)

Edited by tjlazer