IGNORED

Looking for 84/85 demo - silver bars or pipes

Mr.Amiga500

I remember back in late '84 or early '85 being blown away by an Atari 800XL demo. It was a bunch of silver bars or pipes - gradients, I think either just horizontal or possibly horizontal and vertical mixed. It's also possible that it started silver then cycled through some colours. It was just the image, no music or other effects - sort of similar to the "Pencils" demo.

Does anybody remember this and know where to get it? Back in the early 90's I wrote an MS-DOS demo in an attempt to duplicate it from memory. See the attached screenshot. It looks something like this. (...I think)

I bought my Atari 130XE in 1984 (happy days) and it came with a demo disk (the one with that had walking robot!) I think this was part of that demo disk maybe :) Will boot it up sometime and get back to you...

Thanks for checking. I've got the walking robot, but don't see the bar demo on that disk. Your disk is probably different, so who knows - it might be there.

I think I remember that demo from way back when as well, but I haven't seen it around. You know, it would take about 5 minutes to write a simple basic program to duplicate that screen shot of yours.

Bob

Yeah, I know I could write a duplicate, but I want the actual one I saw. Why? Who knows. Maybe I just want to say, "This is the actual one I saw." ;)

I want to find out if my memory is correct (and sometimes memory turns out to be wrong). This simple demo strangely had an effect on me for years. I even put that bar pattern on my Amiga 500, as you can see in this screenshot:

And that's a 16-color workbench, folks!

hey Mr. A500.. Glad to see you over here on Atariage.. Your A500 workbench installations look awesome.. You should make install images available for A500 owners.. Theres alot of people nowadayze getting A500s for the first time who have no idea how to fine-tune a workbench installation to get the most out of it.. especially on non-accelerated 68000 machines..

Edited by MEtalGuy66

Thanks MEtalGuy66. :) (I know I shouldn't be flaunting Amiga screenshots on an Atari site...but I was just trying to show how that Atari bar demo influenced me.... really! ;))

I've got archives of my setup for both WB 1.3 and 3.1. Maybe I'll update them and upload them to Aminet.

I'm back posting here because I just got an SDrive NUXX. It's awesome. I also have an SD adapter for my A500 and I was hoping to finally be able to easily copy from Amiga to Atari (and Atari to Amiga) on SD card - without the need for a PC. Some people might find this boring, but I'm thrilled. :D

Nope! I'm stumped, maybe I imagined seeing it! Tried the Compy Shop Demo, Big Demo, Page 6 10th Anniversary Demo and Bouncing Ball demo... was fun looking at these again though, makes me wonder how come so many games don't look and sound better. Have downloaded a couple of the more recent demos to look at :)