IGNORED

Best place to buy Atari 800 cartridges?...

ataridave

Hey, I hope everyone's doing well! I was wondering where the best place is to buy these cartridges? Ebay has some of the more common titles, like Pac-Man and Defender, but overall it doesn't seem like that great of a place to buy Atari 800 cartridges. BTW, I did find a huge list-although I don't know if it is complete-of cartridges here:

http://gury.atari8.info/html_category/games_cartridges.htm :o Wow!!

Finally, has anyone seen this game before?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXenG9FKZtE Looks really fun, but I can't find squat on it online.

As far as 8-bit carts go I'd closely monitor the marketplace here at AtariAge if you don't already. You can also post wanted to buy messages. I used to buy more stuff off Ebay before I discovered the marketplace here. The condition of the items is almost always better and usually much, much cheaper. You may have to wait a bit but it's usually well worth in IMO.

As for the game, I haven't seen it before but it looks like maybe it came from Analog or Antic magazine back in the day.

tjb

Keep an eye on online stores that get them in now and then. Try Trade-N-Games, Cards Collectors & Games, 4Jays. Not sure if Atari2600.com deals in 8-bit at all.

Here in Canada I get most of mine through a store called The Toyratt. Just today I picked up Krazy Shootout, Megamania, Pitfall 2, Congo Bongo, and Frogger II Threedeep.

Keep an eye on online stores that get them in now and then. Try Trade-N-Games, Cards Collectors & Games, 4Jays. Not sure if Atari2600.com deals in 8-bit at all.

Here in Canada I get most of mine through a store called The Toyratt. Just today I picked up Krazy Shootout, Megamania, Pitfall 2, Congo Bongo, and Frogger II Threedeep.

Very cool, nice finds, and thanks for the advice! And just to clarify, the XEGS has the most amount of memory of any Atari 8-bit platform, and doesn't have AV-or am I wrong on all that?

Very cool, nice finds, and thanks for the advice! And just to clarify, the XEGS has the most amount of memory of any Atari 8-bit platform, and doesn't have AV-or am I wrong on all that?

The XEGS has 64K of ram, same as 800XL, 1200XL, 65XE and 800XE. the 130XE has 128K of ram out of the box.

The XEGS however has the largest rom, 32K which has the os, basic and the game. XEGS has AV and audio out on seperate RCA jacks.

James

Finally, has anyone seen this game before?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXenG9FKZtE Looks really fun, but I can't find squat on it online.

Yep, it's Arena (or Arena 3000 as published by Microdeal in the UK). I played this a lot since it is 16K and would run on my 600XL. Kinda cool but gets very hard quite quickly. Used to play with my Dad to see who could get to the highest level. IIRC you can play with 2 sticks Robotron style, one for movement and one for directing fire or a single stick where you fire in the direction you were moving when you pressed fire.

I sent a working .cas file to AtariMania but they want to do some more research into the various versions before posting it. It looks like its on Homesoft disk 56 too. The AtariMania page for the Microdeal release is here.

I can post the .cas later if anyone wants it.

The XEGS has 64K of ram, same as 800XL, 1200XL, 65XE and 800XE. the 130XE has 128K of ram out of the box.

The XEGS however has the largest rom, 32K which has the os, basic and the game. XEGS has AV and audio out on seperate RCA jacks.

James

Ok, so what is the advantage to having that 32K of rom, and the os and basic in the XEGS? I would think that it would make it compatible with more games, because you wouldn't have to upgrade the memory-am I wrong?

James

Ok, so what is the advantage to having that 32K of rom, and the os and basic in the XEGS? I would think that it would make it compatible with more games, because you wouldn't have to upgrade the memory-am I wrong?

I all comes to board space and manufacture. Why use 3 chips(os, basic and game) with all it's assoated trackwork and switching when it can be done with one and a slightly modifyed MMU.

Less holes to drill, less trackwork, smaller board etc.

Otherwise, there is no advantage whatsoever.

There are games out there that need more then 64K but there isn't all that many.

James

Edited by sup8pdct

James

I all comes to board space and manufacture. Why use 3 chips(os, basic and game) with all it's assoated trackwork and switching when it can be done with one and a slightly modifyed MMU.

Less holes to drill, less trackwork, smaller board etc.

Otherwise, there is no advantage whatsoever.

There are games out there that need more then 64K but there isn't all that many.

James

Ok, thanks! Spookt mentioned uploading a .cas file-is Atari 8-bit emulation legal? I mean for Atari games, not, for example, Activision games. I know it's fine for the 2600. I'm itching to play some 8-bit Pac-Man and Defender, and if most of the games are legal to emulate, then I don't care about having an actual machine or console.