IGNORED

Help! Missle Command TB isn't working correctly

bigferret

Just got Missile Command TB today (Thanks Atariage for the fast shipping, BTW). Anyway, slapped it into my 7800 and plugged in the good old CX-80 and to my dismay found that the cursor goes nowhere quickly.

I tried both trackball and joystick modes just to be sure, but got no response either way.

So.....my question is. Does this not work on a 7800 for some reason or is there something wrong with my trackball? I bought the TB new a few months ago and it does work fine on other 2600 and 7800 games, so it seems to work.....

Also, the version of Missile Command I purchased is for my trackball, so I'm a bit bummed as you might imagine. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

And Albert - great label on the game!

So.....my question is.  Does this not work on a 7800 for some reason or is there something wrong with my trackball?  I bought the TB new a few months ago and it does work fine on other 2600 and 7800 games, so it seems to work.....

It should work on a 7800, as I played the CX-80 version using an Atari ST mouse on one of my 7800s. If the ST mouse behaves the same was as the CX-80, then I would imagine they should both work. However, I have not tried a CX-80 so I can't directly vouch for one. I don't suppose you have an ST mouse lying around?

Have you tried the CX-80 with any other games in the 7800 since you tried Missile Command TB? Do you have a 2600 system you can try MC TB in?

I just tested all the other copies of MC TB CX-80 I've built, and they all worked fine with the ST mouse. These EPROMs were all burned at the same time as the one in your cart, so it's unlikely that I burned the wrong version. In fact, I think I burned these before Thomas had even sent me any of the other versions (CX-22 and Amiga Mouse).

I'll see if I can find a CX-80 in my garage tomorrow and try it with the 7800. If it doesn't work, I'll also try it on a 2600.

And Albert - great label on the game!

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. However, I'm not going to be happy until we know why you're having problems

I don't have an ST mouse, so that's not an option. But I just played Centipede on the 7800 and the TB seems to be fine.

I also tried the original Missile Command in JS mode and it worked as well. This is odd to be sure. I'm certainly not blaming the game - if anything I'm leaning more towards the trackball not working in trackball mode. But since I don't have any other way to test this theory, I'm stumped.

I added a little more information to my previous post that you may not have seen, so you might want to re-read it.

I don't have an ST mouse, so that's not an option.  But I just played Centipede on the 7800 and the TB seems to be fine.

Does Centipede on the 7800 use the Trak-Ball in joystick or trak-ball mode?

I also tried the original Missile Command in JS mode and it worked as well.  This is odd to be sure.  I'm certainly not blaming the game - if anything I'm leaning more towards the trackball not working in trackball mode.  But since I don't have any other way to test this theory, I'm stumped.

Is this the first time you've tried the trak-ball in trak-ball mode? Other people should be receiving their copies soon (if not already!) so hopefully we'll get more feedback soon. I'd hate to think there's a potential problem either with the carts in general or with the 7800 and the CX-80. I don't know what kind of system was used for testing, but Thomas should be able to answer that.

..Al

2600 Decathalon can use trackball mode.

No really, that's only a glitch. But if Decathlon does NOT react, then we know the TB is the problem. If it does, both sides might still be the reason.

BTW: AFAIK Eckhard used a 7800 for testing, but I will ask.

No, I tried your (Thomas) games on a VCS Jr. with my Cuttle Cart.

The problem here might be that there seem to be two versions of the CX-80 available. The CX-80 originally was compatible with the CX-22, but later Atari added some wire jumpers to the board to make the Trak-Ball compatible with the ST-mouse instead. In a recent discussion in the Atari 8-bit board there also was some confusion about this when Robert Demming tried to use his CX-80 with his ST and with some 8-bit games. I think the ST-mouse compatible version is the more common release, but it might be possible that you've got one with the older design.

I don't know how to tell the two versions apart from the outside though. But if you dare to open up your Trak-Ball, you could check if there are any wire jumpers soldered to your board. If not the CX-22 version of Missile Command TB should work for you.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

The problem here might be that there seem to be two versions of the CX-80 available. The CX-80 originally was compatible with the CX-22, but later Atari added some wire jumpers to the board to make the Trak-Ball compatible with the ST-mouse instead.

Sorry guys, I wasn't aware of that problem. :sad:

We find a good solution, ok :?:

BTW: Here is the link Eckhard was reffering to: Trak-Ball enhanced games?

Bigferret -- Have you had any luck getting this to work? If not, I'd be glad to exchange the cart for another version of Missile Command TB (the CX-22 version, for instance), or just refund your money outright. What I'd really like to get are some pictures of the CX-80 board differences that I can put online so people can determine if the CX-80 Trak-Ball they have is compatible.

..Al

I haven't had time to look inside the trackball as I've been preparing for a vacation (thank God :) ) But when I get back from holiday, I'll determine if the CX-80's problem is due to the fact it needs to be modified. If that's the case I'll send Atariage a picture of the inside of the thing.

I'm not worried about the money or an exchange. Since nobody else has reported a problem, I'm more convinced than ever that it's my trackball.

Thanks for everyone's feedback though.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to people who responded to this thread. After considering taking apart my CX-80 to see if it was modified - I chickened out and came up with a better solution (for me and someone else I hope!)

Albert - I just placed an order for the CX22 version of MC TB. Rather than exchange the one I have, I'd rather wait and see if the new version works. If it does, I'll come up with some way to give away my current CX80 version that isn't working with my trackball to someone here on the board.

Albert - I just placed an order for the CX22 version of MC TB.  Rather than exchange the one I have, I'd rather wait and see if the new version works.  If it does, I'll come up with some way to give away my current CX80 version that isn't working with my trackball to someone here on the board.

Your order will be shipped out tomorrow morning, I hope this cart works out better for you! :)

..Al

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

What, are you trying to kill Thomas, kdross? :P

I'm sure that Albert would be willing to exchange it but once you pay the postage to ship it to him and have it shipped back you might as well just order a second cart instead.

(PS - Albert won't be home untill at least Wednesday so give him a few days before emailing.)