IGNORED

Is anyone going to be getting the New Super Mario Bros. Wii?

imac4567

Are you getting the New Super Mario Bros. Wii  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to buy the New SMB?

• Yes, 3D Super Mario Bros. ACTION!!
    • Naaa, I'm broke
    • NO, not a chance

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Another early review from Oz, this time from aussie-nintendo:

This is Nintendo at their best. New Super Mario Bros. Wii is an amazingly enjoyable game. Casual? Hardcore? Get out of here with that shit, this is universal appeal.

They give it 9.5/10.

1UP loves it as well:

Ultimately, though, the greatest compliment you can pay NSMB Wii is that it feels like the perfect expression of the classic Mario style: It's the true sequel to Super Mario World we've been clamoring for all these years.

See, the funny thing about Mario World is that, despite my callow dismissal of the game back in the day, I played it. I beat the game, and then I completed the Star Road, and then I unlocked all 96 exits, and then I beat it again in the remixed mode. As the years go by, I appreciate more and more just how great a game Mario World truly was... and NSMB Wii improves on it in every way. For every developer or publisher who's ever dreamed of pushing beyond the demographic limitations of "hardcore" or "casual" gamers, here is how you do it. And were that universal appeal NSMB Wii's sole achievement, it would be one of the most important games in recent memory. But, no: It's also ridiculously fun.

They give it an A+.

GameSpot like it, but isn't quite as enthusiastic

Thankfully, New Super Mario Bros. Wii has more than nostalgia to back it up. While it doesn't stray too far from what's come before it, New Super Mario Bros. Wii's tight gameplay, multitude of secrets, accessibility for newcomers thanks to the nifty Super Guide, and some fun multiplayer additions all add up to a great platformer that Mario fans and nonfans alike should enjoy.

They gave it 8.5/10.

I guess today is the day to release reviews - IGN has theirs out today as well, and they like it:

I really, really like New Super Mario Bros. Wii. I have no qualms with saying this is a far better game than the Nintendo DS version, and it could easily be the finest Super Mario Bros. 2D platformer Nintendo's ever created. You should absolutely get a copy, no question.

But, and it's a big "but," Nintendo did not use this opportunity wisely. For as big a project as this could have been, this game's impact is weakened by many factors. It plays it safe with established gameplay with very little in the way of new innovation. It also lacks online multiplayer in a generation where such a feature is expected.

I had a great time plowing through all eight worlds (and then some), but the nagging feeling of it seeming like a step backwards kept creeping in. As a gamer I love New Super Mario Bros. Wii, but as a critic I just couldn't let the issues slide.

They give it 8.9/10.

Edited by vdub_bobby

Another review from Australia, MyWii.com.au loves it:

New Super Mario Bros. Wii is the perfect example of taking a classic game series, finding the best from each instalment and putting it all together to make something special. The single player is exactly what veteran Super Mario fans have been waiting for, while the multiplayer is great with a couple of mates, and even better for gamers new to the series. New Super Mario Bros. Wii is a must have for any platformer fan, and the must have Wii game this year.

They give it 9.5/10.

Kotaku absolutely loves it:

There's really no reason not to buy this game. Despite my time constraints, despite the urgency I felt in needing to complete the game, New Super Mario Bros. Wii was a pleasure to experience from opening screen to post-credits punchline. The fact that it also happens to be the showcase for a new way of helping gamers experience and enjoy a title can almost get lost in the mix. But it shouldn't. The Super Guide, and the ability to unlock video hints inside the title will most definitely change the way we all play games eventually, no matter the system we play them on.

I haven't had this much goodhearted, simple fun on a video game console since my days playing the original Super Mario Bros. snowed in at my house in Maryland. Sure, a lot of what makes a game like New Super Mario Bros. Wii so much fun for someone like me to play is the nostalgia factor. But there's more to it than that. This is a delightful game, one that delivers a lasting and challenging experience without making you feel like you need to learn how to walk again. If Nintendo still needed a reason for people to buy a Wii, this is the ultimate argument winner.

Edit - Plus, since the princess has been kidnapped, who else would they have put in for the 4 player mode? Yoshi? Then they'd of had people complain that he couldn't swallow stuff if they wanted each character to perform the same.

Yeah, but there's got to be somebody; they have 20 years and ~100 games worth of Mario history to draw on here. I was just playing MK Double Dash the other day, that has 20 playable characters. Yoshi? Daisy? Wario? Diddy Kong? Donkey Kong?

I agree, I just don't know who else would make sense.

If you put Wario on there, people would criticize it because they've came to expect certain characteristics from the character (Slow, lumbering, not able to jump as well, etc.) and then the single Toad would seem out of place among Mario and his brothers. Or you could replace Toad with that other one they've created that no one likes (Waluigi?) and it would just be Mario and his brothers, but you'd still have handling issues and characters that seem out of place in a modern Mario sidescroller that relies so much on past tradition and nostalgia. And it would seem strange if you can play Daisy trying to rescue Mario's other girlfriend...

I'm not sure they'd win with any choice of a lineup. You'd be able to criticize pretty much any selection past Mario and Luigi. Should've just had the 4 from SMB2 and retained their unique handling characteristics so you could get slightly different experiences depending on who you were playing as, and would need someone's special ability to accomplish some goals (Like Princess being able to float briefly using her umbrella).

CLICK HERE to see a video of the Super Mario Bros. Wii launch party at Nintendo World on Saturday.

AND CLICK HERE to see a tour of the Mario Museum, which was part of the Nintendo World Launch Party.

Video's are really interesting viewing just to see all the Mario products that have been available over the years.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

Been playing this like crazy for a couple days now and it's an amazing game. Nice mix of mario 1,mario 3, mario land SNES, mario 64 and tons of new stuff.

Totally agree, and the all-on-screen multiplayer is the icing on the cake. This game is a must-buy for anyone that has ever complained that they don't make good 2D platformers anymore.

My only complaint is that it only supports wiimotes. Why no gamecube controller support?

I will get when i find it cheap. Just got super paper mario for wii, it's a great game, but the lengthy cutscenes, with a lot of blabla, slows the game way down. That is really bad for the gameplay.

Mario Galaxy is still full price, Mario Kart is still full price. NSMB Wii will be staying full price for a long time also.

I will get when i find it cheap. Just got super paper mario for wii, it's a great game, but the lengthy cutscenes, with a lot of blabla, slows the game way down. That is really bad for the gameplay.

Mario Galaxy is still full price, Mario Kart is still full price. NSMB Wii will be staying full price for a long time also.

Twilight Princess, the launch game, is still 60 bucks here. It is absolute bullshit of the highest order that Nintendo isn't dropping their game prices. What the hell happened to Player's Choice? The Wii prints money, Nintendo can more than afford to cut us some slack. They are the only publisher that does this so relentlessly.

Twilight Princess, the launch game, is still 60 bucks here. It is absolute bullshit of the highest order that Nintendo isn't dropping their game prices. What the hell happened to Player's Choice? The Wii prints money, Nintendo can more than afford to cut us some slack. They are the only publisher that does this so relentlessly.

They do it cause they can and do sell the top titles with ease and don't need a sales drop to keep up the numbers.

I bought it just to justify having a Wii. Now there are 5 games worth playing on it. Whoop dee freakin' doo. (I'm jaded.... hugs 360...back to story...)

My son and I play it. It is perfect for a 6 year old to play with his Dad. I get him through the tricky parts while he is in a bubble which is a brilliant option.

It's a solid Mario game and a lot of fun. A step better than New Super Mario Bros. on the DS, which was also a great game.

This game is AMAZING. It does EVERYTHING right that a good 2-D platformer needs to do. It is a perfect synthesis of all the things that are great about SMB3 and SMW and then adds more.

We played through the 4th world tonight in totally insane 3 player action and it was amazing. The levels are tougher than SMB3, but not as tough as Lost Worlds. The multi-player feature adds a unique challenge that makes the game fun no matter how you play and keeps the game fresh. There is plenty to do and find and the game has tons of replay value.

If you do not have it yet, go get it.

...do I need to buy another Wii controller to play 4 player?

I'm sorry to say, the answer is yes. For whatever reason, they decided only to support wiimotes with this one.

Presently I have 2 working wiimotes, so I ordered a couple 3rd party wiimotes from Deal Extreme to avoid breaking the bank.

When the money becomes available... I'll get this one too! But Stan, I've got a ? for you... A few posts back, you said you've got no scratch for this... a few posts later, you've got it! Did you finally pull that bank heist you've been planning all these years?

Not yet, still in the planning stages. The copy I played belonged to a pal who brought it over so we poor folk could see what the other half are playing. Someday, I will get it though!

I have it on the DS, so I doubt I'll pick this up. It is unbelievably fun though. It's much like the rest of the 2D Mario's only better.

Just to let you know, this is not a port. It is a completely new game for the Wii.

Wasnt sure if I was going to get it but when my wife saw some game play video she said we will get it She as well as I loved the NES Marios and she's always playing All Stars (convenient having 1.2.3 and world on 1 cart.)

So will pick this up when the funds improve