IGNORED

Anybody else get screwed on Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2?

Atariman

The title really says it all. I decided to go ahead and preorder Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 from Gamestop. I was happy that this would allow me to play as Juggernaut, so I slapped down my money and had it all paid up before it was even released.

Release day... I go and pick it up, come home, and start playing it. I wasn't too concerned about getting Juggernaut right away - I didn't even really think about it since I was having so much fun with the game itself. A day or two later, I decided to investigate how I would go about getting it unlocked. It came with a card that pointed me to a website... a website with the message "Sorry! Juggernaut codes have all been given out!".

W...T...F... By this time, I'm furious. Gamestop is pretty much telling me that they aren't holding up their end of the deal and I'm feeling totally bamboozled. I go into my local Gamestop (knowing that they probably won't be able to do anything) and talk to the folks there. They were understanding and sympathized with me, but said there was nothing they could do. They also went as far as to blame some other company that supposedly "supplied" Gamestop with the codes, with which I disagreed - Gamestop is the one who made the promises, therefore it is Gamestop's problem. Their lawyers can figure out if they want to go after this other company.

I don't even require Juggernaut at this point. If Gamestop simply had some sort of plan in place to make it up to those of us that got the short end of the stick, I'd be totally happy. Right now, they don't seem to be doing that. They're concerned with not making it happen again, but as far as I'm concerned, if they don't make it right somehow, the "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me" rule is going to take effect and I'll make Best Buy my exclusive game supplier.

Has anybody else come across this problem?

Edited by Atariman

What is it with GS and their not honoring the pre-order incentive? DaytonaUSA pre-ordered Katamari from them and they didn't give him his keychain swag. What a bunch of bullshit. I didn't pre-order MUA2, but I have pre-ordered games to get the swag. In particular Universe At War so I could get the exclusive faceplate. Had they NOT given it to me, I would have been furious. I suggest hitting up the Gamestop corporate office and explain to them if they don't make it right for you, you wont be pre-ordering from them again EVER.

What is it with GS and their not honoring the pre-order incentive? DaytonaUSA pre-ordered Katamari from them and they didn't give him his keychain swag. What a bunch of bullshit. I didn't pre-order MUA2, but I have pre-ordered games to get the swag. In particular Universe At War so I could get the exclusive faceplate. Had they NOT given it to me, I would have been furious. I suggest hitting up the Gamestop corporate office and explain to them if they don't make it right for you, you wont be pre-ordering from them again EVER.

Would you happen to know where I can get the corporate office information?

Okay, I just got off the phone with customer service - it looks like if you call in and can prove that you had it preordered (there's information on the receipt you get when you pick it up), they'll take your email address and should send the Juggernaut code to you... It'd be nice if the employees in the store knew this. I'll probably go in and let them know tomorrow.

So yeah, if anybody else had this happen to them, call into customer service and they'll make it right.

Your story sounds like the problems I've experienced. Not getting pre-order swag, not getting pre-ordered games sealed, bait-and-switch promotions are some of the things I've experienced. After being screwed a few times, I started documenting it. I took the problems with documentation first to a store manager, then to a district manager, but always got an excuse that whatever I was asking was out of their hands and against corporate policy. After the local buttheads refused to help, I found the solution to be the website for the BBB at their corporate headquarters in Texas. Even then, corporate never fixed my problems. Instead, they sent a $10 gift card and call the matter resolved.

The real solution is to not give them your business. There are too many alternative websites and retail stores that sell games to give money to a company that treats customers poorly.

Wow, that sucks. They pulled that same type of B.S. with me before too. When I reserved Fable 2 you were supposed to get a card for a free download of the Fable:Pub Games XBLA game. They "didn't have them in yet" when I made my reserve and told me to come back in a week or so. Upon returning, they were out of the download cards.

GameStop just blows, but unfortunately sometimes you can't help but shop there. When there's a release of a big game, you can't always count on being able to get it at Walmart or Target. Plus no other places get the nicer collector editions. I've tried to cut back on my shopping there. I'll usually only buy my new must have games there. Anything used I'll get on eBay, which is always cheaper anyway.

Friend of mine had the same problem, but for some reason, since he had downloaded the demo, that was what invalidated his code. Here's what he did. On every GS reciept there is a code of some sort (I dunno where it is, so don't ask), but he used THAT for his download code and it worked.

They do this to make their codes exclusive. If there were unlimited downloads from the code then the preorder would be worthless because you could get the code on the net afterwards anyway. I'm not saying it's right, but that's probably why they do it that way now.

That doesn't really make sense... how would people get the code from the net? If they make you provide some sort of proof (a unique code on your receipt that can only be used once) that you preordered the game, then no, it wouldn't just be available to everyone on the internet. Even the codes on Xbox Live are unique, so it isn't like you could just post your own code and let a bunch of other people use it.

They can be as 'exclusive' as they want this way - there's no reason for them to have run out of codes unless they did something stupid like allowing people to just enter their email address into a field on their MUA2 "VIP" website to get Juggernaut.

I never buy new games or preorder anything, so I rarely have an issue with GS. I do check all of the used games I buy and check for scratches etc. Their buy 2 get 1 sale they have every once in a while is when I usually do business with them. They have a pretty good selection of used games that are around a year old, so I'm happy with them. The only thing that irritates me is the saying no over and over again to all of their sales pitches at the counter. I know they're trying to make money, but I just don't need any of the crap they are pitching.

I never buy new games or preorder anything, so I rarely have an issue with GS. I do check all of the used games I buy and check for scratches etc. Their buy 2 get 1 sale they have every once in a while is when I usually do business with them. They have a pretty good selection of used games that are around a year old, so I'm happy with them. The only thing that irritates me is the saying no over and over again to all of their sales pitches at the counter. I know they're trying to make money, but I just don't need any of the crap they are pitching.

Yeah....except if your buying one of their games, then they are making money. I mean, they slap sellers in the face with anything from .25 to $5 for a game they paid $60 for, and turn around and try to push it for $55. Now THAT'S bullshit.

Personally, I haven't had problems getting my stuff, but I do it through the site, buy the game and the extra thing through the site (you don't get the extra stuff I assume unless you put it in the cart, even if you are preordering) It all comes in the mail ok, don't got a local store, so no probs there, and the only thing I do is brows the older games when I go outta town anyways.

As for running out of codes....absolute bullshit. They are NOT unique codes. if they did it right, there is more than one code, but it's going to be in the half dozen range at best. What is more likely, is the code was good for a set time (like within the first 24 hours, to keep non preorders from getting the game)

I'd definately complain, take it to corporate, then BBB, depending on what it is, it may be worth it to go to a small claims court or somthing, but honestly, since you likely didn't pay more for the game than normal, there's probably not much to do about it except not buy stuff there.

Edited by Video