IGNORED

check this portable 7800 out

chriswhit

Yep. A portable 7800 would be awesome. That one is a bid large though.

The Longhorn Engineer had designs for a smaller 7800. One of these days, I am going to have to send him an e-mail.

I wish I could find more info on this as I want to build something similar. Was going to do that to one of my spare 2600's but now I'm going to dig some more and see what I find.

It is pretty sweet, but I don't think any classic portable should have a widescreen in it. I hate it when something designed to be 4:3 is stretched to widescreen. My Father-in-law does that with his TV. I can hardly even watch it with everything looking stretched out and distorted. I imagine this 7800 is a little better since you aren't dealing with video of people, but it would still drive me nuts.

I wonder if Parker ever got this made?

http://www.longhornengineer.com/Projects/Atari7800pV1

That's some sweet info you have there. I can use that and hand draw the schematic before cutting my board and try to build one of these. The 2600's look easy but this will be more challenging so I have to attempt it. Wish me luck I'm getting my tools out now and attacking my 7800. If you guys know where there's anymore info on the schematics let me know thanks.

Edited by chriswhit

It is pretty sweet, but I don't think any classic portable should have a widescreen in it. I hate it when something designed to be 4:3 is stretched to widescreen. My Father-in-law does that with his TV. I can hardly even watch it with everything looking stretched out and distorted. I imagine this 7800 is a little better since you aren't dealing with video of people, but it would still drive me nuts.

Actually, lots of Atari 2600 and 7800 games are programmed at 320x200 which is technically closer to 16x9 than it is to 4x3. The all look pretty good on the PSP's widescreen.

Actually, lots of Atari 2600 and 7800 games are programmed at 320x200 which is technically closer to 16x9 than it is to 4x3. The all look pretty good on the PSP's widescreen.

Well maybe they were programmed that way, but there is no disputing the fact that they were meant for play on a 4x3 screen.

• 3 weeks later...

Never got it made. Filling video mod orders has basically taken all my time now. I really want to take this project on. If anyone has the cash I will build it :D

http://www.longhornengineer.com/Projects/Atari7800pV1

What kinda $$$ are we talkin' about?

Probably around the $500 to $700 range. Been awhile since I priced that one up. It would be on the more costly side as it involves allot of soldering.