IGNORED

Your greatest game

WatchVenusSpa

I just realized I haven't shared a greatest game moment yet. Three 2600 games that I vividly remember:

1) getting picked up by the mothership in E.T. back in the day, now that was most gratifying!

2) Finishing or "beating" Fathom, not much of an ending or fanfare there!

3) getting what I thought was a world record in Midnight Magic a few years ago (according to my out of date Twin Galaxies book), until I looked at their website. lol

Edited by save2600

• 6 months later...

It has to be just opening my new Berzerk cart in the car on the way home on Christmas Eve, whilst ignoing my grandmother's pleas not to open it ... knowing that the next day I'd be playing it in my new Atari VCS.icon_mrgreen.gif

Greatest gaming moment, though, is probably realising that I could destroy an AT-AT many times over from behind by mashing the fire button as if my life depended on it.

Edited by Tickled_Pink

By far, the Christmas of '82. My folks were pretty poor then, my dad starting out teaching and all. I didn't have lots of fancy stuff as a kid, nor was I used to getting expensive presents. I'd wanted an Atari for years, but no go. We had to be content with playing it at my cousin's house, or the jackass rich kid's down the street.

After unwrapping our usual assortment of socks and a transformer or two, my mom says to my brother and I 'hey, what's that over by the TV?'

So we look.

And there, sitting in what my eight year old mind remembers as some kind of halo, was a brand new Atari 2600 Vader console. We freaked, started jumping up and down, and then froze.

Lined up in a row behind this dazzling new wonder, were not one, not two, but over *TWENTY* Atari 2600 games. Twenty! That's like getting a PS3 and twenty games nowadays. I mean, that just does NOT happen to a couple of low income kids. The rest of the day is etched in my mind in bright, vivid, detail. Twenty games. See, my mom is a pretty sharp lady. Our local Thrifty was listed in the paper as having a small fire 'in the electronics section'. She was hovering by the door when it opened the next day. She later told me she got the entire pile for less than $100.

No CHristmas before or since has come close, and that amazing day fueled a love for Atari that still burns bright today.

That very same Vader is sitting in my game room right now, polished to a sheen, and looking like it just came out of the box. The carts are a bit grimier, but I still have every one, and they all still work.

That was a wonderful day :)

That is one of the best Atari 2600 Christmas stories I have every read!

It brings a tear...

By far, the Christmas of '82. My folks were pretty poor then, my dad starting out teaching and all. I didn't have lots of fancy stuff as a kid, nor was I used to getting expensive presents. I'd wanted an Atari for years, but no go. We had to be content with playing it at my cousin's house, or the jackass rich kid's down the street.

After unwrapping our usual assortment of socks and a transformer or two, my mom says to my brother and I 'hey, what's that over by the TV?'

So we look.

And there, sitting in what my eight year old mind remembers as some kind of halo, was a brand new Atari 2600 Vader console. We freaked, started jumping up and down, and then froze.

Lined up in a row behind this dazzling new wonder, were not one, not two, but over *TWENTY* Atari 2600 games. Twenty! That's like getting a PS3 and twenty games nowadays. I mean, that just does NOT happen to a couple of low income kids. The rest of the day is etched in my mind in bright, vivid, detail. Twenty games. See, my mom is a pretty sharp lady. Our local Thrifty was listed in the paper as having a small fire 'in the electronics section'. She was hovering by the door when it opened the next day. She later told me she got the entire pile for less than $100.

No CHristmas before or since has come close, and that amazing day fueled a love for Atari that still burns bright today.

That very same Vader is sitting in my game room right now, polished to a sheen, and looking like it just came out of the box. The carts are a bit grimier, but I still have every one, and they all still work.

That was a wonderful day :)

I have to say and agree with others that this is just epic. Your mom did an amazing thing.

an otherwise forgettable game, is Riddle of The Sphinx for me. when i was very young, and before internet and FAQs, i figured out how to beat all three difficulty levels. i got all into it and drew maps, hand-wrote a strategy guide, and even started a pixelated comic with nothing but crayons (actually looked like the game but zoomed in). obviously this took more than one day/sitting but i felt like a damn genius at the time. of course, with all hobby accomplishments, reality eventually sets in when you realize you're the only one who cares.

of course, with all hobby accomplishments, reality eventually sets in when you realize you're the only one who cares.

This should be the next thread. I just proudly announced to th world via the Facebook, the Twitter, the blog, that I am 5th in the world in Wii Fit 3 minute Super Hula Hoop, and I couldn't even get anyone to make fun of me.

I've had a lot of moments in tournaments great and small, which I won't reiterate here. But one of the most unique moments I had was in the Atari World Championship.

The award ceremony was very much like the Olympics. I remember the leaning forward to have the silver medal placed around my neck and the handshake. The most epic moment, though was the flag raising. The national anthem of the gold medalist was played as the flags of all three medalists were raised to the ceiling (The competition held in sort of an arena, so the ceilings were high.)

Seeing the American flag go up, and realizing that what I had just accomplished also brought honor to my country, was an emotional moment. It's one I will never forget.

mine is too x-rated to tell icon_mrgreen.gif

lets just summarise and say it involved a girl, river raid, a challenge, and the winner took all....

....needless to say.... I scored high!

As a fellow australian... NICE!!!! I might have to get a girl over and pull that one ;)

mine is too x-rated to tell icon_mrgreen.gif

lets just summarise and say it involved a girl, river raid, a challenge, and the winner took all....

....needless to say.... I scored high!

As a fellow australian... NICE!!!! I might have to get a girl over and pull that one icon_wink.gif

haha... well it beats all of this "errrrr I scored 2,443.99 after 15 hours on level 545, without going to the toilet, and no one has beaten me in 6 years " haha

icon_lol.gif

just kidding guys.... I'm sure you are all very normal and sociable people!