IGNORED

360 HDD should be compatible with "Xbox 720"

godslabrat

Considering that the life expectancy of a 360 console is less than average, and the 360 has tons of really awesome games, I really hope the next X-Box console is backwards compatible to the point of using the same Hard drive configuration. I like my 360, but knowing how bad the RROD issue is, I wonder about the longevity of my saved games and DLC.

It would be great if I knew that 5 years from now, I wouldn't have to scrounge around for a used 360 to play Beatles Rock Band... I could just slap my hard drive in the "720" and have at it. Microsoft kinda shafted us in the hardware department this generation, but that would be a great way to make it up to us in the next.

But who's to say the HDD would even last that long?

The addons for modern consoles are just a big scam. Really, a fair price for a 60 gig HDD for a PS3 or XBox360 should be about 35 bucks, and not the triple or more that they try to get away with.

That aside, the SATA specification caters for hot-swapping. If they were real about giving customers good value, you'd be able to just plug your own drive into a port and off you go.

No thanks, I don't see something like 20 gig or even 120 gig hd's being very useful in the future.

A transfer cable, assuming the successor will be backwards compatible, that will allow us to transfer game saves and any DLC we're allowed to keep and use on the 360's successor, would be the solution I'd prefer.

But who's to say the HDD would even last that long?

The addons for modern consoles are just a big scam. Really, a fair price for a 60 gig HDD for a PS3 or XBox360 should be about 35 bucks, and not the triple or more that they try to get away with.

That aside, the SATA specification caters for hot-swapping. If they were real about giving customers good value, you'd be able to just plug your own drive into a port and off you go.

The ps3 doesn't have harddisk that come in an enclosure, you can swap it's drive with any sata 2.5" drive you would buy at a computer shop. The xbox360 drive is indeed way overpriced.

I don't see the need for a transfer cable myself. The next console should be backwards compatible and you would then just need to redownload the games...

My proposal would allow you to keep your game saves, something that MS didn't support with backwards compatibility on the 360 (Though you could get your Xbox 1 saves on there by buying some additional 3rd party hardware and jumping through some loops).

I think it's a given that if our 360 content remains playable on the 360's successor (Which I think in itself is pretty doubtful), you could just log in with your gamertag and redownload from your download history.

But your game saves are stored locally and couldn't be transferred like you suggested since they're never uploaded to MS's servers. And if we're talking many gigs of data in XBLA games and such, why would you want to inaugurate your brand new expensive gaming console by having it be on for a day or day and half to download 100 gigs or more of content when a cable plugging into a USB port attached to your old hd would get the job done (After all, that's how we already do it when transferring our content to a larger hd on the 360).

Edited by Atariboy

This sort of thing shouldn't be a problem for at least another 3 years. Neither Sony or Microsoft have customers battering down their door to ask for a new console. They're both undoubtedly working on the 'next big thing' but people are pretty happy with what they've got at the minute.

It might change if Nintendo decide to launch a PSXbox-beating Wii sooner than expected. Console fashions tend to follow in the wake of PC gaming ... the PS2 and Xbox 1 needed replacing because they were falling behind what the PC could do. There's no real sign of that happening yet with the 360 or PS3 - the PC can be made to blow both systems out of the water but you're talking mega money.

So by the time a new Microsoft machine is ready, we may well find that it has a solid state disk instead of a hard drive, so that pretty much negates the original question anyway.

This generation of consoles could go on for another 5 years and I'd be happy (Nintendo aside, but rumor has it that a Wii HD is in the works...)

With the ability to upgrade firmware and offer DL content, these consoles still seem fresh to me, where my PS2 was feeling old this far into it's lifespan. Also, both Sony and MS take a hit on the hardware in order to make their $$$ back in software, so it really makes sense to keep selling this generation of console (especially as the margins between selling price and production price get smaller). Both of these companies are majorly in the red with these consoles. I don't know if MS will ever really be profitable with the XB360.

No thanks, I don't see something like 20 gig or even 120 gig hd's being very useful in the future.

A transfer cable, assuming the successor will be backwards compatible, that will allow us to transfer game saves and any DLC we're allowed to keep and use on the 360's successor, would be the solution I'd prefer.

I agree. My 120GB hard drive is almost full and I really hope they don't throw these itty-bitty hard drives into future consoles (I also like the idea mentioned about just letting us use our own hard drives - I'd even be willing to let the 360 do whatever it needs to do to jumble the data to reduce piracy as long as I could use my own hard drive and swap it out with a larger one whenever I deem it necessary)

I don't see their next console being able to use 360 accessories (I thought it was stupid that it didn't at least use the X-box memory card, yeah, it's 8MB, instead of 512MB, but I had tons of stuff on my old X-box) Anyhow, if the 720did work iwth 360 stuff, I might actually use teh 20GB hdd that only has two games saved on it currently (so still 12 GB free)

I hope the 720 is BC, at the very least though, but the way they halfassed it on the 360, I don't really see that happening. Everybody seems pretty OK with not having BC (just us people who wear out consoles and actually rely on new ones to play old games will give a crap anyways)

Anyhow, yeah, I figure they'll use some sort of solid state drive on the next generation, beyond being greedy bastards, there's no reason I shouldn't be able to use one of my 32 or 64GB SD cards as a save file....and in two to three years when they start talking 720 anyways, I'l probably have 128 or maybe even a 256...they seem te be doubling in size every two years.

And besides, the 360 is still going strong. Useually within 3-4 years of a console life, your already hearing about the nest system, and I haven't heard jack yet. Though, beyond the Wii, the 360 is the most likely to upgrade next, as many developers are saying they are nearing the max of what it can do. Not the same for the PS3, but it's so difficult, that many developers are jumping ship there anyways.

Anyhow, we'll know in a year or two I suppose.

i love how everyone assumes there will be an xbox 720. with all the money MS has had to sink into repairing RROD 360s, and with the economy continuing to tank, can there be enough R&D money to make an affordable next gen platform within the next five years? it may be possible, but the answer is not a definite yes

I think that if Microsoft had supported the original xbox a year longer, and introduced the 360 a year later then now, they would have made more money.

The r&d division would have had more time to test the 360 and this would have been better for the reliability of the console. Maybe they should have kept the original xbox as a low budget machine next to the 360 like sony does. Remember not everybody had the cash to buy the 360 in the first 2 years of it's release. Further more, there still lots and lots of people that don't have a hd display. So they don't benefit from the better graphics that the 360 offers. For developers it is also better if a console has a longer live span. They are comfortable with how to program and have to put minimal effort in programming and can spent more time on creating a story line for the game.

And if Microsoft screws up this time, it could very well be the last console they make. Remember Sega, after releasing a few fiascos like the sega-cd, 32x. The credits of it's public was flooding away fast.

Edited by Seob

i love how everyone assumes there will be an xbox 720. with all the money MS has had to sink into repairing RROD 360s, and with the economy continuing to tank, can there be enough R&D money to make an affordable next gen platform within the next five years? it may be possible, but the answer is not a definite yes

The 360 is turning a profit... has been for over a year. Google it and deal with it.

I realize the MS bashers want to believe it's failing miserably but the real money comes from the games, accessories, and XBOX Live services, not from the console sales.

I think that if Microsoft had supported the original xbox a year longer, and introduced the 360 a year later then now, they would have made more money.

The r&d division would have had more time to test the 360 and this would have been better for the reliability of the console. Maybe they should have kept the original xbox as a low budget machine next to the 360 like sony does. Remember not everybody had the cash to buy the 360 in the first 2 years of it's release. Further more, there still lots and lots of people that don't have a hd display. So they don't benefit from the better graphics that the 360 offers. For developers it is also better if a console has a longer live span. They are comfortable with how to program and have to put minimal effort in programming and can spent more time on creating a story line for the game.

And if Microsoft screws up this time, it could very well be the last console they make. Remember Sega, after releasing a few fiascos like the sega-cd, 32x. The credits of it's public was flooding away fast.

I'm not sure continued XBOX sales would have been such a good thing.

It would have required more engineering to reduce the cost to produce it.

It would have competed with 360 sales.

The big gap in number of big sellers between the 360 and it's rivals probably wouldn't exist without it's head start.

The 360 is turning a profit... has been for over a year. Google it and deal with it.

I realize the MS bashers want to believe it's failing miserably but the real money comes from the games, accessories, and XBOX Live services, not from the console sales.

here is what i googled

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/07/24/xbox-division-profits-for-second-straight-year-but/

Microsoft's Entertainment and Devices Division -- the gaming and Zune portion of the company -- has announced profits for the fiscal year that ended on June 30. Unfortunately for Microsoft, it's 66 percent less profit than last year ($169 million, down from $497 million). In this economy, though, some profit can still seem like a total win.

Revenue from Xbox 360 and PC sales dropped in the fourth quarter by 12 percent, to $110 million, due mostly to reduced Xbox 360 hardware sales and, of course, the fact that the systems cost less and brought in less revenue per console than in 2008. Shipments declined in this period from 1.3 million in 2008 to 1.2 million units. Overall, however, shipments increased from 8.7 million to 11.2 million units. Go figure.

these numbers are taken from press releases, but makes no mention of the 1.15 billion the company put aside to repair 2.5 million RROD consoles. microsoft is powerful and all, but they arent the federal reserve and cant print that money, the past 2 years of profit of 666 million (LOL) barely covers half of this expense. those numbers also are not a great return on the billions MS has invested in the gaming market. overall, it is still a big loser and there cannot be a 100% gaurantee MS invests even more money for a next generation console.

here is what i googled

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/07/24/xbox-division-profits-for-second-straight-year-but/

Microsoft's Entertainment and Devices Division -- the gaming and Zune portion of the company -- has announced profits for the fiscal year that ended on June 30. Unfortunately for Microsoft, it's 66 percent less profit than last year ($169 million, down from $497 million). In this economy, though, some profit can still seem like a total win.

Revenue from Xbox 360 and PC sales dropped in the fourth quarter by 12 percent, to $110 million, due mostly to reduced Xbox 360 hardware sales and, of course, the fact that the systems cost less and brought in less revenue per console than in 2008. Shipments declined in this period from 1.3 million in 2008 to 1.2 million units. Overall, however, shipments increased from 8.7 million to 11.2 million units. Go figure.

these numbers are taken from press releases, but makes no mention of the 1.15 billion the company put aside to repair 2.5 million RROD consoles. microsoft is powerful and all, but they arent the federal reserve and cant print that money, the past 2 years of profit of 666 million (LOL) barely covers half of this expense. those numbers also are not a great return on the billions MS has invested in the gaming market. overall, it is still a big loser and there cannot be a 100% gaurantee MS invests even more money for a next generation console.

Read the article. That pre-tax charge was a policy change extending existing warranties. That means it extended the warranty to all systems that had failed to that date (retroactive). It wasn't a recurring charge. Ongoing failures under that policy change should be reflected in quarterly profits (income - expenses).

BTW, the number you quote is the high end estimate. Actual could have been higher or lower.

You'll also notice that the profits the next year covered about half of that by itself on top of paying ongoing repairs.

That's assuming Microsoft isn't being creative with the accounting. But then they are publicly traded and that could get them in trouble.

Edited by JamesD

im not hating on microsoft. i own all three current gen consoles and the 360 and wii split the majority of my current gen play (i use my ps3 mostly to play ps2 games on my HD set), i just dont believe a next gen console is a 100% definite from microsoft.

Microsoft has never retreated from a profitable venture.

They might postpone it if the economy continues to lag but half a billion in profits in 98 is pretty difficult to ignore.

They still have to do the next smaller die version of the current chips (supposedly as a single chip) which will probably result in a cheaper 360.

If they can get the 360 down to $100 that would really stimulate profits from XBOX Live.

im not hating on microsoft. i own all three current gen consoles and the 360 and wii split the majority of my current gen play (i use my ps3 mostly to play ps2 games on my HD set), i just dont believe a next gen console is a 100% definite from microsoft.

Microsoft has never retreated from a profitable venture.

They might postpone it if the economy continues to lag but half a billion in profits in 98 is pretty difficult to ignore.

They still have to do the next smaller die version of the current chips (supposedly as a single chip) which will probably result in a cheaper 360.

If they can get the 360 down to $100 that would really stimulate profits from XBOX Live.

a $100 price point would be fantastic, even for an arcade. its sad that the original xbox never reached that point and the ps2 just now got to that point, 8 years after launch

Last time I did some checking a while bac,k as has already been pointed out, they seem to winning in getting the division to be consistently profitable or close to profitable in the last few quarters. They'll probably never reclaim their huge losses from the original Xbox and the 360 in it's first several years, but those cost are sunk cost and don't matter as they plan for the future. Quitting now isn't going to erase those losses.

If they can formulate a plan that doesn't involve massive losses for the divison in the development stage and during the first several years of production., I'd count on a Xbox 720. They didn't burn hundreds of millions of dollars just to abandon the business when they've finally established the company in this marketplace.

Worst case I can envision is a console that's somewhat underpowered perhaps to the competition, but with the state Sony is in and Nintendo's new culture that doesn't focus on the power of their hardware, they probably don't even have to worry about that.

Edited by Atariboy

Let's not talk about a new generation of consoles yet. The current one has yet to prove itself, much less be pushed to its absolute limits.

Uh...yeah, but that could be said of pracically any console/generation. Only a few ever really do reach the top end of what they can do, and it's because of long lifes. Right now, the 360 is roughly the same age as the ori8ginal box, when Microsoft pulled the plug :P (edit sorry, I meant, when Microsoft released the 360, the plugg pulling happened roughly a year later)

As for making money, the console itself is making money now, not that that's the important part anyways, it's the games/accessories/etc that matter. Besides, I don't believe in arguing with idiots (I'm actually smart enough to know I can't win against the def/dumb/mute people out there)

Edited by Video

• 2 weeks later...