IGNORED

Zaku for the Atari Lynx: Official thread

DeathAdderSF

And finally the Lynx encryption is cracked! See the Programming thread for details.

Ah, very cool :)

I was going to work on a 2x512KB version of Harry's loader next week, but I guess that's fairly useless at this point.

I'd like to know how this was developed. C? ASM? Are there any reasonably easy design tools for the Lynx?

Also, I'd be lying if I said I didn't wish that there were a Game Boy Advance version of Zaku. I have a Lynx in my collection but the screen is so milky. What I wouldn't give for a little TFT action on this system! Has anyone ever attempted to update the hardware? The system would be fantastic if it were only smaller, lighter, more power efficient, and had a better screen. As it is, it's awfully hard to go back to it after eight years of handhelds with small form factors and razor-sharp displays.

The game was written in assembly, using a combination of Epyx's tools on the Amiga and some things from BLL. Some custom tools were written as well for things like building the game binary, etc.

As for design tools, it depends upon what you mean by "easy." Most of the work on Zaku was done in Paint and Notepad, just transferring designs on paper into pixels and code. But I think the Lynx is a very easy machine to work with.

I can definitely understand your gripe about LCDs, though. We tried to design much of the artwork to accommodate for the Lynx's screen, but you can only do so much ;) .

And finally the Lynx encryption is cracked! See the Programming thread for details.

Ah, very cool :)

I was going to work on a 2x512KB version of Harry's loader next week, but I guess that's fairly useless at this point.

True. Wookie wrote a very small loader for me. It has no directory structure anymore. It justs loads in the first 512 bytes from the cart. The first 256 bytes are encrypted and the next 256 bytes are up to you. The execution starts at $0300 for your own 256 byte bootstrap.

So there is no startup sprite, no directory, no initialisation. The good thing is that 512 bytes fits into any cart as the smallest block size is 512 bytes.

I am going to write a Posix-like filesystem to cc65 with overloaded drivers for different memory devices like flash, rom, ram, eeprom...

But some assembly freaks can do whatever they like.

--

Karri

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, Andreas.

I ordered Zaku some days ago and hope to get it soon.

By the way, does Paypal automatically give you my adress when you get some money from me ?!? I am asking, since I have not left an e-mail (nor a reply) with my postal adress...

Your payment was received, thank-you. You were sent an e-mail confirmation when payment was received; it went to the e-mail address that you have on file with PayPal. A shipping confirmation e-mail will also be sent to this address.

It is standard for PayPal to send along your mailing address. We have it on file, to send out your copy of the game.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me directly by e-mail for the quickest response, or here at the forums.

Have a nice day.

• 1 month later...

Hello.

It would be nice to know how many copies of this great game called ZAKU have been sold at today

We are quickly nearing the 300 mark.

and the quantity for each country

I haven't kept a running tally, but our top sales from overseas customers are coming from France and Germany (Merci ! Danke! :cool:). Zaku is also selling more units to customers in Japan than any of our previous commercial releases, something I am quite proud of.

If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Also, there's a nice, interesting review of Zaku on MobyGames - Zaku reviewed on MobyGames.

Edited by Clean Larry

I ordered Zaku at the day it was available, but I never received it as it probably was lost with shipment (and I waited a loooooong time).

With the support of Brandon Cobb I ordered Zaku again, and this week it arrived at my home.

This game is GREAT!

I know that most has already been said, but I just had to say it again :)

TailChao and Super Fighter Team (and the ones I forgot :ponder: ), you did a great job.

Thanks!

I hope they do. Given the quality of this game, I'd likely buy any release they make.

REALy that good? as good as Rygan? thanks

Why don't you read all the comments in this topic. Or read all the reviews listed on Super Fighter Teams website. Or even better: why don't you buy your own copy and try the game yourself.

Edited by SwedenLynxer

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone.

I was recently featured on a listener request episode of the "RetroGaming with Racketboy" podcast, where I was interviewed about Zaku, Beggar Prince, the future of Super Fighter Team, and et cetera. My interview appears in the second half of the show.

*** Brandon Cobb interviewed on the RetroGaming with Racketboy podcast

Thanks for your attention.

Okay, so here's an unusual question that I cannot avoid asking: I happen to hate "buggy" games, i.e. games where the enemies look like huge (or not so huge) insects and you have to either avoid them or kill them. Maybe it's arachnophobia or something else, but those kinds of games are unplayable for me. Case in point: Trevor McFur on the Jaguar. The bosses look like huge insects and there are also large spiders and eyeballs to deal with, and they're just kind of unsettling. (I had the same problem with Shadow of the Beast on the Lynx.)

Now, I see that all reviews of Zaku point out the large number of bosses to deal with. Do any of the bosses or ANY other on screen creatures look like insects? That question is probably the only thing standing between me and this game. I know some of you may think this question is kind of amusing but I'm asking those people who are familiar with this game and don't mind helping out a fellow Lynx fan. If you have any info related to this question, it is most appreciated. Thank you.

Okay, so here's an unusual question that I cannot avoid asking: I happen to hate "buggy" games, i.e. games where the enemies look like huge (or not so huge) insects and you have to either avoid them or kill them. Maybe it's arachnophobia or something else, but those kinds of games are unplayable for me. Case in point: Trevor McFur on the Jaguar. The bosses look like huge insects and there are also large spiders and eyeballs to deal with, and they're just kind of unsettling. (I had the same problem with Shadow of the Beast on the Lynx.)

Now, I see that all reviews of Zaku point out the large number of bosses to deal with. Do any of the bosses or ANY other on screen creatures look like insects? That question is probably the only thing standing between me and this game. I know some of you may think this question is kind of amusing but I'm asking those people who are familiar with this game and don't mind helping out a fellow Lynx fan. If you have any info related to this question, it is most appreciated. Thank you.

I'll PM you a reply to this with what I've found. I was thinking about posting here, but I don't want to be griped at for posting spoilers. ;) :P