IGNORED

Do atari 2600 games use eproms?

endrien

Welcome to AtariAge :)

It depends on the cartridge. Some carts use EPROMs, while others use mask ROMs (which can't be erased). EPROMs must be erased with a UV light, EEPROMs (Electrically Erasable Programable ROM) and flash ROMs on the other hand can be erased by the programmer.

Thanks, would you be able to tell me what kind of eprom they use?

Also is it possible to buy new carts and new cases anywhere?

It depends on the cartridge. Some carts use EPROMs, while others use mask ROMs (which can't be erased). EPROMs must be erased with a UV light, EEPROMs (Electrically Erasable Programable ROM) and flash ROMs on the other hand can be erased by the programmer.

This also depends on the cartridge ;) Some 4K games will have 2732, while others will have 2532. Then there are 8K games ect... It is easiest to buy blank PCBs from the AtariAge store (which is closed at the moment)or member CPUWIZ, I'm sure he has some. You will have to hunt down old carts for the shells.

This also depends on the cartridge ;) Some 4K games will have 2732, while others will have 2532. Then there are 8K games ect... It is easiest to buy blank PCBs from the AtariAge store (which is closed at the moment)or member CPUWIZ, I'm sure he has some. You will have to hunt down old carts for the shells.

But the Batronix BX32 Batupo can't program 2532 chips can it?

But the Batronix BX32 Batupo can't program 2532 chips can it?

The only reason to use a 2532 would be to recycle a PCB with a ROM in it (read: old original PCB, given it has a DIP ROM) or repairing a random Spectravideo/Spectravision cart. ;)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The only reason to use a 2532 would be to recycle a PCB with a ROM in it (read: old original PCB, given it has a DIP ROM) or repairing a random Spectravideo/Spectravision cart. ;)

Sorry to bump up this old thread but, can I ask CPUWIZ to

"elaborate" on this just a little bit?

1) In regards to the "random spectravideo/vision cart", does this simply imply that some spectravideo/vision cartridges contain eproms inside them, much like some random parker brothers qbert cartridges do? Or do you mean that some boards inside spectravideo/vision carts are compatible with both roms and eproms?

2) In regards to the 2532 eprom, which old atari boards are "compatible" with them? Presumably any old atari board that houses a 4Kb rom chip? (and is that "hassle-free compatible"?...in other words...no cutting of traces, no jumping of pins with wires, and certainly no instalations of hex inverters)

I am just trying to find which, if any, donor cartridge candidates exist for building fast & easy eprom conversion carts for use on the Atari 2600. And for me personally, desoldering roms, programming eproms, and resoldering eproms is fast, fun, and easy. But having to do additional mods to the boards is time consuming and unexciting to me.

Well, let me know.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Well,

no reply yet but I thought of some more questions so I figured I would add them in here.

I noticed that the board inside one of my 2600 Panda cartridges has etches where (presumably?) a hex inverter chip could be installed on the board. I also noticed that the ROM installed on the board has some wires (bridges) connected to it. (again presumably modifying the ROM chip to operate properly where an EPROM could be used instead? In short, would installing the hex inverter chip, and replacing the modified rom with a programmed eprom work?

(assuming an eprom of the same kb size as the rom is used of course)

Also noticed that just by looking closely inside the cartridges (you need not even open or damage them to see this) that certain coleco and m-network brand 2600 carts have larger boards inside then others. (mostly the later releases that they made which would most likely be due to larger memory being used) Especially noticed how extremely heavy my 2600 Burgertime cartridge is compared to all the other 2600 m-network carts. Do any of these examples possibly mean eproms may be installed on the boards rather then roms?

Has anyone yet compiled a master list of compatible sac carts (donors) that can be used to do easy cart conversions?

I have run dozens of searches here, at digital press forums, and on google and have found almost nothing.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

1) In regards to the "random spectravideo/vision cart", does this simply imply that some spectravideo/vision cartridges contain eproms inside them

Yes.

2) In regards to the 2532 eprom, which old atari boards are "compatible" with them? Presumably any old atari board that houses a 4Kb rom chip? (and is that "hassle-free compatible"?...in other words...no cutting of traces, no jumping of pins with wires, and certainly no instalations of hex inverters)

Basically all of them (even games larger than 4K), but they do require an inverter. A 2532 would be ideal for this situation because it has the same pin out as the mask ROMs Atari used. Otherwise, the new PCBs being made typically use 27 series EPROMs.

Also noticed that just by looking closely inside the cartridges (you need not even open or damage them to see this) that certain coleco and m-network brand 2600 carts have larger boards inside then others. (mostly the later releases that they made which would most likely be due to larger memory being used) Especially noticed how extremely heavy my 2600 Burgertime cartridge is compared to all the other 2600 m-network carts. Do any of these examples possibly mean eproms may be installed on the boards rather then roms?

Some 8K Coleco games use an EPROM board. Burger Time cart is heavier because it has extra RAM.

Has anyone yet compiled a master list of compatible sac carts (donors) that can be used to do easy cart conversions?

I have run dozens of searches here, at digital press forums, and on google and have found almost nothing.

People generally use new PCBs for reproductions and homebrews. If you really want to recycle old PCBs, it will be hard to do anything over 4K.

In regards to (1):

Virtually any game could exist as eprom straight from a manufacturer that normally used mask roms. If, for example, production qty. had been run and then was discovered to be short, eproms could be used to make up the difference without the costly procedure of setting up for another run.

Thanks so much for the replies.

Ok so is all of this correct so far:

1) Some Spectra video/vision cartridges, some Parker Brothers Qbert cartridges, and some 8k Coleco cartridges contain eprom boards rather then rom boards and can be used as hassle free donors for eprom projects. (meaning simply unsolder the eprom, and resolder the reprogrammed eprom with NO wires, jumpers, bridges, hex inverters, etc. needed)

2) All Atari brand cartridges that contain ROMS, can be used as hassle free donors if you use a 2532 eprom rather then a 2732 eprom. (meaning simply unsolder the rom, and resolder a programmed eprom with no additional work needed)

Any others? Activision and Imagic for example? Anyone know of any eprom boards or easy swaps on those?

I understand that people generally use new PCBs for reproductions and homebrews, and I have purchased a few here and there from Atari Age to see what they are like, but I prefer to find a way to recycle old PCBs if possible, as it will reduce the amount of waste that I will have when I am finished. Furthermore, those new pcb's only fit inside atari brand cartridge shells, again not what I am looking for in all my projects. Lastly, I have fast, easy, and cheap access to hundreds of sacrificial lamb cartridges locally, whereas ordering and waiting and paying for new boards is time consuming, expensive, and wasteful.

Thanks for answering my questions.

I will pay it forward.

2) All Atari brand cartridges that contain ROMS, can be used as hassle free donors if you use a 2532 eprom rather then a 2732 eprom. (meaning simply unsolder the rom, and resolder a programmed eprom with no additional work needed)

No, you still need an inverter (as I said). I never heard of Q*Bert carts having EPROMs, but it is certainly possible.

• 8 years later...

No, you still need an inverter (as I said). I never heard of Q*Bert carts having EPROMs, but it is certainly possible.

I can confirm they did at least for 400/800/XL carts... 2764 in mine.

qbert

Edited by lowlevel