IGNORED

Atari 2600 Euchre Released

Albert

http://www.wwnet.net/~eeid/station26/euchre.htmlErik Eid has announced that his Atari 2600 card game Euchre is now complete and may be purchased in cartridge form at Hozer Video Games. The price is $16 and includes the game and manual, and you may purchase the game in either PAL or NTSC format. In addition, the first 100 NTSC cartridges are a special edition that Erik has signed and numbered. You can learn more about Euchre (including downloading the game to try in your favorite emulator, as well as reading the manual) by visiting the Euchre Development Page.

• 2 months later...

I FINALLY got around to re-learning this card game, and playing the VCS version on the emu, and I must say that this is perhaps the BEST card game for the VCS ever! I just sort of spend hours sitting there playing. My best game was 10-7 and the last few hands were SOOOOO close.

I LOVE Euchre. Will it ever be available here at AA?

Trumped Stan 8)

I LOVE Euchre.  Will it ever be available here at AA?

Thanks for the raves, StanJr!

I haven't discussed finding a new home for Euchre with the Als yet. (For the readers who didn't know, Euchre was originally sold by Hozer Video Games, which is now out of business.) However, seeing that there is still interest in the game gives me some incentive to do so! :)

This game rocks. No two ways about it. I just downloaded the ROM and played for about an hour. I hope AA can offer this one for sale!!

My math teacher in high school taught me how to play, and I've been addicted ever since. Now that it's on the 2600.. yikes.

They should throw in a limited deck of playing cards with the cart.   :)

That's a pretty cool idea, although I don't want to know how much it would cost to get a "limited deck" of playing carts printed. I assume by "limited" you mean printed with something unique on the back, such as the Euchre label graphic. :)

..Al

If Euchre is sold by Atariage (for $30 or less) I WILL buy it.  That is my promise to you.

Promising Stan :)

I'd prefer $20. I think that's around what Hozer was selling it for before Randy closed (ironically or not I never did place my order for it). If the AA store listed it at that price I'd order one right away. :D

I'm still having loads of fun with the game, but I do not fully understand the whole "bowering" stuff with the Jacks, I've read the rules, but could somebody explain it for idiots like me? I'm losing tricks I think I should win and winning sometimes when I think I should lose!

:? :? :?

Bowered Stan

Bowers are gay :-) ha ha ha

The Jack of the trump suit is the highest card value in the game, it is guaranteed to take a trick. No other card can beat it. That is called the right bower (Or the left, I can't remember, but it's the good one)

The Jack of the opposite suit, but same color (Clubs if trump is Spades, Hearts if trump is Diamonds, Etc...) is the "left" bower, and is the second most powerfull card in the deck. Nothing beats it but the right bower.

If you think this is complicated :-) Try Pinochle!!!! That goes Ace 10 King Scince when does a 10 beat a king???? ha ha.

I do not fully understand the whole "bowering" stuff with the Jacks [snip]  I'm losing tricks I think I should win and winning sometimes when I think I should lose!

That's ok. The altered card sequence is one of the hardest parts of Euchre to get used to.

Cupcakus' explanation of the strength of the right and left bower is on the mark. It may still help to see a full layout of the ranks of the cards, though.

Let's say clubs is trump. This makes the jack of clubs the right bower and the jack of spades the left bower. So, the rank of the cards in each suit, from high to low, is:

Hearts: A K Q J 10 9

Diamonds: A K Q J 10 9

Clubs: JC JS A K Q 10 9 (JC = jack of clubs, JS = jack of spades)

Spades: A K Q 10 9

Notice that the jack of spades is counted as a club. This might be what's throwing you off - despite the suit printed on the card, the left bower is considered to be the same suit as the right bower. Therefore, in this example, the jack of spades is truly a club.

Hope this helps!

If you think this is complicated :-) Try Pinochle!!!! That goes Ace 10 King Scince when does a 10 beat a king???? ha ha.

There's worse out there! I've never played, but in Calabrasella, the 3 and 2 are higher than the Ace and King, and the 8, 9, and 10 are left out.

Even more confusing is Ombre. The 8, 9, and 10 are again removed. There are three or four top trumps:

1. Spadille - always Ace of spades

2. Manille - 2 of trump if black, 7 of trump if red

3. Basto - always Ace of clubs

4. Punto - Ace of trump if red, none if trump is black

Then, in black suits, the sequence is K Q J 7 6 5 4 3 2, and in red suits, the sequence is K Q J A 2 3 4 5 6 7.

I read about these in a book on three-player card games. They scared me! :)