IGNORED

Finally, a 7800!!! Yeay!!!! and... Duh... and OW....

desiv

OK, I finally got a 7800.. Only about 18 years after I wanted one, but.. :-)

And my method.. weird.. I won (maybe) a Vectrex on EBay.. (Still waiting from a 0 point seller.. fingers still crossed.. but he says he shipped it a few days ago, I won the auction 4 weeks ago, but that's a different story..)

So I look around and find a Tempest clone for the Vectrex recently written that works with the Atari 2600 Driving controller... (Getting closer..)

So I start looking.. I see some, but then I get to thinking.. Well, why not get a 2600 AND a controller... sweet.. OK.. Then I start looking around and researching.. Hmmm the 7800 plays 2600 AND 7800 games.. yeah.. OK, I'll get a 7800 and driving controller...

So I ended up getting a 7800 with games and no controllers.. :-) Call me impulsive and erratic.. But I got my 7800 last night (still waiting for the Vectrex tho..) and started playing..

Now, you might ask, how can I play with no controllers?? I'm just that good..

er..

OK, I also have a Coleco Adam, and I'm using it's controllers...

They seem to work for every game except Choplifter, which I think is my only 2 button game.. Hmm... Connection?? Coincidence?? :-)

Now for the DUH!! I was really excited about the 7800, and needed more games, so I bid on a 4 game set. And won.. THEN I checked the list of games coming with my 7800.. er.. um.. I knew I had at least 1..er OH, I already have 3 of them!! :-( Ooopps.

A little too impulsive.. Oh well, 1 more new game...

P.S. The colecovision controllers are very quickly destroying my hands in painful ways.. Typing hurts alot.. OW...

Are the original 7800 controllers better? (They'd have to be...)

DBV

:D I thought I only did that :D

I won an auction of 15 sealed 7800 games yesterday and when I got home and checked my list, I realized I already had every single one of them. Furthermore, all but 6, I already had a box for! Oops! :) Oh well...now I have sealed ones which can be huge trade bait if and when I decide to do so. :)

Cap

Heh, I used to do that all the time, win auctions for things I had (or mostly had). I started keeping a want list on paper by the computer and marking things off. Low tech but it works.

Funny thing is, once I get to the last few things for a system I wind up buying packages with a ton of stuff I don't want to get the things I do want, then selling or trading off the extras.

Anywho, while the 7800 sticks didn't win any awards, they're a whole lot better than the Colecovision sticks. You may also like the 7800 Euro pads although I'm not a fan of them myself.

Eric

You can also use a Sega Genesis controller...but only for the games that only have a one-button function (Joust, Donkey Kong, Galaga, etc.; Choplifter!, Dark Chambers, Pole Position II, etc. won't work). That actually works better with some 2600 games, rather than the ol' joystick, like H. E. R. O., which I was just playing a couple of hours ago, as a matter of fact...yee-HA!

I always use a Genesis controller with my 2600, it's easier on the hands and I keep the original 2600 joystick nice.

The 7800 Pro-Line Joysticks are killer on the hands, and playing Double Dragon is a pain. Both of mine have problems. One of them has a bad joystick, making response slow, the other's buttons stick.

How old are your 7800 joysticks, or did you get some off the net recently or something?

Mine are just flat-out GONE, period. About 10 years ago I let a friend of mine borrow the console and games once I got my Genesis and was just playing that, when he said one of the joysticks wasn't doing something or other. I said no big deal, lets take it apart. I couldn't figure out what was wrong (nuts, I used to be able to fix old 2600 joysticks), but then it didn't work AT ALL after that, and the other one died pretty quick after that too.

I need to get me some two button controllers that work with the 7800, as I just recently started playing it a couple of months ago, as I miss playing two-button games like Choplifter, since the Genesis pads don't work on games that require two separate button functions. :(