IGNORED

question about storage containers

Keir

I recently bought one of those Iris drawer units as suggested in "How To Organize your Game Collection". It's great except for one thing. The drawer stoppers are actually part of the drawer! Did they change the design or was I mistaken that they're supposed to be removeable?

Unless someone has a better idea, I guess it's time to get out the saw and hack those little buggers off...

Keir

I guess I should have posted a link to what I was talking about:

http://www.atariage.com/howto/storage_tips/index.html

Those K-Mart bins have been on sale for a while. I'm sure they're great for other things (storing consoles or controllers, maybe?) but nothing beats these Iris drawers for storing loose Atari carts.

What I did was go to dollar general, buy these stackable drawer case things for like $2 a piece. They work great. The drawers come out, so if you want to look at all your games. I have filled 1 with Genesis games(like all boxed, that's why it's full) and another with NES games. I'm waiting until I get at least 50 2600 games before I start putting them in one of those because if it's not nearly full, the games fall over and stuff. They're a nice cheap case, that does its job.

Yeah, i could do that. Or place my non working Vader behind them. Or place some controllers behind them(I do this with the nes games, I have my NES Advantage in there). They look kewler where I have them though :D , stacked where anybody who comes in my room can see them :)

I just put them in one of those cases, and it's ODD how exact they fit. I can fit 3 rows horizontally, and if any of my games were even 1/2 Centimeter bigger, they would not fit. They don't even have room to shake or anything. Now if I can only get about 40 more carts then I'll have it full. But for now the extra storage space will go to my extra joysticks and paddles.

Keir,

Just went home real quick during lunch and found the Office Max had devlivered my shelves.

I see what you mean about the stoppers. It's a little difficult to see what's clear in the back if you can't pull out the drawer completely (short of sticking your hand back there and pulling the cart out).

I had to get back to work so I couldn't "play" with it too much. But it does look possible (maybe?) to cut off that stopper with a utility knife?

Cap

I use those old wooden tape cassette holders for loose cartridges. The ones with the wooden slats in them that hold 100 cassettes each. I've got a few that have "Napa Valley" branded onto a side--I remember that company made lots of wooden storage items years ago.

You'll have to remove some of the slats to maximize the cartridge holding capacity but you can get about 90 standard cartridges in one rack with little trouble.

The racks have a couple of holes in the back panel for screws to hang them and they look great on a wall filled up, and if you have to move them they are easy to handle.

The ones I have only cost about $2-$3 each at thrift stores.