IGNORED

Search for Sound Tools

matashen

Hello Lynx-fans,

for better sound support in my next games i want make some tests.

I decided to search some test-software that i can try the settings for the soundchip without compiling my source again and again.

Is SFX the only soundtool in the world, or is there a other app, that i can download somewhere an make tests on my flashcard.

Regards

Matthias

Unfortunately, there really isn't a better method right now than just recompiling the game's code. Even Epyx's HSFX on the Amiga only allows you to audition one waveform at a time, which isn't extremely helpful for paired instruments. The music composing system (HSPL) requires a recompile for every audition of a piece, and additional time is added if you've modified the engine.

The only help I can really give you is that feedback register settings $2A and $3 in non-integrate mode chorus very nicely with each other and the base square wave. You can get a lot of use out of these waveforms paired together in different combinations. Having two channels with $2A with a bit of a frequency offset is a particularly interesting sound. You'll get the most mileage out of the Lynx's sound chip through channel pairing.

The best thing to do would probably be to extract the sound core of Handy, make some improvements, and place it in it's own isolated program where you can play with each individual channel's settings. But good luck, regardless.

Edited by TailChao

Hello Lynx-fans,

for better sound support in my next games i want make some tests.

I decided to search some test-software that i can try the settings for the soundchip without compiling my source again and again.

Is SFX the only soundtool in the world, or is there a other app, that i can download somewhere an make tests on my flashcard.

Regards

Matthias

In MegaPak (a commercial release by Songbird) there is a Sountool that can produce every possible sound that the Lynx is capable of generating. By using the SFX you have millions of combinations with millions of duplicated entries. The MegaPak tool has "only" 6185 unique combinations sorted by the length of the sequence. A large portion of the cart is used for the settings of the sounds. The term "symmetric waveform" means that if you use the integrator there is an equal number of ones and zeroes in the waveform. The sound will not drift in the integrator and get clipped.

This tool lets you change the settings on the fly while you are listening to the music. So you can hear how the sound is when it plays Mozart or Ragtime or something else instead of just listening to static noise.

--

Karri

The best thing to do would probably be to extract the sound core of Handy, make some improvements, and place it in it's own isolated program where you can play with each individual channel's settings. But good luck, regardless.

handy sound core is not very good, but i did a sound core on the pc already years ago.

which is exactly for that purpose. check sound on the pc, then transfer it to lynx.

-> http://lynxdev.atari.org

handy sound core is not very good, but i did a sound core on the pc already years ago.

which is exactly for that purpose. check sound on the pc, then transfer it to lynx.

Wow, this is quite an excellent tool! Wonderful job.

Wonderful you have up dateed your website.

Its great that you open the tool for everyone.

i hope developers will honor this.

What i need/or want is an tool for testing noise directly on lynx.

I have you tool you know, but to play with some noise it would be (maybe) useful to have an tool directly running on the lynxhardware.

Regards

Matthias

Wow, this is quite an excellent tool! Wonderful job.

Thanks.

Sorry that UI is shit, but this thing was started <2003 and evertime i need a feature i added it.

If you use serial->comlynx and a loader card like simis, alpine games, lynx reloaded, etc... you can send the effect diretly to the lynx for testing.

But i would advice not to use it with the tracker, because the serial speed is quiet low...

for effects, what is saved is a (register or delay, value) tuple, which can be played simply from an interrupt driven driver.

most useful is to set effect speed to VBL and put the driver to the VBL interrupt.

Thanks.

Sorry that UI is shit, but this thing was started <2003 and evertime i need a feature i added it.

If you use serial->comlynx and a loader card like simis, alpine games, lynx reloaded, etc... you can send the effect diretly to the lynx for testing.

But i would advice not to use it with the tracker, because the serial speed is quiet low...

for effects, what is saved is a (register or delay, value) tuple, which can be played simply from an interrupt driven driver.

most useful is to set effect speed to VBL and put the driver to the VBL interrupt.

No worries about the UI. I'm used to Epyx's tools which aren't much more organized.

The real nice thing here is that it's easy to audition two voices at once and hear how they chorus instead of spending several minutes swapping floppy disks between an Amiga and PC or fiddling with loose parallel cables to get things to upload to Howard.