IGNORED

Interference on Channel F System 2

Atari2008

I recently bought a Channel F System 2, and it's awesome, I like having detachable controllers and sound coming out the TV. ;) The only drawback I noticed, compared to my System 1, is that the image on the TV screen doesn't seem to be as clear. As soon as I fire it up I notice vertical lines on the screen that seem to come and go, I'm assuming that it's interference, although it doesn't happen with the System 1 or any of my other consoles.

I bought a new RCA cable hoping that'll be the solution, but no improvement. I also tried connecting it using a Coaxial (F-type) to Female RCA Adapter as opposed to the TV/Game Switchbox and no improvement either. I was thinking of trying it on a different TV to see if that'll help.

Let me know your thoughts on what I could do, short of opening it up, since I wouldn't know what to do at that point. ;)

I think it's a case of less shielding. Though it could be because the sound is piped into the TV, where the original was in a speaker. Though IMO, I'd think the magnetic speaker in the system would cause more interference than putting sound through the cable would....but then, they may have had sound out the system for a reason. Who knows?

Hmm. With my F2, the picture is fine but the sound has a lot of hiss/static. I just turn the sound down a bit, so it's just loud enough that I can hear the game sounds without too much background noise; Channel F audio is nothing to write home about anyway!

I'm just glad the thing works 100% (well, more like 95% if you discount the small sound issue). It's my first Channel F in four different systems that fully works.

I was thinking that it might be an issue of less shielding since the System 1 is much heavier and I know that the FCC was stricter in the early days.

I guess I'm really lucky since my System 1 works flawlessly, but then again I bought it from Atari2600.com and they had the system serviced before selling it. I'm glad the System 2 works as well as it does (the only draw back is the screen interference) considering that I got it off eBay and it wasn't well taken care of since it was pretty dirty. Everything on it seems to work except buttons 3 and 4 can tend to get stuck but the controllers work perfectly.