IGNORED

Atari Heavy Sixer vs. Sears Heavy Sixer

seanhq

I was having a discussion with one of my gaming buddies tonight about Atari heavy sixers and he asked me what the difference was between a Atari branded one and a Sears branded one. I pretty much told him hardware wise they're exactly the same, but they have cosmetic differences, mainly the lid/cover (type of wood on the front) and bezel (yellow/orange/black for Atari and silver for Sears Tele-Games).

Anyway, the question came up, which one do I prefer? I honestly couldn't answer him since I own both versions. I do have to say that my Atari heavy sixer is the one I grew up with, my grand parents bought it new in 1977, so if push came to shove, I would keep the Atari one over the Sears.

Ok AtariAge community, here is my question for you... which version do you prefer (and actually own) and why?

Sears Heavy sixer any day, any time. Is it the same as the Atari? Well, no it isn't because I grew up with the Sears sixer... so there!

I was having a discussion with one of my gaming buddies tonight about Atari heavy sixers and he asked me what the difference was between a Atari branded one and a Sears branded one. I pretty much told him hardware wise they're exactly the same, but they have cosmetic differences, mainly the lid/cover (type of wood on the front) and bezel (yellow/orange/black for Atari and silver for Sears Tele-Games).

Anyway, the question came up, which one do I prefer? I honestly couldn't answer him since I own both versions. I do have to say that my Atari heavy sixer is the one I grew up with, my grand parents bought it new in 1977, so if push came to shove, I would keep the Atari one over the Sears.

Ok AtariAge community, here is my question for you... which version do you prefer (and actually own) and why?

I have both and noticed the sears has a beefier case. If you have both lay them side by side and look at the black plastic on the left and right top of your consoles. On mine the sears has more plastic, you have to look close. Both are sunnyvilles so I'd have to say the sears. Curious if anyone else noticed this?

Edited by chriswhit

I have both and noticed the sears has a beefier case. If you have both lay them side by side and look at the black plastic on the left and right top of your consoles. On mine the sears has more plastic, you have to look close. Both are sunnyvilles so I'd have to say the sears. Curious if anyone else noticed this?

Very interesting. I just did a side by side comparison like you suggested and both my Atari and Sears heavy sixers have the exact same thickness of the curved plastic bottom. All heavy sixers are Sunnyvale, CA models, but I have seen a few that are marked Sunnyvale, CA and Taiwan on the same label.

Can you confirm that your your Atari six switch is a heavy sixer and not a light? Any chance of posting a picture of both your units side by side?

Very interesting. I just did a side by side comparison like you suggested and both my Atari and Sears heavy sixers have the exact same thickness of the curved plastic bottom. All heavy sixers are Sunnyvale, CA models, but I have seen a few that are marked Sunnyvale, CA and Taiwan on the same label.

Can you confirm that your your Atari six switch is a heavy sixer and not a light? Any chance of posting a picture of both your units side by side?

The serial number and label on the bottom is a fairly good indicator. Unless I am mistaken, all of the heavy sixers have a bottom with more plastic around the edges, and the edges are more curved. They can't be that rare because I see them in classic shops all of the time around here. Lack of a channel select switch means it is definitely an "original" heavy sixer.

Once you get into 1978-1979, things get fuzzy. You start seeing a mix of parts. My original atari was a "light" by plastic, but it had a heavy RF shield. I friend of mine had one with the light shield. My telegames is like that but also has the original top and a light sixer bottom. It probably just depended on what parts were around. I have yet to encounter a unit that clearly has the light shield and a heavy sixer plastic bottom, but I can't rule out that those exist out there.

I prefer the non-Sears version of just about everything Atari, including the heavy 6er model. I think this comes from an ingrained hatred of Sears--my dad always said that they aren't good for anything other than "decent cheap tires and those Craftsman tools." Somewhere along the line I picked up this line of reasoning, probably because the only thing my mom ever bought me at Sears were cheap horizontally striped shirts in gaudy 80s colors. And Converse sneakers, back when they were decidedly NOT cool. Damn you, Sears.

I'm actually pretty surprised at the amount of comments from people who prefer the look of the Sears Heavy Sixer over the Atari branded one. I do agree the Sears one is nice, which is why I own one too, but for sentimental reasons I'll always keep my original Atari Heavy Sixer because of it being in the family since 1977... but the bottom line is no matter which one you like, they both play games great :)

I'm actually pretty surprised at the amount of comments from people who prefer the look of the Sears Heavy Sixer over the Atari branded one. I do agree the Sears one is nice, which is why I own one too, but for sentimental reasons I'll always keep my original Atari Heavy Sixer because of it being in the family since 1977... but the bottom line is no matter which one you like, they both play games great :)

For me personally, I have no sentiment for either one. My first Atari was the 2600 Jr, that I've had for 22 years.

I have to go with the Sears Heavy Sixer. It was my childhood Christmas present. In the early eighties, my parents took it in for repair, and it was replaced with a light sixer:(

I still have the original box it came in, and got a near mint one a few years back. I remember wanting an Atari version back in the day because I thought they looked more cool. So, I got an Atari Heavy Sixer too.

I use my 4 switch woody for everyday playing. I think 3 versions of the 2600 is enough for anyone.

No one knows ?

... maybe I could post the answer in the 80's consoles italian forum where I use to be ... ;)

Thanks

Yes, there are PAL heavy sixers. There are a view listed in the serial number thread - http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/76656-the-official-heavy-sixer-serial-%23-list/

Edited by Zoyx

Personally I like the look of the Sears. But then they don't seem to be mainstream popular, us Atari nuts are rather fond of them. I just like the way the wood grain is more tortoise shell, and the silver and text is space-agey.

AX

Well after a few days of compiling comments on this thread, it seems that the Sears heavy sixer is a lot more popular verses the original Atari version.

I'm still pretty shocked about this, but I'm still fond of my original Atari heavy sixer that I grew up playing at my grand parents as a kid which I inherited from them 7-8 years ago now.

Now that I think about it my grand parents have always been Sears "shoppers" with so many things like TV's, washer and dryers, etc., so I wonder why they went with the Atari 2600 verses the Sears model?! Now I've got something to ask my grandma when I talk to her again :)

Edited by seanhq

The Sears unit is my preference. You know, I was just in Sears tonight buying "them Craftsman tools". Well, actually I was buying GearWrenches, so those aren't technically Craftsman. I gotta go buy more, though. Ha! I ought to take my Heavy Sixer to them the next time just to see the looks on their faces! :lolblue:

The Sears unit is my preference. You know, I was just in Sears tonight buying "them Craftsman tools". Well, actually I was buying GearWrenches, so those aren't technically Craftsman. I gotta go buy more, though. Ha! I ought to take my Heavy Sixer to them the next time just to see the looks on their faces! :lolblue:

If you do take your Sears heavy sixer into the store, be sure to head over to the service department. Maybe they'll warranty it? Hehe. Craftsman tools have a lifetime warranty, maybe Sears will do that on the Tele-Games.

Originally Sears Tele-Game systems were sold in the Sporting Goods department then later moved to the Electronics department. Hmmm... maybe I'll take my unit into Sears. Would make a funny video asking for service on the machine :)

Edited by seanhq
  • Like 1

I am kind of amazed about the love of the Sears versions. I buy and sell on a daily basis on Ebay and it is not unusual to see the Sears consoles go for $10-$25 and in working condition! In fact, I have bought quite a few, but you would think if they (Sears)were so loved, they would be bringing a bigger price like the true Atari. Although I did see an idiot pay around $300 about two weeks ago for one, which is ridiculous being it was not even tested or had a lot of games or accessories with it.

I guess it depends on just how much person wants something. LOL