IGNORED

PAL Boing!, or bad cart?

MegaManFan

I made the mistake of purchasing a Boing! cart unseen for $85 from another collector via PayPal. Given that Atari seems to mostly be a community based on trust, I hadn't given making a large purchase for a fairly rare and highly sought-out cart like this much thought.. that is until after it arrived. Despite the fact I can find no listing of a PAL version of Boing! in the AtariAge collector's DB, my copy exhibits all of the typical vertical hold scroll of any other PAL version game I own like Solaris or Mario Bros. Of course, I don't own any TV's old enough to have a vertical hold, so (as I said first on RGVC) this cart is now as useful to me as a doorstop is to a pitched tent. The seller doesn't seem inclined to give me a refund, so I'm probably going to have to re-sell it on eBay and try to get my money back - at least I'll be honest about it's condition. So really, this post is part venting and part questioning - do I really have a PAL version of Boing! or is there some kind of bad cart problem that could make it roll in a complete mimickry of PAL? One more thing - I tested this cart on a 2600 and a 7800, and it did the PAL roll on both. :P

Boing! was realeased in both NTSC and in PAL format.  If yours exhibits all the characteristics of a PAL cartridge, rest assured that is what you've got.

Ben

Your confirmation as a highly regarded member of this community should be all I need to go back to this seller and say, "There is a PAL version. It's confirmed. I want my money back." I'm sure I still won't get it. :P

is the PAL version less rare than the NTSC version? if not then surely it is still a worthy item to have in your collection?

When you say you don't have an old enough tv to have VHold, doesn't that mean your TV should automatically adjust? (mine does), or are US TV's less happy to bend to different frequencies than European ones?

Do you have a PAL compatible VCR? if so perhaps running it through that would give you an NTSC output?

(side note/gloat :) my VCR will play PAL/NTSC/SECAM VHS tapes :) only cost me 180 quid too! :) )

I have too a PAL version from Boing! I think. The case and lable looks diffrent like the both NTSC versions. The lable looks only like a photocopy.

But I have hear, that this is a PAL version.

I have a PAL version also which I bought directly from First Star (don't know why they sent me a PAL one and I never wrote to them to ask them for an NTSC one). Anyway, my label does NOT look like a photocopy.

I have a PAL version also which I bought directly from First Star (don't know why they sent me a PAL one and I never wrote to them to ask them for an NTSC one). Anyway, my label does NOT look like a photocopy.

Exactly Leonard. Mine looks just like the NTSC version, except it's not. This whole thing has been extremely frustrating for me, and I hope it doesn't burn me out on Atari collecting, but it is definitely having a negative effect on my desire to collect rarities regardless. :(

PAL Boings are definitely not as hard to find as their NTSC counterparts. Nevertheless, a PAL Boing has just sold for £50 ($80) on Ebay UK, though thats at the highest end. Two that were auctioned a few months back went for £30 each ($50), which is a fair price imo.

A lot of carts have also been found without any label whatsoever, and no goo to indicate that their ever was a label.

Jobf.