IGNORED

Flashcart w/ my 1200XL?

Cebus Capucinis

Okay, now that I'm cruising along fine with my 1200XL, I wanted to ask about the flashcart capabilities. I know on the front page of AA there is an 8-bit flashcart from AtariMax and I am very interested in getting it. However, I have absolutely no idea how a flashcart works! I've never used one before. Is it perfectly compatible with my 1200XL? Just a simple USB connection and drag-and-drop files into it, then plug in the cart and use the built-in menu to load the software?

Does anyone have one of these? What all would I need to get up and running with an AtariMax 8MB flashcart?

Okay, now that I'm cruising along fine with my 1200XL, I wanted to ask about the flashcart capabilities. I know on the front page of AA there is an 8-bit flashcart from AtariMax and I am very interested in getting it. However, I have absolutely no idea how a flashcart works! I've never used one before. Is it perfectly compatible with my 1200XL? Just a simple USB connection and drag-and-drop files into it, then plug in the cart and use the built-in menu to load the software?

Does anyone have one of these? What all would I need to get up and running with an AtariMax 8MB flashcart?

There is a windows application called Maxflash Studio you use to design your multi-cart. You can drag-drop files or add then via the menus, arrange the files, tweak the cart entries, etc, all without messing with actually programming the carts.

Once you have the cart set up the way you want, you just plug the cart into the programmer, then the programmer into the USB port on your computer and press the Synchronize button to update the cart.

The 1200XL does have a few OS issues but for the most part it will be compatible with XL/XE programs. If not you can always enable the '800 OS' option for a game.

You can read more about the software in the documentation section here:

http://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/

Steve