IGNORED

270 Atari 2600 games for $349 and no one is buying?

homerwannabee

What is wrong with people? 270 games, quite a few rarity 5 games, some rarity 6 games, and a sealed Xenophobe, and the seller can't even sell this for $349. :? I know it has only been about 15 hours but you would of thought at least a reseller would be all over this. When I see stuff like this it makes me wonder how strong our hobby is at the moment. :sad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Huge-Atari-2600-collection-Rare-games-Over-270-games_W0QQitemZ280416898789QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVideo_Games_Games?hash=item414a264ee5

Edited by homerwannabee

What is wrong with people? 270 games, quite a few rarity 5 games, some rarity 6 games, and a sealed Xenophobe, and the seller can't even sell this for $349. :? I know it has only been about 15 hours but you would of thought at least a reseller would be all over this. When I see stuff like this it makes me wonder how strong our hobby is at the moment. :sad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Huge-Atari-2600-collection-Rare-games-Over-270-games_W0QQitemZ280416898789QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVideo_Games_Games?hash=item414a264ee5

Well, our economy's still in the crapper, then if you are a reseller, you have to jump through all the hoops to sell those games again. Plus, there's the issue of shipping.

Honestly, if you are buying classic video games just to "flip them" like real estate, the hobby loses all fun. If I had $350 burning a hole in my pocket, I would be buying a modern console.

So it's like $400 with shipping. If you want to resell commons, you need to be getting them closer to 50 cents.

You do know the shipping is free? :ponder:

OK, you have a point if the guy was selling nothing but Asteroids, Combats, Space Invaders, and breakouts. But he is selling some pretty rare games as well. Did you even look at this auction?

Here are some of the rarer games

Adventures of Tron

Alien

Armor Ambush

Artillery Duel

Artillery Duel/Spike’s Peak

Bank Heist

BASIC Programming (text label)

Bermuda Triangle

Big Bird’s Egg Catch

Blue Print

BMX Air Master

Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom

Bugs

California Games

Circus (Zellers special edition)

CocoNuts

Commando Raid

Congo Bongo

Cosmic Creeps

Crackpots

Eggomania (angled cart)

Eggomania (box cart)

Entombed

Fathom

Final Approach

Flag Capture (text label)

Flash Gordon

Frogger II

Ghost Manor/Spike’s Peak

Ghostbusters

Gopher

Infiltrate

International Soccer/M-Network

Karate/Froggo Games

Kool-Aid Man

Kung Fu Master

Lost Luggage

M.A.D.

Marine Wars

Mario Bros (color label)

Mario Bros (brown label)

Math (text label)

Millipede (in box)

Miner 2049’er

Mogul Maniac

Montezuma’s Revenge

Moonsweeper/Imagic

Mountain King

Nexar

Ocean City Defenders (Zellers special edition)

Oink!

Planet Patrol

Private Eye

Racquetball

Raft Rider

Roc ‘n Rope

Smurf: Rescue

Sneek’n Peek

Snoopy & The Red Baron

Solar Storm

Spitfire Attack

Squeeze Box

Sssnake

Star Trek

Star Wars: The arcade game

Stargate

Stellar Track (text label)

Sub Scan

Survival Run

Tac-Scan

Taz

Tomcat

Towering Inferno

Tron Deadly Discs

Tunnel Runner

Turmoil

Wizard or Wor

Word Zapper

Xenophobe (sealed in box)

Sure it's a bunch of commons. :roll:

Here is why this troubles me so much. Let's do the math for a second. Flash back to about 2001. Gold was $270 an ounce, and this would be worth about double with the guy asking about $700 for everything. Now a package like this has droped in value by half to $350, and gold has gotten up to $1,000 an ounce. Why am I correlating gold to these games. Simple because there is gold in these games. 7 to 8 years ago this was a non issue. Gold was not expensive enough and Atari carts were too expensive to smelt into gold. Now were getting to a point were this is looking more feasible. I don't think we are there yet, but if we continue on this path it will happen. Atari carts will be ravaged for gold smelters.

Here is when I think it will happen.

If common Atari 2600 carts drop another 50 percent in value, and gold doubles to $2,000 an ounce than it becomes to a point where the majority of large auctions like this will be bought by gold smelters. They probably won't care about the Montezuma's revenge, Frogger II, and Xenophobe and straight melt all these carts into gold.

Don't think it will happen? Have you checked the thread about the smelter wanting to buy all the O'Sheas games so he can melt them into gold? A lot of history will be destroyed if things continue down the path they are currently.

Edited by homerwannabee

So it's like $400 with shipping. If you want to resell commons, you need to be getting them closer to 50 cents.

Agreed! $400 is a bit steep.

Shipping is free. Again SHIPPING IS FREE. It is a straight up $349. What is this $400 business? :ponder:

Dude, why don't you just buy it? It's only $350...

Because mainly, I am broke at the moment. I can't even buy it if it was $50. Now in 9 days things will change when I get paid. Also, I have almost all the games. The sealed Xenophobe is pretty cool though, and I don't have that.

Edited by homerwannabee

Shipping is free. Again SHIPPING IS FREE. It is a straight up $349. What is this $400 business? :ponder:

Because mainly, I am broke at the moment. I can't even buy it if it was $50. Now in 9 days things will change when I get paid. Also, I have almost all the games. The sealed Xenophobe is pretty cool though, and I don't have that.

I highlighted the 2 very reasons most people here probably aren't biting. I don't think anyone is saying its a bad lot.

Q: Hello i hope you ship APO im in the US. Thats no problem or is it?? Because im for the next weeks in Germany and APO for the US is much Cheaper! Thanks Steven

A: I will ship there yes, but I have to check the charges before I accept the offer. Please send me the zip code.

Reported, auction claims shipping is free.

@Homer: http://www.ego4u.com/

I wouldn't buy it as a new collector, because the pictures are crap.

Q: Hello i hope you ship APO im in the US. Thats no problem or is it?? Because im for the next weeks in Germany and APO for the US is much Cheaper! Thanks Steven

A: I will ship there yes, but I have to check the charges before I accept the offer. Please send me the zip code.

Reported, auction claims shipping is free.

@Homer: http://www.ego4u.com/

I wouldn't buy it as a new collector, because the pictures are crap.

No you are misunderstanding what he is saying. He is saying. The reason he is saying he has to check the charges before he accepts the offer is because if APO is too expensive to ship than it is not worth it for him to sell it to him. It sounds to me that he would be still swallowing the cost, just he had to check to see what the shipping costs would be if he did that.

Edit: I just noticed the link. Can you please back off nit picking my grammar? I have been a member here for over 6 years, and have contributed greatly in different areas. Please give me just a little bit more tolerance as a fellow fan of the Atari 2600. I don't ask for your respect, but I would appreciate it if you were more tolerant of me.

Edited by homerwannabee

You could always contact the seller and tell them you want to buy it now, but won't be able to pay for 9 days :)

I do agree that this is a pretty amazing lot and deal, however I don't have an extra $350.00 $349.00 to shell out at the moment and I do already own a lot of these games. I'm sure if someone has the money, this lot will sell. I'm now watching the auction to see what the final outcome ends up being.

Edited by seanhq