IGNORED

2600 and the Internet

goatdan

Could someone do me a favor...

I remember reading somewhere about a program started in Flordia I think where gamers could "rent" games by downloading them via a phone cable into their Atari 2600. I'm working on a paper detailing the evolution of games and the internet, and I'd like to get some more information on this.

Anyone?

I have one of those, they are huge and weigh a ton ! I wouldn't be surprised if a Jr. would tip over with one of those inserted. Hehe, I'll have to try that.

Oh, hey Paul, is that your box or did you "borrow" the scan ? I wouldn't mind the box for that unit.

I remember it was called the Gameline. I wanted it then, but I couldn't have been calling long distance over the phone for game downloads! Back then LD was more expensive than the cost of playing the games! I would have needed a Capn' Crunch whistle to reverse the charges! :)

dyancey wrote:

I wanted it then, but I couldn't have been calling long distance over the phone for game downloads! Back then LD was more expensive than the cost of playing the games! I would have needed a Capn' Crunch whistle to reverse the charges!

From the Gameline:

"calls are always local or via a toll-free 800 number"

There's actually one on Ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=1391639473

-Paul

I got to ask something. The auction description has "AND IT's GUARANTEED TO WORK!!" and that would lead me to believe I could still hook it up and download games to play.

Think the seller should have rephrased that before the bidder tries using it and ends up with AOL spash screen? :lol:

I would have needed a Capn' Crunch whistle to reverse the charges! :)

I bet maybe 10 people here get that.

I did, so who are the other nine? I actually think that estimate is too low if you consider the high percentage of people here who are probably computer nerds as well as gaming geeks (and I use those terms in the most affectionate way, since I'm BOTH). :D

Gameline offered some original titles, as well as loads of commercial titles available for download.

Now, if I remember correctly (and I may be wrong here) Gameline went under and eventually came back as GCP (Games Computers Play) which was a similar idea, but took the form of an online service you dialed up to (like GEnie or Compuserve) and, with the use of a special terminal program, allowed you to play games online, graphics and all. I think it was available for C64 and Atari 8-bits, and I recall seeing ads in Compute! and Antic/Analog back then.

That, of course, disappeared, and the owner then went and started America Online years later. What a waste of creative vision. :-)

I would have needed a Capn' Crunch whistle to reverse the charges! :)

I bet maybe 10 people here get that.

I did, so who are the other nine? I actually think that estimate is too low if you consider the high percentage of people here who are probably computer nerds as well as gaming geeks (and I use those terms in the most affectionate way, since I'm BOTH). :D

I was being generous, what with this being the 2600 forum and all. DUH DUH DUUUHHHHH! HAXX0R PHR34KZZZ UN1T3!!!

Gameline offered some original titles, as well as loads of commercial titles available for download.

Now, if I remember correctly (and I may be wrong here) Gameline went under and eventually came back as GCP (Games Computers Play) which was a similar idea, but took the form of an online service you dialed up to (like GEnie or Compuserve) and, with the use of a special terminal program, allowed you to play games online, graphics and all.  I think it was available for C64 and Atari 8-bits, and I recall seeing ads in Compute! and Antic/Analog back then.

That, of course, disappeared, and the owner then went and started America Online years later.  What a waste of creative vision.  :-)

Didn't that service at one time ran Q-Link service for C64?

Didn't that service at one time ran Q-Link service for C64?

I've no idea. The Compute/Antic/Analog ads were about the only way I'd ever even heard of the service. I remember being impressed by the idea and wanting to try it out, at the same time knowing I'd never be allowed to. :-) The few screenshots they gave in the mag ads appeared to be the old line-draw-and-fill routine -- y'know, like those old networked computerized information kiosks like Teleguide that they'd have in malls and libraries back in the 80s. No sprites or anything like that, all line-drawn and flood-filled and maybe some redefined character sets. I guess it made economical sense at the time, considering most connections were 300 baud and you had to pack as much punch in as thin a data stream as possible. :-)

Thanks everyone for the information! The paragraph from the paper reads:

The first attempt to utilize an Internet-like feature on a console system was a small company called Control Video Corporation in 1983 with their GameLine adapter for the Atari 2600. According to the packaging of the GameLine, the “Master Module” would “bring an endless stream of video games into your home – through your telephone!” In the future, the packaging promised, “the Master Module turns your video game console into a communications terminal (Scans: GameLine).” Unfortunately, the GameLine was released in June of 1983, right about the same time that the video game crash occurred (Third Party Profile: Control Video Corporation). The GameLine never caught on, and many of the ideas that had been presented through its service were never delivered. All of the knowledge gained by the GameLine experiment was not lost. The president of Control Video Corporation was William F. Von Meister, who went on to found America Online (Third Party Profile: Control Video Corporation).

I believe that Q-Link was what became AOL.  I've heard that several times, but I wonder if someone can confirm it?

I actually had Q-Link service for a month on my C64.  It had a lot of similarities to Gameline and AOL.

There was also Playcable for the Intellivision that used the cable TV network. In fact, two people figured out how to download stuff to it from their computer and wrote a game. They were hired by Mattel, mostly to stop them telling anyone else how to do it :D