IGNORED

ColecoVision console labels?

128Kgames

Does anybody sell original or reproduction ColecoVision console labels? I'm talking about the front silver/black label with the multi-color "ColecoVision" on it, as well as the "On/Off, Insert Cartridge Here" top label.

I've got some consoles that are overall in good shape, but with labels that are scratched, peeling and/or warped. I was hoping somebody would have some originals, like maybe eColeco, but I don't see these listed on their site.

Reproductions would work also, provided they are the same type material, color match etc.

Does anybody sell original or reproduction ColecoVision console labels? I'm talking about the front silver/black label with the multi-color "ColecoVision" on it, as well as the "On/Off, Insert Cartridge Here" top label.

I've got some consoles that are overall in good shape, but with labels that are scratched, peeling and/or warped. I was hoping somebody would have some originals, like maybe eColeco, but I don't see these listed on their site.

Reproductions would work also, provided they are the same type material, color match etc.

I remember trying to recreate this as well. The problem is the brushed metal finish. That is a little more difficult to repro. I will have to dig through some of my back up CDs to see if I can find it. I don't think it fits on a standard 8-1/2" x 11" sheet. :?

BTW, I like your quote at the bottom of your post. Great movie! I met Bruce Campbell, he's good guy.

Edited by pboland

I remember trying to recreate this as well. The problem is the brushed metal finish. That is a little more difficult to repro. I will have to dig through some of my back up CDs to see if I can find it. I don't think it fits on a standard 8-1/2" x 11" sheet. :?

BTW, I like your quote at the bottom of your post. Great movie! I met Bruce Campbell, he's good guy.

Thanks man, Bruce is definitely "The King" in that flick! It would have been cool if he had signed on for the sequel, especially since it was just a gag to begin with.

I've never actually had anything professionally printed before (I've been dragging my feet on getting a Neo Geo Gold MVS control panel reproduced for years) so I'm wondering if any of the arcade overlay places might be a place to start.

I know Pixelboy is looking into getting some ColecoVision overlays made up, so I might run this past him to see if he has any ideas.

Thanks man, Bruce is definitely "The King" in that flick! It would have been cool if he had signed on for the sequel, especially since it was just a gag to begin with.

I've never actually had anything professionally printed before (I've been dragging my feet on getting a Neo Geo Gold MVS control panel reproduced for years) so I'm wondering if any of the arcade overlay places might be a place to start.

I know Pixelboy is looking into getting some ColecoVision overlays made up, so I might run this past him to see if he has any ideas.

I know doubledown has access to equipment that can print brush metal stickers...

Its more chrome than a grained metal as the OEM overlays were, still flashy never-the-less. It is in fact true that the front overlay/sticker from the CV console will not fit on 8-1/2" x 11", and finding specialty media such as chrome in anything other than standard letter size is tough. The place I got mine from can provide larger sizes, but a minimum of 100 sheets are required last time I checked.

Its more chrome than a grained metal as the OEM overlays were, still flashy never-the-less. It is in fact true that the front overlay/sticker from the CV console will not fit on 8-1/2" x 11", and finding specialty media such as chrome in anything other than standard letter size is tough. The place I got mine from can provide larger sizes, but a minimum of 100 sheets are required last time I checked.

This would be like the labels for your ColecoVision, correct? Do you have any more pics of what it looks like? I tried your website but it seems to be down?

My website is in what I like to call a transitionary period as GeoCities has shut down, and I haven't done much about finding a new host and re-designing it. Regardless of that, here are a few pics of my "chrome" ones from my first "Mini" ColecoVision:

35cvjrfinal02topmulticant8.jpg

35cvjrfinal01frontmultixr8.jpg

Very nice, are they comparable in thickness to the original ColecoVision labels? I know the original front label has a little bit of thickness to it, having removed it for cleaning and re-gluing. Also, I can't tell from the pictures exactly but are they identical in "color" to the originals too? Specifically the "silver" or "chrome" as you put it as well as the "ColecoVison" colors. I tried blowing the pics up for more detail but they got too pixelated.

• Like 1

Mine are definately thinner than the originals, as the originals were like a grained aluminum film, over adhesive-backed thick whtie vinyl, with a moderately thick clear layer over top. As noted before the originals appear more as a grained aluminum, where my is a metal chrome film. The ColecoVision logo on mine is as close to the original as possible as it was scanned from an original and printed onto the new chrome foil.

Mine are definately thinner than the originals, as the originals were like a grained aluminum film, over adhesive-backed thick whtie vinyl, with a moderately thick clear layer over top. As noted before the originals appear more as a grained aluminum, where my is a metal chrome film. The ColecoVision logo on mine is as close to the original as possible as it was scanned from an original and printed onto the new chrome foil.

Could the place you used reproduce something closer to the original?

Well I printed mine myself, but it might be possible to get a closer to original repo if you really wanted it. To make a proper repo, it would have to be three layers:

Thick white vinyl backer

Grained aluminum foil that can be printed on

Clear vinyl overlay

Printing on the aluminum would be the hardest part. Another option would be to print the graphics mirror image on the rear of the clear overlay and then apply it. But again due to the size being larger than standard printer capabilities of 8/12" x 11" it gets a little tricky. By the way this is not a project that I'm interested in persuing, just trying to provide a little info.

How come Coleco were able to print those labels 30 + years ago when printing was a lot more primitive than todays?Why is it so hard?Coleco had expensive industrial printing equipment i take it?Wouldn't a pro printing company be able to reproduce those metal finish labels for someone?I would really like to get new ones,it would really make my CV'S look sharp!I obviously know zip about printing,any help appreciated,thanx!Edit...I just figured one reason they couldn't be done is the price a company would charge,which is an arm and a leg more than likely.I doubt they'd do that small a batch for one person,unless you know someone that works at a printers or something.

Edited by Rik

Look online. There's places that do this sort of work... of course the lower the quantity, the higher the price.

5-11under

I don't get it, the lower the quality and higher the price? Why?

I am interested in this process because I will need something like that for the super expansion module...

• 4 years later...

I created the expansion module front label from scratch with Gimp. Here is my first attempt. I used the Carisma Regular font that seemed to be the best match for the original and printed in Chromaroll aluminum paper. I think the text is very hard to read right now and I may try a different approach, but if anyone wants the Gimp file, just let me know.

post-38150-0-13182300-1391565258_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Very cool! I sure wish I could scan mine, the label is flawless but I'd have to get one of those Wand Scanners, made by Panadigital.. Whatever the companys called, I forget. I think retroillucid had a post somewhere about it.

I need a source on that aluminum paper and I'll make an attempt at it.. Been wanting to for a while. :-D

I created the expansion module front label from scratch with Gimp. Here is my first attempt. I used the Carisma Regular font that seemed to be the best match for the original and printed in Chromaroll aluminum paper. I think the text is very hard to read right now and I may try a different approach, but if anyone wants the Gimp file, just let me know.

reproexpansion1.jpg