IGNORED

$199 Wii vs $249 PS3 - Which to get?

tremoloman2006

But most game that appeal to me are not released on the wii.

This.

It's all subjective if you are evaluating between PS3/360 and Wii, because the types of great games on each system are so different. There is nothing like Super Mario Galaxy on the PS3. There isn't anything like Oblivion on the Wii. Repeat this for virtually all of the top games on each platform.

EDIT: Actually, if you want to play baseball/football/basketball games, AFAICT you are much better of with a PS3. On the other hand, Tiger Woods 10 and Pro Evolution Soccer 2009/2010 for the Wii sound pretty awesome; I'd rather play those on the Wii.

Edited by vdub_bobby

360 all the way!icon_razz.gif

Best online gaming & love the arcade games.

Plus the they added some other cool things from just NetFlix...twiiter & facebook which I wont use but the Last FM is pretty cool for free music on you xbox.

I would not give it up since COD:MW2 came out. My fav modern system since Jaguar.icon_mrgreen.gif

Screw the Wii and PS3, get a X-box 360 instead :P

Ok, Ok, stop throwing rocks and tomatoes :P

Seriously, there's a PS3 for $250 now? I've been very close to getting one, I can count the games I'm interested in on one hand....but it's a cheap blue ray player too. So, why not get a Blueray that just happens to also play games? I'm going to have to look for that.

The Wii, I have been thining about, there are a LOT more games on it I'd be interested in, but I can get a X-box 360 for less (though I already have one so...) But the controls. Give me a damn pad, I'd love some Mario action, but not if I gotta wave my arms like an idiot (assuming I don't loose interest in the control setup before I get tired of doing it)

Over all, I think the Wii gots a lot of great games, the PS3 is very similar to the 360, and has a grand total of 2 exclusive games I'd be interested in (one with horrid ratings, the other a GTA ripoff)

Like a lot of people said,you'll just get biased oppinions, just make a list of games for each system you think you would like, also, include known games for the next year or so, and pick the systemthat you are more interested in for games. If you already have a 360, there's not much you'll miss beyond bluray if you don't get a PS3, if you don't, the PS3 provides more traditional gameplay.

Pretty much in line with everyone else. If you are big into gameplay and enjoy playing games, particularly unique ones, the Wii is the way to go. If flashy graphics and modern traditional gameplay are more your forte, then either of the other systems will fill your need.

Wii for substance

PS3 for spectacle

I heartily disagree with you. What substance does the Wii have that the PS3 doesn't? As far as I'm concerned, the Wii is a very shallow system. I can name tons of PS3 games with substance. I'm still waiting on a fair number of 3rd party Wii games to have the same attributes.

I'm sorry, but I really don't understand why people stick up for this system. Besides it being what amounts to a 1st party game/class game playing system, I don't see the appeal. I had one since day one at launch. I was SO excited about it, and had it for over 2 years. I bought over 45 games for it and to be honest, there were only a small handful I gave a dang about, and I had all the supposedly "top" games for it. Where are the games that Nintendo is known for besides Metroid and Mario? I have no clue. I waited for F-Zero, it never came. I waited for Starfox, it never came. I waited for many of the exciting games they showed like Project HAMMER, and they were canceled and exciting imports that for some reason unknown to me, never came over.

The PS3 has actually kept my attention and has provided AAA game after AAA game the Wii simply doesn't have. I'd be amiss if I wasn't able to play Batman AA, LBP, Motorstorm, Katamari, Demon's Souls, ect ect ect.

I don't mean to cause a fight on this thread or anything, and hey.. if you reallllly like the Wii, then so be it. I guess I just didn't get the system, which is odd for me as every Nintendo system since the NES has been my favorite system of the generation, even the N64 (at the time) and Gamecube.

Could not disaree more. Wii has bunches of simple fun to play games. Yes there is some crapware, but there is tons on ps2 and xbox as well. I have about a 5 to 1 ratio of games Wii vs ps3.

Agreed, every popular system gets inundated with crapware (I'm seriously looking at you PS2), it's part of the equation, but once developers got over the idea that they HAD to implement the Wii controls into every game, more and more stuff started coming out right. That is not to say there aren't quick and dirty Wii ports of games that are better on other systems (I am looking at you Tomb Raider), but there is more top shelf stuff for the Wii, in my opinion, than there is for any other system and I stand by my assessment that Nintendo puts gameplay before spectacle in a way no other developer does. I also think the Wii has a better variety of games.

I am not saying that the other systems suck, but I am saying why I would go for a Wii above any of the other contemporary consoles.

but there is more top shelf stuff for the Wii, in my opinion, than there is for any other system

I really couldn't agree with that statement in any way...

But, what type of games you like is really a crucial factor in this type of decision. Me - I play everything from my original Atari 2600 up through lots of consoles and computer systems in between, up to state of the art 'next gen' consoles to monster PC gaming. I like my old games old, and my new games new (with a bit of crossover here and there of course ;)).

I am fortunate enough to be able to purchase all the consoles I want - I have the current three (360/PS3/Wii), and the intervals that the Wii gets turned on (family gatherings and parties aside) is measured in months.

Edited by remowilliams

If you don't care about the games, pick a console based on features.

If you do care about the games then spend some time on metacritic and see which console has the most games that appeal to you. Search by top rating and by genre.

Otherwise you'll just be making a decision based on other people's biases, which may or may not hold true for you.

Exactly why I suggested a used 60GB PS3. It has the hardware backward compatibility for PS2 games. Even if you never purchase a PS3 title or a Blu Ray movie, you'll still get plenty of use out of it.

Gabriel brings up a good point, though about a used disc based system. Make sure either it comes with a good warranty or you know someone who can repair it should anything go wrong.

I've done my share of work on Sony products, and they can be difficult to get going sometimes...if they break in the first place.

... and I stand by my assessment that Nintendo puts gameplay before spectacle in a way no other developer does...

That's because they still haven't figured out how to do both at the same time. There's an assload that have. Years ago.

The PS2 is about as close as I have seen (if we are talking in the modern era)

The PS2 is about as close as I have seen (if we are talking in the modern era)

You need to get a PS3 or a 360. A little time spent with either will show you the light.

Sure a person can enjoy tooling around in a Pinto, but a Ferrari is just so much cooler to drive. A person just needs to drive one to know. :cool:

That's bull. You haven't spent enough time with the 360 or PS3. Going back further, Sega was able to make intriguing games that looked kick ass as well on the DC. Going to the 16 bit era, there were many Genesis games, Neo Geo games, and TG 16 games that could do both. Even if you don't like the style of games, Drake/ Unchartered 2 do both, Little Big Planet does both, Oblivion does both. Hell, I can't think of too many games in the past 10 years that looked great and sucked. Only 1 kinda comes close and that would be Assassins Creed. It's only drawback was repetitiveness. But I'll assume you have Super Smash Bros 6541.7.r2.v.978 and repetitiveness isn't an issue to take up.

I did take note you stated "seen" which hints that you are of the Nintendo thought that if it looks good, it just hast to suck. Let's put it this way. Nintendo is the A student that works hard enough to be a B or C student because average is good enough for the majority.

If you can get a PS3 for $249, do it. The Wii is all right, but I've been disappointed with the selection of third party software[...] Nintendo had a chance this generation to prove that great graphics aren't everything, but they only proved how little they care about quality control.

Exactly how did they prove that? Most/All of Nintendo's first-party titles are AAA material. How can we hold Nintendo accountable for the quality of software made by other companies?

Because they license all the games released by third parties. If Nintendo doesn't want a game on their system, they can just refuse it, BUT THEY HAVEN'T BEEN REFUSING ANYTHING LATELY! You want to know how awful third party software is on the Wii? Zoo Digital is releasing a Cold Stone Creamery video game for the system. Yes, a game where you pretend to make ice cream, except you're paying Cold Stone to do it. There's something very, very wrong with the software on the Wii, and Nintendo has done nothing to stop the bleeding. The level of cynicism in most Wii releases could be measured in tons... there were several games released for the system that were identical in all respects but the graphics, and they were all completely terrible. Yet Nintendo doesn't object as long as they get a cut of the profits. I haven't seen a video game library this terrible since the Game Boy Color, also a victim of Nintendo's greed and shortsightedness.

So, you'd rather improve the quality of the Wii's 3rd-party releases by shrinking the library of games and having Nintendo tell you what you can and cannot buy. Is that accurate?

I am fortunate enough to be able to purchase all the consoles I want - I have the current three (360/PS3/Wii), and the intervals that the Wii gets turned on (family gatherings and parties aside) is measured in months.

It's hard to take this seriously. Months? In the last 6 months the Wii has seen releases of Metroid Prime Trilogy, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Little King's Story, Dead Space Extraction, Wii Sports Resort, A Boy and His Blob, Wii Fit Plus, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Contra ReBirth, Rabbids Go Home, Excitebike World Rally, Need for Speed: Nitro, Dawn of Discovery, Swords and Soldiers, Tales of Monkey Island chapters 1-5, NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits, Bit.Trip Core, and You, Me & the Cubes.

If you can't find, among those games, a single reason to turn on your Wii then I'm sorry, but you fail as a gamer. :P

Edited by vdub_bobby

It's hard to take this seriously. Months? In the last 6 months the Wii has seen releases of Metroid Prime Trilogy, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Little King's Story, Dead Space Extraction, Wii Sports Resort, A Boy and His Blob, Wii Fit Plus, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Contra ReBirth, Rabbids Go Home, Excitebike World Rally, Need for Speed: Nitro, Dawn of Discovery, Swords and Soldiers, Tales of Monkey Island chapters 1-5, NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits, Bit.Trip Core, and You, Me & the Cubes.

If you can't find, among those games, a single reason to turn on your Wii then I'm sorry, but you fail as a gamer. :P

Fail as a gamer??? My wii just recently gets a bit more playtime because i just bought super paper mario, but other then that, my wii only get powerup with family gatherings and if i want a short quick game and don't want to walk upstairs.

If you can't find, among those games, a single reason to turn on your Wii then I'm sorry, but you fail as a gamer.

Does it occur to you that not everybody likes those nintendo franchise games like mario VVVIIX and Meteriod ZXXI. And for race game i rather turn on my ps3 or 360. I really can't like the graphics of nfs nitro. Think the gamecube had better looking race games. So fail as gamer, don't think so, it's just not my kind of games.

Does it occur to you that not everybody likes those nintendo franchise games like mario VVVIIX and Meteriod ZXXI. And for race game i rather turn on my ps3 or 360. I really can't like the graphics of nfs nitro. Think the gamecube had better looking race games. So fail as gamer, don't think so, it's just not my kind of games.

:lol:

I was partially joking, and it wasn't addressed to you anyway, but if the shoe fits...:ponder:

But seriously. Ok, you hate Mario and Metroid. Good for you. :roll: But that still leaves 15 other games in about 10 different genres. If none of those games appeal to you...WTF?

My .02¢: had a Wii and got bored with it. Controls and the interactive feedback need to be perfected yet. Great commercial first try though and there are some *fun* games. Still geared toward children though as Nintendo is famous for.

Could care less about Sony products, consumer business practices, the look of their machine and their "superior" Blu-Ray technology.

Would normally not even care for Micro$oft products, BUT... AvP is coming out early next year. This and the fact the machine is uber versatile gets my vote for best modern system. Also an American company and despite their shotty/corrupt/anti-trust breaking practices, does warrant a mention in these ever sinking times :)

If you can get a PS3 for $249, do it. The Wii is all right, but I've been disappointed with the selection of third party software[...] Nintendo had a chance this generation to prove that great graphics aren't everything, but they only proved how little they care about quality control.

Exactly how did they prove that? Most/All of Nintendo's first-party titles are AAA material. How can we hold Nintendo accountable for the quality of software made by other companies?

Because they license all the games released by third parties. If Nintendo doesn't want a game on their system, they can just refuse it, BUT THEY HAVEN'T BEEN REFUSING ANYTHING LATELY! You want to know how awful third party software is on the Wii? Zoo Digital is releasing a Cold Stone Creamery video game for the system. Yes, a game where you pretend to make ice cream, except you're paying Cold Stone to do it. There's something very, very wrong with the software on the Wii, and Nintendo has done nothing to stop the bleeding. The level of cynicism in most Wii releases could be measured in tons... there were several games released for the system that were identical in all respects but the graphics, and they were all completely terrible. Yet Nintendo doesn't object as long as they get a cut of the profits. I haven't seen a video game library this terrible since the Game Boy Color, also a victim of Nintendo's greed and shortsightedness.

So, you'd rather improve the quality of the Wii's 3rd-party releases by shrinking the library of games and having Nintendo tell you what you can and cannot buy. Is that accurate?

Seems to work well enough for the other guys. Sure, there's the occasional game like Pimp My Ride for the Xbox 360, but that's the point... those games are released occasionally. With the Wii, there's a neverending supply of crap. I'm not asking for fewer games... just less crap.

Edited by Jess Ragan

Yes, months. Out of what's listed there (Wii Sports party gaming excepted), and TW10 which is great with WM+ but I bored of, only DSE was something that I was interested in enough to pay for - and it (to me as a Dead Space fan) was awesome. :cool: In the meantime my to play pile for the 360 and PS3 in 6 months grew huge.

So yes, I've been gaming for 30+ years, have an interest and massive personal collection of gaming hardware and games spanning 30+ years, but the Wii is mostly a dust collector. I fail at gaming. ;)

On the plus side I've recently bothered with the HBC, and have hooked a Wavebird to the dust collector - so it may get some use out of the decent emus and lots of classic games I've dumped to its SDHC card. :P

Yes, months. Out of what's listed there (Wii Sports party gaming excepted), and TW10 which is great with WM+ but I bored of, only DSE was something that I was interested in enough to pay for - and it (to me as a Dead Space fan) was awesome. :cool: In the meantime my to play pile for the 360 and PS3 in 6 months grew huge.

So yes, I've been gaming for 30+ years, have an interest and massive personal collection of gaming hardware and games spanning 30+ years, but the Wii is mostly a dust collector. I fail at gaming. ;)

On the plus side I've recently bothered with the HBC, and have hooked a Wavebird to the dust collector - so it may get some use out of the decent emus and lots of classic games I've dumped to its SDHC card. :P

Nice for once to see other people come up and say it. Thanks williams. As I said before, my view on the Wii is from someone who thought the GC was the best system last generation. So obviously, I'm willing to bend my back backwards for Nintendo, but they pushed it so far it split in half. It's a horrible little system and I'm sorry I gave it 2 years in a desperate attempt to capture my interest past Excite Truck and a handful of meh 1st party sequels.

Edited by DaytonaUSA

Metroid Prime Trilogy, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Little King's Story, Dead Space Extraction, Wii Sports Resort, A Boy and His Blob, Wii Fit Plus, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Contra ReBirth, Rabbids Go Home, Excitebike World Rally, Need for Speed: Nitro, Dawn of Discovery, Swords and Soldiers, Tales of Monkey Island chapters 1-5, NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits, Bit.Trip Core, and You, Me & the Cubes.

Out of what's listed there (Wii Sports party gaming excepted), and TW10 which is great with WM+ but I bored of, only DSE was something that I was interested in enough to pay for

I just can't reconcile that statement with this:

So yes, I've been gaming for 30+ years, have an interest and massive personal collection of gaming hardware and games spanning 30+ years

Do you still play 2600 games? Do you still play NES games? Are they still fun? I still do, and they still are. I still pop in Contra from time to time. I still play Pitfall!, The Legend of Zelda (NES), Ninja Gaiden (NES), and I don't understand how a person can enjoy those games but simultaneously not be interested in, say, Contra ReBirth for $10, to take one example.

But to each his own. ;)

I don't understand how a person can enjoy those games but simultaneously not be interested in, say, Contra ReBirth for $10, to take one example.

Ya Conta ReBirth is damn good. So is Dr. Mario RX. The Wii control version is a nice new spin and it's got the classic in there with spiffy gfx ta boot :) And lets not forget MegaMan 9.

Seems to work well enough for the other guys. Sure, there's the occasional game like Pimp My Ride for the Xbox 360, but that's the point... those games are released occasionally. With the Wii, there's a neverending supply of crap. I'm not asking for fewer games... just less crap.

If you have Nintendo reject games based on their opinion of their quality, then there will be fewer games. Some companies, knowing they can't compete with Nintendo and Capcom, will elect not to make games at all. Others will not want to put the resources into developing a game only to have Nintendo can the whole project. It's a pretty simple equation: if Nintendo does not allow bad games to be made, there will be fewer games overall.

I would much rather Nintendo let me decide what games I'd like to buy.

With the Wii, there's a neverending supply of crap. I'm not asking for fewer games... just less crap.

Just pulled this from metacritic.com

360:

768 total games

685 with a score >= 50 (89%)

PS3:

445 total games

415 with a score >= 50 (93%)

Wii:

531 total games

438 with a score >= 50 (82%)

So, it seems true that there is a greater proportion of crap on the Wii, though in absolute terms the 360 has the most and the PS3 and the Wii are essentially tied.

Looking at this, I'd guess that it isn't a matter of Nintendo having looser standards, but the dev cost. It probably costs a lot more to throw together a M&M branded game for the PS3 than for the Wii, and that's the bigger factor.

I'm failing to see the validity of the argument that the Wii is a bad system because there are more crap games. Who cares? Buy the good ones, avoid the crap. Also, what is considered crap by many, may not be full crap. Sure, I there are some legitimate losers out there, but what about budget-ware games like Gravity, which aren't blockbusters like Mario Galaxy, but are still solid, fun games? More often than not, I bet those games a lumped into the crap category unjustly.

And don't pitch "Super Smash Bros 6541.7.r2.v.978" and repetitiveness at me as something only the Wii has when you've got a stack of Grand Theft Auto games sitting over there, more Final Fantasys and than you can count, and god knows how many Call of Duty or other "insert war, real or imaginary, here" games. Please.

I have played games on both the PS3 and the XBOX360, a lot, and I was simply not impressed enough to chunk down the twice as many dollars those systems cost instead of sticking with my Wii and its diverse library of fun games. That is not to say there aren't some great games for those systems, there are, but not enough to make me pick those systems over the Wii.