IGNORED

Broken reset button on 7800

thursday83

It seems like it still presses down and pops back up like normal, but just doesn't work. Anybody have this happen before, and can anyone offer potential solutions - preferably simple and non-threatening to the system? It's fine for all 7800 games, as the fire button suffices, but for most 2600 games you need the reset button to start or restart the games. As you are all aware. I'm all ears to any advice and thanks much.

There could be a possibility that the button simply is not making a proper connection. I would first try popping open the top of the case to see if the plastic is seated properly, as sometimes the plastic doesn't hit the center of the 'bubble' on the board to make the connection.

The first thing I would do would be to open up the console and check to make sure the plastic reset button is actually making contact with the switch on the motherboard; the base of it could be broken or bent (unlikely, but possible). If it is, then the switch is probably worn out, and you'll have to break out a soldering iron and replace it. Fortunately, those switches are still being manufactured and sold:

Part #: 612-TL1100B

Mouser Electronics (the supplier I linked to) seems to be out of stock until mid-December, and I don't know if you can buy only one switch from them, but this at least gives you a lead.

my 7800 has a worn plastic shaft on the reset button so I removed the button itself and use a tooth pick to hit the button. still need to get a new button as the way its set up is a pain. The shaft will wear at an angle if you don't press it in the center every time.

Edited by chriswhit