IGNORED

Ever released in the UK?

LinkoVitch

Does anyone know if the 5200 was ever released in the UK?

Nope. Only available in US/Canada.

Will a 7800 PSU power one OK?

No. Use the supplied US adaptor and use a transformer. Make sure you get a two port machine (as opposed to a 4 port) as the 4 port uses a bizarre power/rf lead that makes it very tricky to get working here. With the two port, you'll need to hack off the RF cable as it won't fit in the back of your telly, open up the 5200 and attach a UK compatible RF lead. - It will jsut slide on. Note you'll also need a TV capable of accepting an NTSC signal via RF (an NTSC compatible VCRwill not do), unless you want to play in B+W with no sound. You could always do the video mod, but that (seemingly) doesn't always guarantee colour. Sound seems to work though.

I nearly got a 5200 but in the end I thought it just wasn't worth it for all the hassles. Note also the machine is MASSIVE. Shipping will be expensive.

HTH

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 4 port and I'm in Australia.

You CAN use a normal plug pack with the proper voltage settings (do the math and you'll figure it out pretty quick - or you can ask me and I'll go have a look!) as long as you have the right connector of course.

Its true though that you need a telly capable of displaying NTSC but the unit operates fine with a reasonable plug pack from any old electronics store.

Further, in my experience the ATARI power supply supplied with it doesnt like receiving voltage that's been stepped down - perhaps there's some clipping or the waveform was too rough or something.