IGNORED

favorite new accesory?

Mikau

whats your favorite new accesory for any new console?

mine would have to be my wavebird. wireless controllers that work kick ass. the battery life is outstanding, i must have 50 hours on animal crossing and it still hasnt died!

also, the gba/gc link cable is cool, but it doesnt do enough yet. but later, when more games use it (like the new FFs) it will be sweet!

The Dreamcast VMU is a stroke of genius... unfortunately, it was ahead of it's time, and was never really used to full potential. GBA->GC links are just a ripoff of the idea anyways :P

Oh, and Sony ripped off the modem idea from Sega too :P

--Zero

I'm going out on a limb here but I'm sick of everyone saying how Sega is so great. I love all game systems but if Sega was so almight why have they managaed to kill every console they have come out with? I'm all for a good game system but why does it seem like it is so anti Sony and MS here?

Anyway back on topic best accesory would have to be the headphone thingy for PS2 SOCOM, triued it in the store seemed cool.

if Sega was so almight why have they managaed to kill every console they have come out with?

I blame everything on the SegaCD and the 32X. Mostly the 32X. The Genesis was handled very well in my opinion, but the 32X confused lots of people when the move to the Saturn was made. Sega seemed to think that the 32X was going to "bridge the gap", but since it wasn't compatible with anything, people totally lost faith in it... after all, who did they really expect would bother with games that needed both the SegaCD and the 32X?? Somehow (And I'm not completely clear on this), this affected people's opinion of the Saturn, and negatively affected it's sales. Things just snowballed, and by the time Sega came out with the Dreamcast, the people already didn't have much faith in Sega.

At least, that's my theory. I think it's stupid really... the system was marvellous, and I still think it competes favourably with the PS2. The fact that people would ignore it just because Sony has things locked up better than Sega did is dumb, and it sucks that Sega had to fall because of image problems.

(I know, I didn't work the SegaCD into that... but I don't think it had as big an impact. It was managed somewhat badly, but at least wasn't as confusing)

--Zero

Sega also had the first handheld to system connection, beyond the VMU. Remember the neo geo pocket-dreamcast connector?

Are we going for actual working products or simply prototypes?

The Atari Jaguar could interface with the Atari Lynx. In fact, AvP was originally going to have the option of using the Lynx as your Alien tracker.

Prototype Lynx links have been found... somewhere...

Also, the Jaguar had the first system voice modems too, but those never got beyond prototype phase.

And a VR system.

And a network system. Oh yeah, that was released (CatBox).

Things just snowballed, and by the time Sega came out with the Dreamcast, the people already didn't have much faith in Sega.

From what I have heard, this is actually pretty far from the truth. Remember, the Dreamcast had the best launch (easily!) of any system to date when it came out in the States. Who can forget the 9/9/99 advertisements? Moving, what? 900,000 systems in one day was a very good thing.

The problem was Sega was never committed to the Dreamcast. After the Saturn flopped like a fish out of water, the Dreamcast was supposed to be trashed. But it wasn't. Supposedly, it was some VP's baby, and he basically forced the idea. Then he stepped down in January of 2001 and Sega immediately dropped the 'Cast.

Sega's timing was too off for it to be actually dropped due to stiff competition. People were actually returning PS2's to get Dreamcasts. January of 2001 _before_ the announcement was on track to be the highest or second highest sales month for the Dreamcast ever. Right at this time was when Sega pulled the plug.

None of it made or makes any sense. The only reason that Sega had at all for pulling the plug was the honest reason that the pirates had really dug into their game profits. I've been told that Half-Life is sitting somewhere 100% complete right now, but unreleased because they were too worried that it wouldn't turn a profit due to piracy.

The Dreamcast is a wonderful little machine whose time came waaaaaay too early. I honestly believe that it could've competed in the current marketplace.