IGNORED

Getting Imagic carts to work

Despina83

So I discovered today that Imagic carts don't even come close to fitting in my 7800. I try to jam it in but I don't want to break the cart in half or something. So how exactly do you modify the port sleeve? Do you just unscrew the screws on the bottom of the system and then cut the sleeve? Where do you cut the sleeve? The corners? And all the way down to the board? Can you do it without taking the system apart? I really know nothing about doing this but I'm annoyed that I can't get my new No Escape cart to fit.

So I discovered today that Imagic carts don't even come close to fitting in my 7800. I try to jam it in but I don't want to break the cart in half or something. So how exactly do you modify the port sleeve? Do you just unscrew the screws on the bottom of the system and then cut the sleeve? Where do you cut the sleeve? The corners? And all the way down to the board? Can you do it without taking the system apart? I really know nothing about doing this but I'm annoyed that I can't get my new No Escape cart to fit.

From what I've seen, many people use a razor or box cutter to simply cut away the bottom of the port and expand it wide enough to fit Imagic carts. The top of the cartridge port is wide enough, but the bottom is tapered to a thinner width that must be cut away.

I just got a 7800, and have looked at this: I'll try to describe it to you:

The 7800 is designed for the curved edges that Atari carts use: now, other companies, like Activision, use a very closely shaped cart, so it works fine. The issue comes in carts that are more square.

Fox carts fit, since they are seemingly smaller than a normal cart: Imagic ones, however, are just plain huge by comparison, base wise, so their square edges hit the curves. Make sense? If you look in the cart port, you can see these bottom curves.. imagine them gone, and you have the mod, in a nutshell.

Also, do not be afraid to open a 7800 up: I just did on mine, to clean the buttons out, and my god it is one very solid, very pretty unit. Worth cracking open, just to see how simple it is. :D Much better than any of the older 2600 models (pre Jr), especially the 6 switchers.