IGNORED

A Closer Look at Wii Fit

gamerz

• 1 month later...

Very good in-depth review there Stan. Obviously a lot of time was spent getting to 'know' this release, as there's so much to do in it, being many games, along with actual 'legit' exercises (I guess you can say--yoga and all) too. They're challenging, fun, have tons of replay value, and you get to burn calories as well!

The family got one several weeks ago and I hardly miss a day on it.

Very good in-depth review there Stan. Obviously a lot of time was spent getting to 'know' this release, as there's so much to do in it, being many games, along with actual 'legit' exercises (I guess you can say--yoga and all) too. They're challenging, fun, have tons of replay value, and you get to burn calories as well!

The family got one several weeks ago and I hardly miss a day on it.

Agreed. I actually took about 6 months off from it and regained 10lbs. I am now working very hard again with Wii Fit, Wii Fit Plus, and EA Active (another really great exercise "game") to try to take it all back off and lose some more. Wii Fit is great, but you get out of it what you put in. It is also a good starting platform for getting into fitness, after which you can move on to more intense programs like those found in EA Active. Highly recommended!

Thanks for giving the article a read!

Excellent article!!! Enjoyed the story and all the pictures!

We had Wii Fit and then traded it in for Wii Fit Plus. It gets a regular workout, especially by the wife-unit, and does in fact seem to really help and inspire both of us to get a bit more healthy. Plus, we've had company come over and had a blast just playing the Balance games in a sort of "party" atmosphere. I know two of our friends also purchased a Wii and Wii Fit based on the fun they had while visiting us.

The only change that I would like to see incorporated into Wii Fit Plus is that I would like to see the date included in the "record" of an exercise or balance game. Seeing the date that I got 28.8 in Downhill Skiing or 132 points in Balance Table and seeing if (and how much) I'm improving my score over time would be a nice addition. (I've Emailed Nintendo suggesting this)

Some may call Wii Fit Plus a "fad gadget" that gets little use, but not in our house. Speaking for myself, I view it as no more a of a fad gadget than a Guitar Hero guitar. a DJ Hero turntable, or Modern Warfare 2 Night Goggles.

Mendon

Decorum prohibits me from posting links, but there are some excellent videos online featuring "actresses" playing Wii Fit. Topless.

Just in case you're tired of aerobics, but still want to keep that heart rate up. :D

"actresses" you say? What does "decorum" say about sending me a PM? :ponder:

@Mendon,

I agree, Wii Fit Plus adds a lot of great new content the to base game. No way is it "fad gadget." As a matter of fact, as my article states, it was exactly what I was needing to inject some new life into the base game.

PM the link here also.

I might have to break down and pick this up after seeing that.

As fine as StanJr looks in those pictures, I'm still not yet convinced. That video might push me over the edge godslabrat.

PM the link here also.

As fine as StanJr looks in those pictures, I'm still not yet convinced. That video might push me over the edge godslabrat.

I do look fine thank you very much. I can do some topless pics of my own if you like... :ponder:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for giving the article a read!

You're welcome, and I'm glad that several others have chimed in since as well! :)

Plus, we've had company come over and had a blast just playing the Balance games in a sort of "party" atmosphere. I know two of our friends also purchased a Wii and Wii Fit based on the fun they had while visiting us.

That's great!

Yeah, it IS interesting just to watch as it is, even without it being a powerhouse as far as the graphics go with the other current gaming systems.

The only change that I would like to see incorporated into Wii Fit Plus is that I would like to see the date included in the "record" of an exercise or balance game.

I'd like to be able to mute that squeeky voice when you do your body test and all. It just has a few very little things to tweak it a tiny bit, and that's it. It's great enough as it is.

Some may call Wii Fit Plus a "fad gadget" that gets little use, but not in our house.

No way in utter HELL a "fad" costs a hundred bucks (note: that's with the game and the Wii Fii Board, if you have to buy that package), yet was still a top seller for 2009. I was surprised in reading that several weeks ago, I had no idea.

Exercising is easy when it is fun. My grandparrents gave me their tread mill cause they never used it, Now I got it set in a corner with a TV and walk on it nearly every day while I watch the news :P

Agreed 100%. And go for you too :)

Very nice, detailed work, Stan, and congrats on the results. I have and will likely always believe that training with weights is the overall best way to work out, but I very much appreciate the sound, fundamental information provided by "exergames" like Wii Fit/Plus and EA Sports Active, among others. I wouldn't have written "Wii Fitness for Dummies" if I didn't believe that to be the case. These programs not only are great at motivation, but can also be a lot of fun, two major factors in anyone sticking with a workout regimen.

Thanks Bill!

As you well know, the most important thing is consistency. No matter how you choose to get fit, you have to keep with it, good day and bad. There are definitely days when I don't want to do my Wii Fit or workout with EA Active, but I do it anyway, because I am working toward something. These "games" are great motivational tools and great for keeping me on track.

I just wish the Wii Fit could account for muscle mass accumulation as I am not losing weight so much now as turning fat into muscle.

I just wish the Wii Fit could account for muscle mass accumulation as I am not losing weight so much now as turning fat into muscle.

Yeah, that's definitely a major failing of the program and something we stress in the book. I'm about 5'9" at around 190lbs., so depending on how the Balance Board is accounting for things that day and the normal variances in the program, I'm either marked as borderline obese or obese, which is obviously not the case. The more lean muscle you have, the less accurate the assessment is. It's best just to go by how you feel and look than a relatively arbitrary number/calculation after you reach a certain threshold.

Nice to know I'm not alone in that, I'm 5'11" and around 210lbs. and it keeps telling me I need to be 157lbs. !!!! I don't think that would be healthy. I could stand to be around 195/200, but not much less than that.

This is where education comes in. Knowing your body and what is reasonable will help combat an otherwise mindless video game. ;)

Nice to know I'm not alone in that, I'm 5'11" and around 210lbs. and it keeps telling me I need to be 157lbs. !!!! I don't think that would be healthy. I could stand to be around 195/200, but not much less than that.

This is where education comes in. Knowing your body and what is reasonable will help combat an otherwise mindless video game. ;)

Yes, that would be 157lbs with a "normal" (typically untrained) muscle to fat ratio. Wii Fit Plus actually does a better job with the qualifiers around its assessments, so it doesn't present its information in quite such an off kilter manner.

I've been using my pre-existing profile, should I delete it and start a new one now that I have Wii Fit Plus? Will it give something closer to realistic results?

No, you should keep your existing profile. Everything transfers over. It's basically the same core program, it just has extra features tacked on. I was more referring to both the manual and the program being clearer about the usefulness or lack thereof of the rating. The actual calculation and results are the same.

• 4 weeks later...

PM the link here also.

I do look fine thank you very much. I can do some topless pics of my own if you like... :ponder:

Nope, the topless wimmen are enough for most of us, I think :P

Oh yeah: before godslabrat sent me the link (thanks, btw :) ), I just did a search for "topless women on the Wii". Um, sadly, there's more than one site that does such a thing, another one had a bunch of British babes playing Wii games. There's different ones per game too, so you can take your pick :cool:

• 4 weeks later...

...Getting back to the reason this thread exists, what are your opinions on the Wii Fit channel? Is it worth completely reorganizing all my VC purchases so that I can clear enough blocks in the system memory? The sucker takes up 100+ blocks, so if I'm going to use it, this better be good.