IGNORED

Ports/ideas I could see for the TI

S1500

After drifting around in classic arcade coinops & modern puzzle games, I can see a lot of these easily ported to the TI-99/4A. The TI's tile graphic system seems to be begging for tile puzzle games.

A Columns port? No problem.

That one Taito coin-op that I can't think of that's a puzzle game?

Tetris? okay, that's been done. Heck, there was one even done in Extended Basic.

Bejeweled? Sure. I just never figured out an algo to determine if there's no more possible moves left.

And then there's the non-puzzle games.

Space Zap. Why not?

Dream Shopper. Maybe? It's tile-ish.

• Like 1

The Taito puzzle game you're thinking of might be Puzzle Bobble (Bust-A-Move).

I'd personally like to see an RPG like Final Fantasy made for the TI. Something like that would be neat. Maybe a sequel to Tunnels of Doom that takes place above ground and is similar to a Final Fantasy type of game.

• Like 1

I'd personally like to see an RPG like Final Fantasy made for the TI. Something like that would be neat. Maybe a sequel to Tunnels of Doom that takes place above ground and is similar to a Final Fantasy type of game.

There is a CRPG in the works. Checkout:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/150398-ti-994a-vintage-crpg/

Edited by kroy2049

There is a CRPG in the works. Checkout:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/150398-ti-994a-vintage-crpg/

I'm also working on what I've taken to calling an "RPG lite," but since it's so early in development, and I'm not an RPG expert by any means, I dunno if it'll be a worthy addition to the pantheon. It'll be adventure-y, anyway. :) Actually a little bit of a TradeWars or Elite feel, but in a classic RPG setting. If that makes any sense.

And I highly recommend a read of Adam's CRPG blog -- when he does get it done, it's gonna be incredible, from the looks of things.

Bejewled--- check out TI Clickety by Marc Hull--- you can DL it from the TI Gameshelf.

TI Clickerty is more like Collapse where you simply click adjacent blocks with same color to remove. Remaining blocks fall to fill bottom gaps.

In Bejewled you swap adjacent blocks to form a chain. The chain is removed and more gems fall from the top to fill the gaps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bejeweled

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collapse!

Other TI-99/4A games exists based on the Collapse gameplay.

:)

I know squat about the programming logistics of it, but I'd love to see someone do Elevator Action for the TI 99/4A. If the up-and-down scrolling wasn't a problem, the rest of the game seems pretty basic - walking sprites, shooting, doors opening, etc.

And I know Tapper is on the rarity list as planned, but never finished -- would love to see that one, again, just because I love the game. I could see the four-sprites-per-line issue becoming a problem with Tapper, though. Maybe flip the playfield so the bars go vertically on the screen?

• Like 1

Columns, Tetris and Bejewled are certainly possibilities. I’ve looked at them before, but I didn’t go as far as creating folders for them.

Space Zap has its own folder. It’s been too long since I revisited. Did a version back in the eighties, but it’s lost forever now.

Never saw Dream Shopper before. Looks like good fun there.

Both Puzzle Bobble (Bust-A-Move) and Tapper are fun, but would have its share of graphical challenges.

A “playable” Collapse clone is available at my site as Turn It Down.

RPGs typically take too long to create and program. I won’t do Final Fantasy, but I might do something on a “smaller” basis.

Elevator Action is also a possibility. I did manage to scroll the entire screen vertically, smoothly and in real time, so I’m pretty sure this is not a problem. Demo available at my site as Secret Scroll.

:cool:

• Like 1

Both Puzzle Bobble (Bust-A-Move) and Tapper are fun, but would have its share of graphical challenges.

Well... there's a Colecovision version of Tapper, and the Colecovision has got the same graphics chip as the TI-99. And performance-wise, I think the TI-99 should be able to do it at least as well as the Colecovision version actually has got pretty choppy animation (some parts of the action only move forward at 2-3 fps!)

Well... there's a Colecovision version of Tapper, and the Colecovision has got the same graphics chip as the TI-99. And performance-wise, I think the TI-99 should be able to do it at least as well as the Colecovision version actually has got pretty choppy animation (some parts of the action only move forward at 2-3 fps!)

That’s right. And thanks for bringing my attention to it. The ColecoVision is a very good implementation. Good combination of character and sprite graphics. And the flicker is kept at a moderate level. Good. Had one go with the CV and got to screen 14. Forgot all about the aliens.

If I did a Tapper clone, I would probably also look at the original arcade, rethink some of the layout and graphics, add something new, and certainly remove the “shell” game in between levels.

As I have merely released 88 demos and not a single complete game yet, I’m going for something a bit simpler (less code). With this hobby, I can’t help being a bit of a “drifter”, so ...

That’s right. And thanks for bringing my attention to it. The ColecoVision is a very good implementation. Good combination of character and sprite graphics. And the flicker is kept at a moderate level. Good. Had one go with the CV and got to screen 14. Forgot all about the aliens.

If I did a Tapper clone, I would probably also look at the original arcade, rethink some of the layout and graphics, add something new, and certainly remove the “shell” game in between levels.

As I have merely released 88 demos and not a single complete game yet, I’m going for something a bit simpler (less code). With this hobby, I can’t help being a bit of a “drifter”, so ...

Ah, but without the shell game, how can you subtly work in that lucrative sponsorship from Budweiser (or Mountain Dew, depending on the version you're playing)? ;)

• Haha 1

Ah, but without the shell game, how can you subtly work in that lucrative sponsorship from Budweiser (or Mountain Dew, depending on the version you're playing)? ;)

The arcade version seems much harder. You have to first fill the mug and then release it. Much less responsive I must say. Can’t just double tap the fire button. Sometimes it works, sometimes it appears to be too fast (have to tap again).

Only got as far as screen 3 (one go). I have never played this game much, and always felt the shell game to be a filler of some sort. Ok, I see the sponsor might be a bit more exposed.

:?

It seems to me that some NES games might work on the TI. I don't think "Metroid" would come out very well (I seem to remember that even my NES would slow down if the action on the screen started heating up), but something like "The Legend of Zelda" (simpler graphics and gameplay) might work, at least in cartridge form. Save games could be done via some sort of flash memory, or better yet, they could be saved to a floppy or cassette (which would allow multiple players to each have three saves ((the NES game allowed three save slots, IIRC)), without each player having to own her own cartridge).

I saw a video on YouTube, of a "Super Mario Brothers 2" clone done for the TI in Extended BASIC. It didn't look all that great, but then again, it didn't look like it took full advantage of the TI's graphics capability. If the graphics were tweaked, and the gameplay sped up a bit (assembly, instead of XB, anyone?), you could probably get a halfway decent SMB2 port on the TI.

Also, "Duck Hunt" might be do-able, though without a light gun, you'd have to use a joystick (or the keyboard) to move a targeting reticle on the screen, which takes some of the fun and skill out of the game.

I also would like to see some ColecoVision games ported over, like "Smurf: Rescue In Gargamel's Castle;" or Coleco's arcade ports, such as "LadyBug" and "Mousetrap." I was also going to suggest that "Time Pilot" would work on the TI, but I see that retroclouds is already working on it.

And I wonder if some of the early Game Boy games might be made to work on the TI?

Oh, great, now I've got the "Zelda" BGM running through my head... >_<

I've got one that's pretty obscure... in fact, I've never talked to anyone who's played it before I showed it to them!

It's a game I played on the C64 called "Quinx." (Not "Qix," the line drawing game.) In Quinx, you're a small man defending a piece of notebook paper against inkblots. If they traverse the paper before you step on them, they eat a chunk of it. Periodically, the paper changes color, and whatever piece you're standing on becomes the active playfield - you must still control 25% or more of the paper at the end of each cycle to keep going. Also, there are food-based power-ups, which cause a tooth decay meter to rise. Let it go too high, and a dentist walks down the screen and forces your player over to a toothbrush (and off your paper, where the inkblots are merrily eating it up).

It sounds like someone had too many drugs and fell asleep in school, right? :) I would not even mention it, because I know it's so hard to explain, but someone has made the game playable in Flash, so you can try it out.

Advantages: static play board (no scrolling required), baddie sprites line up vertically (no four-or-more sprites on a line, except perhaps in very rare cases). I'm not sure how you'd handle drawing ink lines across the tablet paper, or deal with the ravaging inkblots when they "eat" the paper, but I'm sure these are not insurmountable obstacles.

I guess the real question is, does anyone want to port a game no one's ever heard of?! :)

Keith

http://c64s.com/game/101310/quinx/

Now, that was actually fun. And yes, quite doable, though there might turn out to be some compromise on the graphics or just introduction of flickery sprites. A lot can be achieved with characters in the “popular” hybrid bitmap mode (256 characters with individual and extended vertical color information).

I’m not putting Quinx on my to-do-list. But thanks for sharing !

• 4 weeks later...

I was a big fan of a game called MOTH! that was available to Mac users back in the mid 90's. Similar to Hen Pecked in it's physics, but very original other than that. Another great game that could work well on the TI is the "Cosmic Creeps" game on Atari. Nobody but me liked this game though

My TI's are both suffering with broken keyboards-- so I need to make a breakout box for a PS2 keyboard one of thee days. It's a fairly simple thing to make, I have heard/read.

Many of us have more spare TI consoles than we know what to do with lying around. If you'd like a working console for the cost of shipping, just let me know and I'll get one in the mail for you.