IGNORED

Just beat AD&D Cloudy Mountain (INTV) on Hero difficulty

thegoldenband

I think this thread was started long before I joined Atariage.

This was one of the games I saw on display in a department store back in the day, and probably played the most of any game on the system. I can easily complete the game on hard without loss of life but I still keep coming back to it. The mechanics of the game are just so elegant.

Correction:

* Red: Snakes guard the exit and prize (axe), plus a rat

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I found this excellent thread by searching this morning! I bought my first Intellivision a few years back and never played ADHD enough to understand it. This past weekend, I hooked it up and played the game and finally beat it on easy. I had to learn the rules of the game and the creature AI. Great game. Afterwards I played a few rounds of 5200 Adventure II and I think they complement each other. For a while I was playing ADHD on Hero by accident - yowza that is challenging.

• 10 months later...

* The skulls are just there to freak you out and make you waste arrows.

Just wanted to note that this isn't quite correct -- the skulls are valuable information, since they tell you a snake or dragon is in the next room. (EDIT: Or a blob.)

Little dots (droppings) tell you there's a rat nearby, and footprints tell you there's a demon in an adjacent room.

BTW rereading this thread just prompted me to pull AD&D out for the first time in a while. Took about 45 minutes to take it down again on Hero. :)

Just wanted to note that this isn't quite correct -- the skulls are valuable information, since they tell you a snake or dragon is in the next room. (EDIT: Or a blob.)

I am sure this is not the case. Skulls are randomly placed, and are not seen on all three approaches to an occupied room like the demon and rat tracks (every room has three exits). Sleeping noise is the only way to track a snake or dragon.

(Edit)Blobs leave no tracks and don't have any sound, but are visible in the dark.

- J

Edited by HunterZero

I am sure this is not the case. Skulls are randomly placed, and are not seen on all three approaches to an occupied room like the demon and rat tracks (every room has three exits).

Mmm, I'm not sure about this -- there seems to be some relation between the snake and skulls in my experience, and I think it's the case with the dragon too. Maybe a disassembly would reveal something? I feel quite sure that on my last playthrough, every room adjacent to the last winged dragon had a skull.

I'll have to play the game again to check how many skulls are placed in each dungeon, but I have a gut feeling it's two.

My best guess as to why they are there is to scare you into firing arrows, which not only wastes an arrow but could then ricochet back and hurt you. This would make you think twice about shooting when you first reveal something in a cavern, and have to make a pressured decision whether to fire or not. You get plenty of time on the easier levels, but on the hardest level, a split second delay could be enough to kill you.

- James

This was one of the first games my parents bought for me and my brother. There was no way we would take turns independently, so we always played together usually with me running using controller 2 and him shooting with controller 1 (which is how we discovered the "arrow wall trick"). It was only 5 or so years ago that we learned that the disc and controller keys can't be pushed at the same time on the same controller; we never played any game with just one! Same for Tron Deadly Discs and Night Stalker and Space Hawk.

On the Flashback, I was able to get my 7-year-old into Cloudy Mountain because of the suspense and listening for sound clues. And I was running the man, and he controlled the arrow shooting.

Great stuff!

Has anyone ever taken the time to clear every mountain?

This is in my top 10 INTV games for sure.

You can go through every black mountain, but you technically can't "clear" every mountain. The last 4 mountains you visited are empty and you can move over them without entering them, but after that they start repopulating with monsters and you will go into the caves again.

- J

You can go through every black mountain, but you technically can't "clear" every mountain. The last 4 mountains you visited are empty and you can move over them without entering them, but after that they start repopulating with monsters and you will go into the caves again.

- J

That explains it.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Finally beat the game in hero mode for only the 2nd time!

post-16548-0-52420900-1455937983_thumb.png

My strategies:

• Pick a map that has lots of woods to hack through and has rivers that you can go around. Get an axe from a red mountain.

• Try to only go through gray and red mountains. There are no dragons in these mountains.

• Run away from the rats to save on arrows.

• Avoid the snake in the gray mountain - he doesn't guard anything anyway.

• Like 2

One of the more wooded maps starts you off with the only choice of 2 purple mountains. That is the hardest one.

Every mountain has a 3rd nasty monster that is not necessary to kill and you can save arrows by avoiding it.

Gray: Snake

Red: Rat

Blue: Dragon

Purple: Demon

Cloudy Mountain: Snake (I said demon before but it's actually a snake)

- J

Edited by HunterZero
  • Like 1