IGNORED

USPS Media Mail Piss-me-off issue - anyone?

rpmxxipt

Hi all,

I've been using USPS media mail fairly regularly for shipment of game-related stuff I've sold on eBay - little things, CD's and software mostly, nothing outrageous. (It's about the only thing I WILL use USPS for, since they're generally twice as expensive as FedEx to deliver anything over 1 pound anywhere in the US.)

HOWEVER, I've noticed recently that at at least the two postal substations I use, the clerks are getting VERY snippy about anything shipped MM, and now recently have actually DEMANDED a manifest before they process my packages. This pisses me off, because I'm pretty honest about the whole thing, abiding by their conditions and all. So now I'm thinking: is this illegal for them to do?

I'm SURE I could geek these clerks into refusing my parcel by saying "I don't think that's any of your f'ing business, is it?" or better yet, getting them to open my mail right there by careful use of tactic #1 and then challenging them: ".. So why don't you open it up yourself and take a look, IDIOT?"

As a then-newly disenfranchised citizen disallowed access to the public mail, could I then sue the Postal Service for (Dr. Evil voice): ONE MILLION DOLLARS?

- RPM -

Don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure the disgruntled employees of your local post office substations are allowed to request any information that they see fit at the current moment in time...and never, EVER refuse or the blood bath of rage that will follow is just.......awful.

Actually, I'm not really sure the answer to your question, but anytime I can use "disgruntled post office employee" into a thread I gotta take a shot at it...errrm, no pun intended.

Dave ;)

So now I'm thinking: is this illegal for them to do?

I'm pretty sure it is in no way illegal for them to ask you what is in the package and to ask follow-up questions if they don't understand. It is their job right? I've noticed a big difference between PO's, some clerks are super precise and want to know 'Exactly' what you are sending and some go on your word. Try to find a good place for you :)

The Post Office that I use also likes to question what I ship when I use media mail.  I even had one postal worker question me as to how I knew about media mail.

now that's funny. I've been lucky, my PO only questions my stuff 1 out of every 10 packages, maybe when the clerk is having a bad day. Your clerks must always have bad days :twisted:

I find it extremely annoying when the clerks ask me what is in the package. They are supposed to ask if there is anything liquid, fragile, or something else which I can't remember. That is the ONLY questions they may ask. They CANNOT ask what is in the package unless you must specify it on a customs form. X-Ray machines will take care of most of the questions anyone has that is in the package.

Funny thing is that these guys know me. I go to 3 different post offices and show my face at least 1 time every 2 weeks, some I'm in 3 times per week. And sometimes they still ask me if what I have is media mail. I'll continue this later since my fiancee is yelling at me to goto bed. :)

Phil

This is straight from usps.com:

Media Mail™

Small and large packages, thick envelopes, and tubes can be sent using Media Mail. Contents are limited to books, film, manuscripts, sound recordings, video tapes, and computer media (such as CDs, DVDs, and diskettes). Sometimes called "Book Rate," Media Mail cannot contain advertising. Media Mail is less expensive than Parcel Post.

So I don't see why it would be wrong for them to ask what's in the package, if you are putting something that isn't supposed to be in there for a cheaper price than that's fraud.

Speaking as a former postal window clerk. Yes, they can ask what you are shipping media mail. And, if it doesn't qualify for that rate they can refuse to ship it media mail. I only remember ever having to actually refuse to ship something media mail one time, usually when you explained that their package didn't qualify for it, the customer was fine about it. The one time I mentioned, was when a lady tried to send something media mail that was obviously returned clothes to a mail order company. After she refused to open the package, she went into a tirade about never coming back to that post office. I thought to myself "good riddance".

Be kind to your postal workers, it's a tough job. I only did it for five years and that was enough!

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

Ok, back this morning with no fiancee over the shoulder. I don't know whether or not they are supposed to ask, but from my experience, these guys see me every week. I know what is supposed to go media mail. Some of the guys just take my packages and just ship them without question because they know me. A couple of others do know me, but have a tendency of asking if there is clothes in the packages. I tell them straight up. All I ship are comic books and video games 99% of the time. Comics always go flat unless they are bought in a huge lot that will require a box. Video games are usually smaller, but if you are shipping systems, it is in a bigger box. Thing is, I'm not sure if the system can qualify as media mail but the games can. Though I've sent systems media mail, I've tried avoiding it because if they find out what's inside and they send it back to you, it becomes your hassle. I would think a system would qualify as an electronic device similar to a dvd player or tv. So you may want to ask, even just call anonymously if you have to.

Phil

The confirmation is not a waste of time.

1. If you print your own label from the usps website, confirmation is FREE.

2. You have a tracking number. Though the mailman sucks once in awhile and actually scans this thing delivered and it isn't, most of the time, you know where the package is.

3. If someone disputes ever receiving the item (yes that is a growing problem with Ebay), then you have a means of proving that the item reached its destination and you can show Ebay/Paypal that it has been delivered so they don't take back your funds.

Phil

The Post Office has every right to ask you what is inside the boxes that you are sending. If you go to an airport and the bag that you put through the scanner needed to be looked at by hand, but you didn't want to show them the contents, they could refuse you entry.

Remember, the USPS is a business and was not just created for you. While they are performing a job, they need to make sure that everyone stays as safe as possible. Things like Media Mail were created as a special service which, if the service is abused will simply be discontinued.

I go to different Post Offices all of the time, and usually none of them bother to ask me what is inside the packages anymore. They know me and what I'm sending too well. The few times that they do ask I figure it to be quicker to just respond right away than bicker about why they are asking.

From personal experiances, I only ship things Priority Mail. It has free packaging materials. I would much rather get a sturdy box than a bubble-wrapped envelope. I / The GOAT Store, LLC has never had a problem charging people the actual cost of Priority Mail for their orders.

The Post Office has every right to ask you what is inside the boxes that you are sending.  If you go to an airport and the bag that you put through the scanner needed to be looked at by hand, but you didn't want to show them the contents, they could refuse you entry.

Remember, the USPS is a business and was not just created for you.  While they are performing a job, they need to make sure that everyone stays as safe as possible.  Things like Media Mail were created as a special service which, if the service is abused will simply be discontinued.

I go to different Post Offices all of the time, and usually none of them bother to ask me what is inside the packages anymore.  They know me and what I'm sending too well.  The few times that they do ask I figure it to be quicker to just respond right away than bicker about why they are asking.

From personal experiances, I only ship things Priority Mail.  It has free packaging materials.  I would much rather get a sturdy box than a bubble-wrapped envelope.  I / The GOAT Store, LLC has never had a problem charging people the actual cost of Priority Mail for their orders.

Wow, somebody who agrees with me 100% ! :)

Hmmm

Is it wrong for me to ship any Jaguar games via Media Mail? ;-)

64-bit multi-MEDIA cartridge ....

Luckily, they never ask whats in my packages... (as I always tell them, CD's (Dc games) or a computer game (any other cart based media)

I don't really think there's anything wrong with that.

Turns out I usually go Parcel Post in most cases anyhow...

Clint Thompson

:P

well i guess then im the only one with bad luck when it comes to sending and receiving things via Media mail and Parcal post. It took 45 days by media mail to get a CD :x and when someone had asked me to send something by parcal post it came damaged, not to mention the Dreamcast game i paid for priority mail and it came parcal post and DAMAGED :x

medai mail/parcal post = pony xpress/by-foot-xpress :x