IGNORED

Moj Mikro magazine listings: Colors

Gury

Hello there,

I will be presenting various listings on different topics from Slovenian magazine Moj Mikro in coming weeks and months. Listings were never released in type-in version on the internet before. They will be followed by brief description of their functionality and inner workings, with probable short explanation from original articles. The website of Moj Mikro magazine can be found here. The idea become mature when I bought original magazines from 1984 to 1988, with some of these and some from 1989 - 1990 already in my library. Please understand that some listings and descriptions will be probably to basic for experts on this forum, but I think everybody can enjoy them (even non-computerists and beginners) for further examination and modification. All of the listings are included in ATR file, Atari disk single-density format.

All of the material here is the property of Moj Mikro magazine.

mojmikro_logo.png

The scanned on-line YU magazines, excellent source of scanned listings, you can find here.

On this first introduction, I will walk you through two short programs written in Atari BASIC, which show many colors on the screen, one of the main features of 8-bit Atari home computers. They include short machine language routines, which are stored in DATA lines for easy typing.

First program is called Multicolor screen, which shows 24 different colors on every graphics 0 line. This was possible with display list interrupt, which begins on address 1536 and can be moved to any other address. So, it's relocatable. Short machine language routine starts at 48. byte, which triggers first color from the table on top of the screen. Program can be useful for easier typing of long DATA lines, or when it is very important for lines not to be mixed, etc. Program can be modified for other graphics modes.

multicolor_screen_1.png

multicolor_screen_2.png

Publisher: Moj Mikro, 1988/12, page 55

Author : Kresimir Tonkovic

Filename : M8812551.BAS

Second program shows even more colors, 128 of them. More specifically, it shows new color on every scanline on the display screen.

128_colors.png

Publisher: Moj Mikro, 1989/6, page 58

Author : Dejan Bulajic

Filename : MM890658.BAS

This is it for the first time. Next time... You will see!

Greetings,

Gury

moj_mikro_colors.zip

M8812551.BAS

MM890658.BAS

Edited by Gury

Yes, I agree. But unfortunatelly some of the listings don't have much of the accompanying articles, just short explanations, so I didn't bother to include scanned pages of these examples. But most of the next installments will also feature assembly language listings for any curious programmers to examine the inner workings of the Atari BASIC DATA lines from the main programs. One of the reasons I decided to start with all thing is because there is a great site dedicated to magazines from ex-YU countries, with scanned images of many magazine issues. The link is

http://retrospec.sgn.net/users/tomcat/yu/revije.php

Among these magazines there is also Moj Mikro, Slovenian magazine, with nearly all scans from Serbocroatian version of the magazine, with Slovenian version progressing.

Edited by Gury