IGNORED

Jaws are breakin' north and south

Jess Ragan

http://cgi.ebay.com/EXT-RARE-ATARI-2600-JAWBREAKER-PROTOTYPE_W0QQitemZ260511978728QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVideo_Games_Games?hash=item3ca7b954e8

A little late to be posting this, but I'm nevertheless curious. Is this a genuine prototype or just a standard copy of Jawbreaker with a bullseye sticker slapped on the back?

http://cgi.ebay.com/EXT-RARE-ATARI-2600-JAWBREAKER-PROTOTYPE_W0QQitemZ260511978728QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVideo_Games_Games?hash=item3ca7b954e8

A little late to be posting this, but I'm nevertheless curious. Is this a genuine prototype or just a standard copy of Jawbreaker with a bullseye sticker slapped on the back?

I answered this question on DP, and I'm just copying and pasting my response out of laziness.

This cart is not a prototype. It is a Brazilian knock-off. This particular company had a target on their font label instead of a name. The end label has the game number followed by the game name.

This game reads "11 - Jawbreaker". You can see more of these exact carts in this thread on items manufactured for the 2600 in Brazil (post #22):

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/83572-items-for-atari-2600-manufactured-in-brazil/page__view__findpost__p__1019388

Note that they followed the same style. The other carts end labels say "9 - Enduro", "17 - Atlantis", etc...

I emailed the seller the first time this came up on ebay and told him it was released by Videospot from Brazil...but he didn't change the listing.... never-the-less I liked the game and bid generously... but someone kept raising me... i get a little suspicious when identities are kept absolutely private... and then a couple of days later the same game re-appears on ebay by the same seller.

This time again my bid was raised 4 times... wouldn't surprise me if it comes up again..

I truely hope he didn't pay $300 for it as he claimed in his listing ;)

Edited by nofrills100

I emailed the seller the first time this came up on ebay and told him it was released by Videospot from Brazil...but he didn't change the listing.... never-the-less I liked the game and bid generously... but someone kept raising me... i get a little suspicious when identities are kept absolutely private... and then a couple of days later the same game re-appears on ebay by the same seller.

This time again my bid was raised 4 times... wouldn't surprise me if it comes up again..

I can see how people get sucked into buying these overseas games. It is a fun looking cart.

I can see how people get sucked into buying these overseas games. It is a fun looking cart.

yeah it looks nice eh!

I wanted to buy it purely for aesthetic value.

yeah it looks nice eh!

I wanted to buy it purely for aesthetic value.

Next time, put through a last second snipe. That way he won't have time to raise you ;)

OR, send Tombrazil here a PM. I'm sure he will be able to source one for you at a very reasonable price

Edited by Dino

If this was PAL there would be 25 PALFAGS defending it's impossibility, totally incredulous about how it could sell for less than $200, and OMIGOD WHAT A DEAL BUYER GOT!

Rarity and most Brazilian makes doesn't always make sense. It's possible that they made carts to order from a list they supplied to storefronts (most likely video stores/video rental places). There were mom and pop companies all over the country making carts and selling them. This make isn't the smallest, but is far from the largest.

I've been poking at the 1-10 system for some time when it comes to imports, pirates and in between. I would rather see the C/U/R/ER system being used for many of these imports because it at least underscores the fact that we can't tease out nuances of rarity in limited markets located thousands of miles away, with only a few copies of a game publicly announced. And whoever's saying how dang rare something is, probably has a serious bias. In the US we have thousands of collectors finding hundreds of thousands of carts over the course of 20 years to back up the rarity levels of the NTSC market. I would say that 2 finds of a game statistically means SAMPLE SIZE TOO SMALL. Rom? Chime in or redirect me to a discussion about this already in progress?

Frankly, this cart is a basic Braz game worth about what it sold for, or maybe $10. Not a terrible buy if it is in good condition. But a prototype? Never.

• Like 1

If this was PAL there would be 25 PALFAGS defending it's impossibility, totally incredulous about how it could sell for less than $200, and OMIGOD WHAT A DEAL BUYER GOT!

Rarity and most Brazilian makes doesn't always make sense. It's possible that they made carts to order from a list they supplied to storefronts (most likely video stores/video rental places). There were mom and pop companies all over the country making carts and selling them. This make isn't the smallest, but is far from the largest.

I've been poking at the 1-10 system for some time when it comes to imports, pirates and in between. I would rather see the C/U/R/ER system being used for many of these imports because it at least underscores the fact that we can't tease out nuances of rarity in limited markets located thousands of miles away, with only a few copies of a game publicly announced. And whoever's saying how dang rare something is, probably has a serious bias. In the US we have thousands of collectors finding hundreds of thousands of carts over the course of 20 years to back up the rarity levels of the NTSC market. I would say that 2 finds of a game statistically means SAMPLE SIZE TOO SMALL. Rom? Chime in or redirect me to a discussion about this already in progress?

Frankly, this cart is a basic Braz game worth about what it sold for, or maybe $10. Not a terrible buy if it is in good condition. But a prototype? Never.

25PALFAGS - is he a member on here.... :roll:

A lot of those PALFAGS are long time collectors who are constantly scouring Ebay, fleas etc throughout Europe, so when they get amazed about a great PAL find, you better believe that it is RARE!!

As for this title, as Rom said, its not too rare. I have seen quite a few of these myself over the years and don't think its anything to get excited about - its a $5 cart IMO.

The other thing to bear in mind is that all Braz carts bar two are pirates, and pirate carts don't get people as excited and don't command anywhere near the prices of originals whether taht be in PAL land or NTSC land. That's why, unless you are talking about Air Raid or the Megaboy, you won't find too many people getting excited about Braz carts. ;)

True.

Although I totally agree with Ian about poking at the 1-10 rarity nonsense, I think that at this moment (thanks to the fanatic digging of all the die hard PAL collectors) we can more or less determine which PAL carts are truly rare and which ones are not, just like we can with the US carts.

Also, the PAL sector contains some true originals (making the rarity of these carts more interesting), unlike the Brazilian sector (the MegaBoy excluded).

It takes an awful lot of time, however, to find out which Brazilian carts are truly rare (collectors like Sr. Ferraz are of enormous help to inform us about that).

A lot of collectors simply don't know enough about Brazilian carts to know which ones are really rare and which ones aren't.

Since a couple of months, a hardcore Brazilian VCS cart collector is informing me about the über rare Brazilian carts, so I hope a Rarity 10 (less than 4 known to exist) list of Brazilian carts (and tapes!) will be formed in the future.

Hopefully, we will have a "complete" Rarity 10 list in a couple of years.

Edited by Rom Hunter