IGNORED

Something else I'm working on

Propane13

Are you using 6 raster high zones? That's funny; that's what GCC did with Ms. Pac-Man to get most of the maze on the screen.

Yep! I took the Nintendo port, put a screenshot into MS paint (yes, that archaic program), and then realized the screen was 256x256-- to make adjustments, I tried some shrinking, but 6 pixel high rasters seem to look the best at the moment. We'll see if that gets me into trouble down the line when I start moving the ball between the zones. :)

-John

Back to the paddles/joystick/trackball/driving controllers question--

So, for starters, I'm going to begin with the joystick support.

I have 3 good reasons for it at this stage of the game:

1) It's the easiest to implement of the 4

2) 7800 emulators as far as I know don't support these other pieces of hardware yet

3) I ummm... have no Cuttle Cart 2. :ponder:

At least with a joystick, I can get the main physics down and test in emulation.

Once things are working a little bit more, I can try adding in support for some of these other items, and then I can have other Cuttle Cart owners give it a shot. And, who knows? Maybe with this cart, it'll help some emulator guys write a driver for support of these other peripherals. That'd be cool. :)

-John

I'd strongly recommend implementing paddle support from the beginning, if possible. The CC2 would be the best option for testing it on real hardware, or as an alternative, you can install the DevOS BIOS in your 7800 and test it with an SRAM cartridge (limited to 32K, but big enough for the work you've done so far). Not to step on Albert's offer, but if you decide to go the DevOS route, let me know and I can send you the hardware you need, or even loan you a DevOS-enabled 7800 for testing.

I'd strongly recommend implementing paddle support from the beginning, if possible. The CC2 would be the best option for testing it on real hardware, or as an alternative, you can install the DevOS BIOS in your 7800 and test it with an SRAM cartridge (limited to 32K, but big enough for the work you've done so far). Not to step on Albert's offer, but if you decide to go the DevOS route, let me know and I can send you the hardware you need, or even loan you a DevOS-enabled 7800 for testing.

You're not stepping on my toes, a DevOS-enabled 7800 would work out quite well. :)

..Al

Well....

I guess I could share a *tiny* update.

It's just a static screen, but it shows the potential.

post-151-125972100697_thumb.gif

Here are the bin and a78 files:

20091201_arkanoid.a78

20091201_arkanoid.bin

-John

Thanks! It looks cool though on a real machine, there's some funky stuff happening.

Thanks for taking on this project for the 7800!

Count me in for a cartridge whenever this is finished!!

Adeptrapier

:)

Thanks! It looks cool though on a real machine, there's some funky stuff happening.

Looks like the DLL isn't initialized in the unused screen area. Should be an easy fix.

Prosystem (maybe also MESS) defaults the memory to all 00s so that type of glitch won't show up in the emulator.

[Looks like the DLL isn't initialized in the unused screen area. Should be an easy fix.

Prosystem (maybe also MESS) defaults the memory to all 00s so that type of glitch won't show up in the emulator.

I'm getting the same glitch on MacMESS. Granted this is a rather old version of MESS.

Also, seeing it on Wii7800.

Edited by Nerf Herder73

Try this version. :)

20091203_arkanoid.a78

20091203_arkanoid.bin

Updates:

1) I think I have fixed the "real hardware" issue (let me know if it does/doesn't).

2) I've added 35 levels (level 36, the "Doh" level is not yet done). You can press select to scroll through them all, looping around. Feel free to cross-check them for errors against this website: http://www.nesmaps.com/maps/Arkanoid/Arkanoid.html

3) The Vaus is now on the screen, and can move left/right via controller.

For now, don't worry too much about the colors-- in the future, I need to play around a bit with the them, to get them to look a little better, and I also want to redesign the green background (since I don't like its pattern so much).

Enjoy!

-John

I suggest that if you want paddle support, it would be best to work that out now rather than later.

Supporting paddles will be tricky, and will probably dictate how the gameplay code is designed. If you try to add it at a later stage, you may find that everything has to be overhauled.

Try this version. :)

20091203_arkanoid.a78

20091203_arkanoid.bin

Updates:

1) I think I have fixed the "real hardware" issue (let me know if it does/doesn't).

2) I've added 35 levels (level 36, the "Doh" level is not yet done). You can press select to scroll through them all, looping around. Feel free to cross-check them for errors against this website: http://www.nesmaps.com/maps/Arkanoid/Arkanoid.html

3) The Vaus is now on the screen, and can move left/right via controller.

For now, don't worry too much about the colors-- in the future, I need to play around a bit with the them, to get them to look a little better, and I also want to redesign the green background (since I don't like its pattern so much).

Enjoy!

-John

Hey that's really cool!!

Keep up the good work!!

Adeptrapier

:)

Here's today's update.

- Ball added

- Ball collision with Vaus detection exists-- failure loses ball and you must press reset

- Ball speeds up over time

Not yet added:

- collisions with blocks

- multiple lives

- collision with the vaus at different locations changing vector of hit

20091204_arkanoid.a78

20091204_arkanoid.bin

post-151-125996822417_thumb.gif

This is the first "playable" version, although there isn't much gameplay.

Pretty much it's empty breakout without a paddle-- count how many times in a row you can hit the ball without pressing reset.

But, this should show a good proof-of-concept for the ball routine I've coded up.

Enjoy!

-John

P.S. Thanks to all those who have offered to send me extra hardware for this project-- I appreciate it, and may take one of you up on it a bit later. Right now, I want to get a little bit more gameplay finished first, and then I'll consider diving in. But, definitely many thanks for your generous offers. :) It's fun to keep being reminded of why this community rocks!

Here's today's update.

- Ball added

- Ball collision with Vaus detection exists-- failure loses ball and you must press reset

- Ball speeds up over time

Not yet added:

- collisions with blocks

- multiple lives

- collision with the vaus at different locations changing vector of hit

20091204_arkanoid.a78

20091204_arkanoid.bin

post-151-125996822417_thumb.gif

This is the first "playable" version, although there isn't much gameplay.

Pretty much it's empty breakout without a paddle-- count how many times in a row you can hit the ball without pressing reset.

But, this should show a good proof-of-concept for the ball routine I've coded up.

Enjoy!

-John

P.S. Thanks to all those who have offered to send me extra hardware for this project-- I appreciate it, and may take one of you up on it a bit later. Right now, I want to get a little bit more gameplay finished first, and then I'll consider diving in. But, definitely many thanks for your generous offers. :) It's fun to keep being reminded of why this community rocks!

Hey, you just remember, YOU are part of why this community rocks! Because you are willing to put the time and effort into making a game the rest of us will enjoy!!

Nice update. The ball does weird things on a real 7800 (tracks a tall thin beam from the bottom of the screen to its underside.

Any chance someone could provide a picture of this?

If I can kind of see how it looks, I have an idea of what to look for in order to debug.

I've got 2 ideas already, but this will help with confirmation.

Thanks!

-John

Nice update. The ball does weird things on a real 7800 (tracks a tall thin beam from the bottom of the screen to its underside.

Any chance someone could provide a picture of this?

If I can kind of see how it looks, I have an idea of what to look for in order to debug.

I've got 2 ideas already, but this will help with confirmation.

Thanks!

-John

Sure thing. Just went downstairs and took a shot.

post-1046-126003110016_thumb.jpg

Ok, based on the picture, I have an idea of what could be wrong.

<Technical boring crap>

My graphics data was stored at $8000, and it's a 32K game.

With HoleyDMA enabled, it says that "holes" can be present around certain blocks of graphics.

However, I remember something from when I did this a long time ago, such that if there's graphics at $8000 on a 32K game, the "hole" won't apply the the $7FXX block. So, I moved my graphics from $8000 to $C000. That should address any HoleyDMA problems in theory.

</Technical boring crap>

So, can you give this one a shot on real hardware? I'm curious to see if this solves the issue.

20091205_arkanoidtest.a78

20091205_arkanoidtest.bin

Thanks!

-John