IGNORED

Atari 1020 printer

JonnyBritish

Today i picked up a factory sealed Atari 1020 plotter for 25 dollars off Ebay. Question is after so long what are the chances of the pens actually working? Either way another cool piece of Atari technology.

Chances of the pens working are about 0. I think replacements may be available. It would be cool to find a way to refill the markers. Congrats on the purchase - I never owned an Atari printer and still to this day don't have one.

Stephen Anderson

Very cool find! The 1020 is a cute little unit. It's probably not too useful as a printer these days, but I fire mine up every once in a while so I can show my niece and nephew the cool Spirograph-like designs that it can draw. Atari bundled a sample cassette with the unit that includes programs for creating several such designs, as well as a simple sketch utility (all written in BASIC).

Fortunately, you can still get good 1020 pens. B&C ComputerVisions sells paper and new imported pens, as well as leftover pens from Atari. The Atari pens are very old and may not work for long, but they are much cheaper than the imported pens.

I'd be more concerned about the drive gears inside the printer, which are a common point of failure. The 1020 is built around a very problematic Alps print assembly, which uses plastic drive gears on the stepping motors which move the paper roller and pen carriage. Those drive gears are very tiny, and after 25+ years, they are also very brittle and prone to cracking open. The only source I know of for replacement gears is The Electronic Goldmine, which sells replacement assemblies (missing a few parts) that can be used as gear donors. However, out of a box of ~24 assemblies that I once bought for that purpose (back when they were fifty cents each), I only found enough intact gears to repair two 1020 printers.

Speaking of the 1020 sample programs, I copied them from cassette over to a floppy disk some years ago. I'll see if I can find and post an image of the disk I made; you might find it handy if you don't have a tape drive.

EDIT: I've attached the disk image containing Atari's sample programs. They all require BASIC, so boot the disk with BASIC enabled/inserted. The file names correspond to the program names given in the manual:

DOS     SYS 037
 DUP     SYS 042
 AUTORUN SYS 003
 DRAW    BAS 033
 SHOW    BAS 030
 SAMPLE  BAS 006
 RANDOM  BAS 010
 TRIANGLEBAS 010
 GRAPH   BAS 009
 COLOR   BAS 004
 TRIANG2 BAS 011
512 FREE SECTORS

Atari1020MasterDisk.zip

Edited by jaybird3rd

Sucks about all this old hardware dying, even when not being used. I'm glad the old A8s are holding up so well.

Stephen Anderson

Well my Atari collection is growing

Atari 130XE bought new in box

Atari 800XL - not new but in nice condiion - main Atari machine

Atari 1010 Program Recorder bought in new condition

Atari 1050 - not new but in nice and working order

Atari 1020 - hoping it works as I have kids and would love to see this plotter in action..wondering if bad gears could be replaced with metal

Atari 850

SX212 Modem

Question - thoughts on Atari 1025 printer? - any issues assuming its a new one?

While the 1020 is factory sealed I will be opening up to test. No way this box is staying sealed :-)

The 1025 is an outstanding printer. It's a little slow, and unidirectional (the print head only prints left to right), but it's as solid as a rock. If you get a new one now, it will probably outlive you. I believe you can still buy ribbons for it, too, although you might have to look them up under a different printer make/model.

As for the 1020 drive gears: brass gears instead of plastic gears would have been so much better. I wonder if anyone knows what the specifications of the old gears are and where one might look for new gears. I'd love to get a handful of new ones for my 1020s, since they're bound to wear out sooner rather than later.

EDIT: I just remembered, ribbons for the Okidata ML80 are compatible with the 1025. I think the 1025 is really an Okidata printer "under the hood," in fact.

Edited by jaybird3rd

The 1025 is an outstanding printer. It's a little slow, and unidirectional (the print head only prints left to right), but it's as solid as a rock. If you get a new one now, it will probably outlive you. I believe you can still buy ribbons for it, too, although you might have to look them up under a different printer make/model.

As for the 1020 drive gears: brass gears instead of plastic gears would have been so much better. I wonder if anyone knows what the specifications of the old gears are and where one might look for new gears. I'd love to get a handful of new ones for my 1020s, since they're bound to wear out sooner rather than later.

EDIT: I just remembered, ribbons for the Okidata ML80 are compatible with the 1025. I think the 1025 is really an Okidata printer "under the hood," in fact.

i bought one from B&C guaranteed but it had missing gears

:(

i bought one from B&C guaranteed but it had missing gears

:(

I think they told me when I bought mine from them (around 1998) that all of their stock of new 1020s were either bad already or about to go bad; that may be why they don't sell them any longer. Like some of us have said in the threads about the 1027 printer (another Atari peripheral that hasn't aged too well), nobody at Atari could have expected that this hardware would still be in use some thirty years later. That's especially true of "low-end" products like the 1027 and the 1020, which were made to fill a particular niche in the budget-priced computer market of the early 80s and probably weren't intended to last any more than three to five years.

Edited by jaybird3rd

B & C is charging 10 dollars for european pens..not too bad. I had the same though about the gears. Of course if you start adding metal then you may overload the mechanism if its designed to handle a certain amount of weight and is not over engineered

Today i picked up a factory sealed Atari 1020 plotter for 25 dollars off Ebay. Question is after so long what are the chances of the pens actually working? Either way another cool piece of Atari technology.

Chances of the pens working are about 0. I think replacements may be available. It would be cool to find a way to refill the markers. Congrats on the purchase - I never owned an Atari printer and still to this day don't have one.

Stephen Anderson

I have a couple 1020's and a 1025 going spare ;-)

I used to have all the Atari 8-bit printers except the thermal one (822?). I still have a 1020, 1025, and the XMM801. Haven't used them for years, though. My ace in the hole (I think) is the Okimate 10 color printer. Since it's thermal transfer, it should keep working longer than most...barring the plastic pieces falling apart.

Ah, such a shame. So many nifty printer were produced for the low end market way back when. I miss the 1027 and the 820 40-column printer the most. So quirky and cool.

I used to have all the Atari 8-bit printers except the thermal one (822?). I still have a 1020, 1025, and the XMM801. Haven't used them for years, though. My ace in the hole (I think) is the Okimate 10 color printer. Since it's thermal transfer, it should keep working longer than most...barring the plastic pieces falling apart.

Ah, such a shame. So many nifty printer were produced for the low end market way back when. I miss the 1027 and the 820 40-column printer the most. So quirky and cool.

The Okimate 10 was interesting because it had removable interface modules for connecting to different computers, a reminder of the days when different companies' computers were almost totally incompatible with each other.

I've still got an Okimate 10 with a C64 module installed. I haven't tested it, but if anyone wants it to play with or for parts, it's yours for the cost of shipping. PM me if you're interested.

Hmm. The first printer I bought, and even back then for the Atari, was the then "brand new" NEC P6, together with a 850XL interface box to connect it. A bit overshooting for the 8-bit at that time for sure, but it was worth the investment. I used it later on the Amiga, and I still use it today for text printing. *That* beast was designed to last. The only repair I had to do two years ago was the fan of the power supply. No problems ever since. Two ink-printers, bought years later, already died. The NEC still prints as it did the first year.

Never had one, but I always thought that it would be a good hack to replace the motors with fast slot-car motors, and replace the pens with laser-pointers. Would make a very cool Atari-controlled vector-based laser wall projector. Follow standard laser safety guidelines, if you decide to make one from a busted 1020.

The Okimate 10 was interesting because it had removable interface modules for connecting to different computers, a reminder of the days when different companies' computers were almost totally incompatible with each other.

I've still got an Okimate 10 with a C64 module installed. I haven't tested it, but if anyone wants it to play with or for parts, it's yours for the cost of shipping. PM me if you're interested.

Hah.. reminds me of the Epson HomeWriter-10 that had different modules as well. The Atari module wasn't as fast or as nice as the IBM Centronics one (hooked up via an old ApeFace).

I bought my 1020 back in 85, still going strong, Great for Disk directorys, mini print ect... anyway I bought a big batch of commodore pens and found that using steam made them work again.

I put the pens in a strainer and have a pan of water boiling takes about 2/3 mins and they work again.

Edited by bandit
  • Like 3

I bought my 1020 back in 85, still going strong, Great for Disk directorys, mini print ect... anyway I bought a big batch of commodore pens and found that using steam made them work again.

Thanks for the tip!

(That deserves a reputation point.)

Edited by Ransom

Thanks for the tip!

Indeed, thanks for that information! I saved a few dozen "dead" 1020 pens, and I'll have to give your idea a try.

One handy use for the 1020 is, as you say, printing disk directories. The paper is the perfect width to fit between the flaps on the back of a 5.25-inch diskette sleeve.

Thanks for the tip!

Indeed, thanks for that information! I saved a few dozen "dead" 1020 pens, and I'll have to give your idea a try.

One handy use for the 1020 is, as you say, printing disk directories. The paper is the perfect width to fit between the flaps on the back of a 5.25-inch diskette sleeve.

So the 1020 turned up yesterday and as sold on ebay is still factory sealed. Should I keep it sealed for the future or crack it open and have fun as the gears melt and the pens dry up after being stored for nearly 30 years :-)

Cannot wait..will open at the weekend and video if anyone is interested.

Stephen Anderson

I have a couple 1020's and a 1025 going spare ;-)

Does the 1025 have two SIO's or is it the end of the chain

how much for the 1025?