IGNORED

PS3 Console

smile_walle

Hi Atariage members,

My dad is going to give me brand new PS3 console for christmas gift. Which one better to get: 120GB or 250GB???? I've never own PS3 console ever since! Its will be nice for me to own it. :D

I have some question need to know about my Tube TV (older TV)...what is your suggestion to get HD cable box? I do understand PS3 does have HD and blu-ray as well.

thanks

Jason

Hard Drive size... it depends on what you do with your PS3. If you purchase a lot of movies to keep, put ton's of music files on the HD, put a lot of photo's on the HD, keep demo's around even though you don't play them, and purchase a lot of downloadable games, then the bigger hard drive would be a better investment. Plus, some PS3 games install files to the HD... some as big as 5gb.... and if you have played several games and never delete the install files (because you might play the game again in the near future), you can use up a lot of space.

Replacing the hard drive unit in the PS3 is very easy and you can purchase any size drive of your choice (should you decide that even 250gb isn't big enough) at very, very reasonable prices. But $50 for an additional 130gb of storage isn't a bad price at all.

I still use my 60gb launch as my main console and have about 25gb of space left on it. But then I don't purchase movies, don't load up the HD with music, when I finish a game I delete the install files, and I delete demo's after I play them a couple times.

As for the TV... you can play your PS3 on at standard television, but it won't be anywhere near as "pretty" to view. And neither will Blu-ray movies. The main problem with using a standard TV.... in my opinion... is that the text in some games can be extremely difficult (if not impossible) to read. Even subtitles can be small and blurry.

The price of 720p LCD TV's has really fallen in the last year and if you can squeeze the $$$ out of your budget, I would recommend getting an HD TV. I've seen a lot of advertisements by retailers this holiday season for 32inch LCD TV's for under $300 (U.S.). Good gaming size and price.

Hope I've helped and post any other questions you may have.

Oh... and Welcome to the Dark Side!!!

Mendon

I got my 40" LCD 720p TV at Big Lots for $329 last year. You probably won't find one that good now, but I have to agree.. I never would have thought I could have gotten one in the low 100's a couple years ago. As long as you have a 42" or lower, you don't really need 1080. My picture is sharp and clear. The refresh rate isn't as nice as a Bravia or anything, but it was worth the price.

I saw a commercial for the PS3 and Best Buy recently saying that you can save something like $1100 if you buy a PS3 and a Bravia tv with their current discount. Plus it comes with 2 games. Can't beat that.

Congrats smile_walle and enjoy!!!

yeah I cannot wait to get PS3 console for the first time and also cannot wait to play the games to follow:

MLB09

Madden 10

final fanasty 13 (soon)

Gran Turismo 5 (coming soon)

what else you can suggest to me to buy PS3 games?

Edited by smile_walle

MLB09

Madden 10

final fanasty 13 (soon)

Gran Turismo 5 (coming soon)

what else you can suggest to me to buy PS3 games?

Well two of my personal favorites are Katamari Forever and Demon Souls.

Also I'd check out Infamous, Uncharted and Little Big Planet

If you like card games (Like Magic the Gathering) you might try and find an Eye of Judgment

lol. I'm actually considereding getting a PS3 lite (or whatever one is the cheapest) and slapping a large drive in my old one and running unix off of it to act as a media server... :D

Another neat little use for it, if you can get it to work right, is to run something like Tversity or Playon on a PC and stream hulu shows to your PS3 (or even 360).

Motorstorm Pacific Rift is a must. Whenever I play that game I have a huge smile on my face, and it still is one of the prettiest racers (and fastest) this generation. Details like the foliage moving when you run over it or fly by it closely in a realistic manor is amazing.

I agree with the games Moycon mentioned. Katamari Forever and Demon's Souls are great.

Your list is pretty small. There are a LOT of great PS3 exclusives. Also, while it's a multi platform release, if you have the spare change, I'd get DJ Hero. If you don't like Guitar Hero, then this will be everything you wish Guitar Hero could have been and more ;).

lol. I'm actually considereding getting a PS3 lite (or whatever one is the cheapest) and slapping a large drive in my old one and running unix off of it to act as a media server... :D

Another neat little use for it, if you can get it to work right, is to run something like Tversity or Playon on a PC and stream hulu shows to your PS3 (or even 360).

It's called a slim ;), and if you get a slim, you won't be doing that at all.. they got rid of the ability to load another OS on that system.

Hey guys,

I wondering how to hook up from PS3 console to my laptop? yes or no?

Like you mean, watch the video feed on your laptop? There's hardware for that. I'm not a PC guy, but there's a box for the Mac called EyeTV that allows you to play games in HD through a box that goes through the USB terminal and allows HDMI, Component, and Cable TV inputs. I have the SD one that I bought 4-5 years ago, and I still use it to play my PS2 and SFC games on since my TV is a bit crowded with other systems atm.

I have a great news! This morning my PS3 did arrived at my place from Postal service. I did hook up my ps3 to my TV...its works.

In near future I will going to save some money to buy HDTV soon.

I'm happy to have PS3 now...yes finally!

post-1350-126039933918_thumb.jpg

Edited by smile_walle

If you have a network set-up at home you can set connect your PS3 into the network and then set-up Windows Media Player 11 to run as media server. It can serve your music and movie files to the PS3. I'm not sure about pictures. Only disadvantage is it won't transcode anything. If you wanna transcode stuff into a format that the PS3 can handle use something like TVersity..

Pretty neat stuff, also works the same for the 360.

Or you can just get an external hard drive and slap all your stuff on there and plug it into the front of the PS3.

Anything you have to do on the PC side?

If you are using Windows make sure the PC and PS3 are connected to the same network, then make sure your Windows Media Player is set for sharing, and you will have to confirm the PS3 (On my PC it shows up as an Unknown Device)in the Media Player allow list under the Library/Media Sharing tabs. It should show up automatically as long as they are on the same network. Let me know if this helps.

Anything you have to do on the PC side?

If you are using Windows make sure the PC and PS3 are connected to the same network, then make sure your Windows Media Player is set for sharing, and you will have to confirm the PS3 (On my PC it shows up as an Unknown Device)in the Media Player allow list under the Library/Media Sharing tabs. It should show up automatically as long as they are on the same network. Let me know if this helps.

Thanks Moycon, I'll try it out.