IGNORED

New GUI for the Atari 8-bit

flashjazzcat

Well, I'd be interested to see the MrFish visualisation of an activity monitor containing the same functional elements as the SymbOS Task Manager. :) The salient point about the graph is that its height should optimally be a factor of 100 - i.e. 25 or 50 lines. If the graph is 25 lines high, we convert the percentage value into the peak value thus:

LSR @

LSR @

post-6369-0-31762000-1409552146_thumb.png

• Like 5

REALLY COOL ! i MEAN THAT ! really AMAZING FEST ! Sound like Window 7 Task Manager , interesting ! SO Atari 8 bits computer can do the job as the height of fest ! Can't wait to be release in 1 day for a full GUI OS ! SO I can show my buddy of non-Atari that Atari 8 bits can do the job such as Apple II Desktop or Commodore GEOS !

• Like 1

Nice! I'm not taken with the reversed-out section titles for some reason, but I love the tabs, graphs and text placement. Very sensible use of space.

Wow! does you gui system also got a registry with settings ? ;)

Nah... INI files, or symbols as pirx says. ;)

...I can show my buddy of non-Atari that Atari 8 bits can do the job such as Apple II Desktop or Commodore GEOS !

And not only that, but it can pre-emptively multitask. ;)

• Like 1

Praise, praise, praise. Wow and all that!

I just wish to voice my feelings of the point I believe the GUI usefulness dropped and to this day drives me crazy.

In the beginning of using Macintosh computers, when you went to Print, a window opened up with every option presented where all aspects of "Print" could be set. After a quick learning curve you cold tell at a glance everything was set up properly.

Then they started burying all the settings inside drop downs, and split into Page Setup windows and Print windows, and it still, to this day, is hard to know everything is set correctly, and many times what you print is useless.

I guess the logic is presenting everything at once is too overwhelming, but I think the current convention of burying and splitting things up causes frequent incorrect settings.

The above is quite an extreme example of what drives me crazy.

The "Meter" mock up above shows it done right. Everything is presented at once and at a glance you can see Usage of CPU & Ram, System, Memory. Imagine those 4 elements in tabs like they might do today, or worse drop downs. You would then have to switch back and forth, and back again and try to remember the info in each, when it is so much better to see it all at one and how they relate to each other all at once.

And I am referring way, way back to the first color Mac system where everything was small and light and quick like what you are creating. Large text documents in Quark Express would slow down the screen, but the system boots in 15 seconds. Today we are light years beyond a 25MHz processor, but boot times are a couple minutes!

• Like 1

Will you be supporting regional differences? Or perhaps having multiple versions that compile in regional settings? Languages?

I really don't know yet: such things are a ways off. Resources are usually inline (again, I would urge anyone who's interested in the general design to read the SymbOS developer docs: the systems are really similar, despite the different CPU), but they could surely be loaded from a file somehow, if someone wanted to go to all the trouble of translating all the strings.