IGNORED

New GUI for the Atari 8-bit

flashjazzcat

Fabulous visualisations. Meanwhile, this won't win any prizes (and all but one icon looks like hell), but I wanted to see what 16x16 icons would look in the vertical tab bar as I imagined it:

post-21964-0-76039200-1410529013_thumb.png

As I say - I cannot apologize enough for the quality. :) This is more of a general widget concept than a task manager design. If the tab control is kept small, it opens up a lot more space in a small dialog.

• Like 1

Fabulous visualisations. Meanwhile, this won't win any prizes (and all but one icon looks like hell), but I wanted to see what 16x16 icons would look in the vertical tab bar as I imagined it:

attachicon.gifvertical tabs.png

As I say - I cannot apologize enough for the quality. :) This is more of a general widget concept than a task manager design. If the tab control is kept small, it opens up a lot more space in a small dialog.

Nah, those little icons are cool. It's always tougher to work in a more confined area -- as I well know.

Question: Is this a mockup, or we're running on the real McCoy (I'm guessing it's live)? In case of the latter, it's awesome, and demonstrates this can be a very useful approach. I was thinking of more traditional icons when we first spoke about all this. But... I wanted to do at least one set of mockups of the Win8 style verbatum, just to see "what if?", and then work outward from there.

A couple things about it: One is that it does remind of paper folding (as t909 mentioned) and the tabs on tabs is slightly confusing looking. The other thing is that losing the textual data limits the ability to monitor any more than one category at a time. The second, of course is obvious, but taking the old task manager as a model, it's very nice being able to see both RAM and CPU usage simultaneously, rather than having to flick around.

:) I always ask, because I have crossed paths with a lot of people. (Including Susan Kare, Arlo Rose, Andy Hertzfeld, Darin Adler, and Gene Z. Ragan, while they were at Eazel from 1999-2001, I was helping test Nautilus.)

That's really cool. Those folks from the original Mac team are all heroes.

• Like 2

Nah, those little icons are cool. It's always tougher to work in a more confined area -- as I well know.

I took ten minutes over them; certainly not intended as anything other than a rough impression.

Question: Is this a mockup, or we're running on the real McCoy (I'm guessing it's live)? In case of the latter, it's awesome, and demonstrates this can be a very useful approach. I was thinking of more traditional icons when we first spoke about all this. But... I wanted to do at least one set of mockups of the Win8 style verbatum, just to see "what if?", and then work outward from there.

It's a mock-up (Pixelformer, done in about 25 minutes since I had guests). It's easy enough to do live if I can locate suitable icons. If this were the real McCoy, the vertical tabs would certainly have been of equal size, at least. Also, they complicate the vertical tabs (imagine the leftmost horizontal tab with the focus; perhaps it would have to scoot over to the right).

A couple things about it: One is that it does remind of paper folding (as t909 mentioned)...

That observation is lost on me a bit, I'm afraid.

...and the tabs on tabs is slightly confusing looking.

Not to me: I designed it that way because it seemed to make complete sense, in fact, but if it's confusing to others, then it's not doing the job properly.

The other thing is that losing the textual data limits the ability to monitor any more than one category at a time. The second, of course is obvious, but taking the old task manager as a model, it's very nice being able to see both RAM and CPU usage simultaneously, rather than having to flick around.

I agree in theory, although I haven't spent enough time actually monitoring usage data in any OS for reasons other than curiosity to be sure whether I'd miss CPU and RAM side by side. But sure it seems logical to have them together. Having to keep the task manager lightweight probably precludes most of the thumbnail preview ideas, but it's definitely fun to explore different designs, and everything you've presented is appealing for one reason or another.