IGNORED

New GUI for the Atari 8-bit

flashjazzcat

I wonder if it might be possible to have this GUI running on two screens in the case of an Atari with VBXE installed? I'm not up to snuff on what exactly the VBXE does, but if it's possible to have RGB and composite/s-video outputs to two monitors at the same time and have desktop cross-over that would rock!

Possible, but it would require use of the VBXE XDL and if we're going to do that on a VBXE machine we might as well write a VBXE graphics driver for the GUI and have a 640x400 interlaced desktop in 16 colours. ;)

• Like 2

Well, it was just an exciting thought. I don't have a VBXE right now, I'm not sure if I want one (depends on support) and if I decide I want one, if they will even be available.

I wonder if it might be possible to have this GUI running on two screens in the case of an Atari with VBXE installed? I'm not up to snuff on what exactly the VBXE does, but if it's possible to have RGB and composite/s-video outputs to two monitors at the same time and have desktop cross-over that would rock!

Possible, but it would require use of the VBXE XDL and if we're going to do that on a VBXE machine we might as well write a VBXE graphics driver for the GUI and have a 640x400 interlaced desktop in 16 colours. ;)

Sounds like a great Idea ! :)

Sounds like a great Idea ! :)

So then we can do a desktop across two screens, one 320x192 monchrome and one 640x400i with 16 colors.

So then we can do a desktop across two screens, one 320x192 monchrome and one 640x400i with 16 colors.

It's 320x200, but I doubt the extra processing would be worthwhile even if it is possible to split the desktop. If I do write a VBXE version (which will please at least one person), I rather think the 640x400i desktop will suffice on its own.

I think it's needless to support the VBXE directly, as long the VBXE is fully ANTIC compatible.

But I think it's worth to make use of the VBXE anyway, e.g. for image viewers - you even could write an image viewer for basic ANTIC images, but with extra options for manipulating in any way, or show information about the image while the image is shown (which is not always possible on a pure ANTIC machine).

So you could show a 256-colors-image (80x96) at half the size, or in full scanlines, and show size, path, and filename of the file.

You could make sure, the image is shown in colors, as long the VBXE in ANTIC-mode doesn't show the colors (256-colors images look like grey-scale images on this hardware).

In that scenary, I'm talking about the image-viewer as a stand-alone-program, which is called whenever you open an image file (just like in BOSS-X).

Preliminary text clipping demo:

http://youtu.be/r3ZP66-ToLM

You may need to pause this to see that the left half of the "F" in filename is clipped off, as is one of the numbers on the right hand side of the window. Obviously the scroll bars aren't correctly positioned yet, and I had to bodge the clip routine to get it working - otherwise characters entirely outside of the clipping box aren't even processed at all. This will save a considerable amount of time.

Still - this runs nice and quick. The clip routine very efficiently and discreetly creates a 40 byte clipping mask used by every line in the clipping box. It does this every time the application changes the clipping region, signalling to the GUI that the clipping mask must be rebuilt. The mask seems to be the most efficient way of eliminating unnecessary rendering, since bytes in the foreground mask with all bits set to 0 mean the current byte of the line can be completely skipped. So even when pixel-precision horizontal clipping isn't required (as is the case with window client areas, which always line up on bytes), the bytes in the clipping mask still tell the renderer whether or not the current byte needs to be written to the screen.

This project is making BIG use of masks.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

idk what's wrong with youtube, I switched to HTML5 test, but they still prompt me to install Flash (all codecs are supported) :/ but I wont install Flash on my lil Netbook.

anyway, I don't think, monochrome interlaced will look so great. it'll be flickering a lot.

anyway, I don't think, monochrome interlaced will look so great. it'll be flickering a lot.

It wouldn't be monochrome, since I was speculatively (and somewhat distantly) referring to VBXE's 16 colour 640x200 mode with a 400 line interlace - and Rybags' VBXE interlace is pretty easy on the eyes on all the displays I tested it with. I have no intention of using interlaced modes with Antic hi-res, since I don't regard 320x400 as an especially useful resolution (for our purposes, at least), and it would eat RAM we don't have.

Anyway - the clipping will be more interesting when we're using large fonts or icons. What's pleasing is that the method employed is almost "free" once the mask is set up. I'm gearing up to a demo in the next few days which has two movable, overlapping windows full of icons which can be scolled across with the scroll bars. I think that will give us a definitive picture of the performance of the finished system.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

Just got the new clipping system working properly:

post-21964-0-27275300-1331928816_thumb.png

I'll go into detail about how it works later (it's not complicated but it's rather difficult to visualize), but it's almost free and is so efficient and the impact so slight on the rendering loops I've done away with the special clipped text rendering routine altogether. It handles off-screen rendering so windows which extend off the edge of the desktop will be no problem at all. Just the odd glitch (spot the stray pixel) to work out.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 4

It's about as fast or slow as any 386 running Windoze 3.x. Just pure awesomeness! 8-)

That's a bit of a stretch..... my old 386DX/40 w/ SVGA was pretty badass for the day actually. Betcha it might spank an XT running Win3.0 however. Now THAT would be entertainment. And even a fair fight.

Edited by kogden