IGNORED

New GUI for the Atari 8-bit

flashjazzcat

Regarding VDI / AES - both acronyms are quite attractive in their own right, but I think MrFish and I have covered all those bases in our lists. As MrFish says, neither Apple nor Microsoft have been especially imaginative with their OS names. In response to "Windows", my wife's first contribution was "Doors", and I'm sure an interesting acronym could be wrestled out of that. :)

On the window theme:

Quarterlight

Halflight

Fenestra

Lancet

Oriel

Skylight

...etc, etc. We'll either end up with an acronym (already exhaustively shortlisted), or something abstract which suddenly ticks all the boxes.

A little taster (sorry it's not an XEX, but it's nowhere near complete enough today):

http://youtu.be/3BzEdeRWkbQ

This is extremely basic: the document size (and thus with width of the horizontal scroll thumb) isn't even changing depending on the height of the columns (that's what I'm coding up at the moment). Also to do:

• Deactivate vertical scroll bar in list view (since this document is always the same height as the window)
  • "Snap" the scroll thumb to the column offset
  • Don't redraw if the column offset didn't change as a result of the scroll thumb moving
  • Use blitter for partial scrolls (e.g. blit columns 2 and 3 to columns 1 and 2 if moving right by one column)

It might be nice to provide a callback hook so that the application can redefine the document proportions following a resize event before the window manager gets a chance to redraw the scroll bar with the thumb at the "old" size. The Mac used to put the scroll-bars in the client area to avoid this problem (here, window scroll bars are redrawn before the application gets a resize event). It would be nice to avoid drawing the scrollbar at the old size / offset before having to resize it and draw it again if the document proportions change.

Anyway - this is quite heavy going, but once it's working, I'll effectively have a complete skeleton application and then I can go back and reconsider the API for window events in light of having actually written code which uses it. But in any case - I'll release it as soon as it's working reasonably well (can't promise blitting will be in the demo).

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 3

I like all the name, just thought up a few myself

Atari Paines (Window Paines)

Panels OS

OCT-OS

Robert

Nice list, although the last one's baffling: why would we call it "Robert"? :D

or if you want to combine names:

CatFish OS...

I simultaneously like and dislike CatFish OS... it's a marmite name for sure.

Back to the coding for a moment: I just realized the obvious way to "silently" resize the scroll thumbs after a resize event is to return WM_RESIZE followed by a separate WM_DRAW event. This way the application can resize the thumbs, re-enter the main loop, and then the GUI will draw the non-client area with the altered scroll bars and immediately return a DRAW event for the client area (if necessary).

• Like 1