IGNORED

Destroyer - game in development

sometimes99er

Thanks, this may come in handy one day ;)

Does anyone know the cheapest way to get good-quality cartboard boxes ?

For my next game I really would like to have a cartboard box to go with it. :ponder:

Are you thinking of printing directly on the box, or printing stickers to put on a blank box? The latter may be cheaper.

My plan is to buy blank plastic "clamshell" cases, similar to a DVD case, and print color inserts. I had a few sources bookmarked and items priced out a long while ago, but I'll have to start looking again when the time comes.

I even had a very nice (for my skills, anyway) layout I was going to use for a cassette-based project I planned long ago. Unfortunately, that was on an old laptop, which is now gone. :(

I considered learning The Printer's Apprentice and trying to do the whole package - cover, manual, etc - on my 99/4A... not sure if I have the patience for that, though!

• Like 1

Well I hope one of your projects is to make this bad boy a cart.... I'm buyin'

We need approx 125 more cart board orders (qty) to get to the $10/ea range. :-)

I'm hoping projects like this or Pitfall would spur board orders. Hopefully as soon as people get their hands on Pitfall, others will be clamoring for the ability to have a cart as well with Pitfall, Destroyer, etc, on it.

:)

There’s a good chance I’ll be adding a few more routines to the game today.

My 22 month old kid has been sick. Very snotty and coughing keeping everyone awake. This one below is after washing his face several times. Still he has to breathe through his month. Man ... And no, his attention’s at Disney Playhouse and not those submarine silhouettes.

0051.jpg

Enthusiasm hasn’t been too good. The game will definitely NOT be finished before the end of the month. As I said I hope to enter something playable anyway.

I haven’t had any real gear since maybe 1985. And there’s no guarantee this game will run on the real hardware. I’ll continue making 8K games for a while, and then maybe later. I would need both testers and a publisher though.

icon_smile.gif

Edited by sometimes99er

Thanks Filip and Mark. Rasmus is fine now (even from falling down a chair this morning).

Added and rearranged a few things. ROM consumption still only just below 42%. There’s even one more screen in there.

It's good to hear he's doing fine again :)

Did you have to use compresion for keeping it below 42% (even while adding a new screen) ?

Did you have to use compresion for keeping it below 42% (even while adding a new screen) ?

No, only did those few tests with simple RLE to be sure of the effect. Compression is not a last resort, I’ll put it in if and when I need it. Adding compression at a later stage will hopefully also benefit from more things being fixed (that’s the static data in VDP). I might look into decompression on the fly with later games.

I had hoped for at least an hour a day, give and take, but since TI time being a residual (a quantity left over at the end of the day) it hasn’t been easy. Like you’ve mentioned elsewhere, it’s not so much fun when you "have to". I haven’t been all enthusiastic and easily got distracted.

Well, there’s a good chance I’ll put something up later this day (CET).

:cool:

Well, for various reasons less and less time has been spent on this project. :|

I hope everything's ok? :/

Unfinished Destroyer can still kick my game's butt. We'll be happy to have it if you can knock it together, but we all understand that life gets in the way, a lot. My "all day programming day" just started over here... at 8:30pm. hehe

Good luck man!

Keith

Well, :( Im sorry to hear that Destroyer is out if the contest.... However, in the competitive nature of it, it does narrow the competition field, but MAN!!!! Was really looking forward to playing it!!! This competition is more about expanding interest in the TI than winning prizes----I hope you do finish it soon.... As Filip has done with his "Pitfall!" project, so should you do for Destroyer!! It is such a slick and well designed game demo at this point, and it's a shame it won't be out on time... Real life gets in the way of fun too often, yea? Anyway, your project was inspirational to me throughout the course of this competition-- I am truly glad you shared the process with us and I'm looking forward to future updates!!! Destroyer WILL destroy someday, and I hope it's in cart form!

Edited by Opry99er

Got a bit of work done today. ROM consumption at approx. 4K (51.1%). Nothing to show off.

:cool:

It's surprising how compact assembly is. You should see all my Forth source, and it's <8K!

Shame the instruction set wasn't byte oriented, like the Z80 - you'd have twice the code space in the same memory footprint... :sad: