IGNORED

Is there a multi cart for the C64?

jeremysart

Great topic jer!

I'm very new to C64. Just bought one and a monitor and have not tried anything (or own anything yet) I'd love a flash cart or multi cart. I've seen kits and such on websites and eBay for $200+ but don't know what is a good deal. I'd be very interested in hearing the options. Please post links if anyone has info!

Thanks,

AX

Great topic jer!

I'm very new to C64. Just bought one and a monitor and have not tried anything (or own anything yet) I'd love a flash cart or multi cart. I've seen kits and such on websites and eBay for $200+ but don't know what is a good deal. I'd be very interested in hearing the options. Please post links if anyone has info!

Thanks,

AX

Same here, I bought one about a year ago boxed, but I have no games for it. I just lost out on an awesome auction too that had 20 very good games, including 007, DK, Pitfall, and TMNT Arcade. If I can get a multi cart for under $100 that would be the way to go for me.

I'll see if I can dig it up, but you should be able to search the forums and find an SD solution for around $60. It's on the lemon forums for C64....will edit with it when I find it.

EDIT: Aha! Exactly $60. Jim Brain makes a uIEC SD solution. The latest iterations of it emulate a 1541 drive so it's going to be great for fastloading now.

Jim Brain's uIECSD D'oh! Helps if I get it right.

These supposedly work wonderfully and are great little tools. I don't have a C64 yet but I've been doing research for when I do get one! To be honest you should ask save2600 for information, as far as I've seen he's basically the resident C64 guru around here. Really, really knows his stuff! :thumbsup:

Edited by CebusCapucinis

If you want the absolute Cadillac (or Mercedes if you prefer), you want the 1541-Ultimate. The v2 is out now (or very soon) and it's by far the best solution.

www.1541ultimate.net

It'll run you about $220 shipped to the US, give or take, but it's by far the best one out there. The others will do a good job too (better or worse, depending on which one), but the 1541-Ultimate emulates the Commodore drives completely, and pretty much every copy-protection and other oddities will work with it. The other options are a bit hit-and-miss on that.

I'm placing my order for the v2 shortly, and can't wait to get it.

Will the $60 one get you where you want to go as a gamer? I don't know crap about mounting, and drive emulation, or even executing a program. I got a C64 back in the day and it was stolen from the car before I got it home. Never had any further experience. I'm just looking to pay some games.

AX

I haven't used Jim Brain's unit, but I've read good things about it. But, I can interpolate based on my experience with the 64tPC interface (about $35 with no 1541 emulation yet) that it would be pretty good for casual gaming. The Brain interface at least offers some 1541 emulation. With my 64tPC I can play most cracked games, including most multi-part ones, but copy protected ones will not work. With the Brain interface, some protected ones will work. With the 1541-U, almost all protected games will work. So, it should just require a little more effort to specifically hunt out compatible cracked games, but to save $164, that should be pretty worth it. I'm still going for the Ultimate for all the extra features and compatibility, but I'm a little bit fanatical about the C64, so it's definitely the extreme solution.

The $60 should be pretty easy to use from what I've heard people say. It's basically just an SD solution that plugs into the port the 1541 goes into on the C64. Basically you just drag-and-drop the ROM files or disk files onto the SD drive, plug it in, turn it on, and do a basic LOAD command to the best of my knowledge. There's multiple files so you'd likely just do a LOAD "<filename>",8,1 or something like that at the C64 command prompt.

There should be documentation included with the SD drive and I know that you can always contact Jim with questions through his website and he'll be more than happy to help you. I think the lemon C64 forum had some sort of online user's guide posted, too, but I don't have an account on that site and my options are pretty limited for searches.

Basically it automatically emulates the drive, so you're just directly accessing the files. I don't think you have to "mount" a drive per se, but I'm not completely sure on that.

Edited by CebusCapucinis

Will the $60 one get you where you want to go as a gamer? I don't know crap about mounting, and drive emulation, or even executing a program. I got a C64 back in the day and it was stolen from the car before I got it home. Never had any further experience. I'm just looking to pay some games.

AX

Yes it will. I have one and bought from Jim himself at the Emergency Commodore show in IL a little while back. Great guy. The device is a bare naked little board that plugs into the serial port and does an awesome job of emulating a 1541. So yeah, as a gamer... you download your various C64 files, slap 'em on an SD card and do your LOAD"*",8 (or 9 in the case of Brain's unit) as you normally would to read the contents. BTW: you *WILL* also want to get JiffyDOS installed in your computer. It's an absolute must. Don't think you need one? Try loading Ikari Warriors the first time without it... :lol:

BTW: there's a trick you need to perform on Jim's unit if you want golden compatibility. His unit defaults at device '9'. Some 1541 software looks for a device '8'. It's a simple command you feed it from the C64 itself. There's a brilliant wiki on this device:

http://www.c64-wiki.com/index.php/uIEC

...and I have yet to run across any further incompatibility problems since I "tricked" it into thinking it's device '8'.

Edited by save2600

Yes it will. I have one and bought from Jim himself at the Emergency Commodore show in IL a little while back. Great guy. The device is a bare naked little board that plugs into the serial port and does an awesome job of emulating a 1541. So yeah, as a gamer... you download your various C64 files, slap 'em on an SD card and do your LOAD"*",8 (or 9 in the case of Brain's unit) as you normally would to read the contents. BTW: you *WILL* also want to get JiffyDOS installed in your computer. It's an absolute must. Don't think you need one? Try loading Ikari Warriors the first time without it... :lol:

BTW: there's a trick you need to perform on Jim's unit if you want golden compatibility. His unit defaults at device '9'. Some 1541 software looks for a device '8'. It's a simple command you feed it from the C64 itself. There's a brilliant wiki on this device:

http://www.c64-wiki.com/index.php/uIEC

...and I have yet to run across any further incompatibility problems since I "tricked" it into thinking it's device '8'.

Told you he knows everything about C64s. :D

I'll see if I can dig it up, but you should be able to search the forums and find an SD solution for around $60. It's on the lemon forums for C64....will edit with it when I find it.

EDIT: Aha! Exactly $60. Jim Brain makes a uIEC SD solution. The latest iterations of it emulate a 1541 drive so it's going to be great for fastloading now.

Jim Brain's uIECSD D'oh! Helps if I get it right.

These supposedly work wonderfully and are great little tools. I don't have a C64 yet but I've been doing research for when I do get one! To be honest you should ask save2600 for information, as far as I've seen he's basically the resident C64 guru around here. Really, really knows his stuff! :thumbsup:

Cebus, thanks for posting that!

So you can just drag and drop your roms and or other software right on to the SD chip, plug and go huh?

Sounds good enough for me, and there is now way in h-e-double hockey sticks I'm spending $220 to emulate multiple c64 roms

Gonna grab one of these up!

..so, anyone know any good places to get c64 roms?

Edited by jeremysart

Maybe I should consider the uIEC instead of the Ultimate to save some $. Hmmmm.... thinking ... thinking...

There is exactly one device that actually emulates a 1541 drive - thats the 1541 Ultimate. If it's important to you to be able to load and run unmolested software with fastloaders, run multi disk games, and yes even run protected direct copies of original software - then the 1541U is the only choice. The 1541U of course does other things as well such as REU, freezer, cart emulation etc.

Every other device is just doing IEC command processing, which is enough for some people. ;)

Yeah, that's what I figured. I'll probably stick with the 1541-Ultimate-v2 then. I want the be-all-end-all solution. Still, I would think for anyone not absolutely rabid about C64 usage, that $60 Brain device is probably the bee's knees :) I'll research both more though first.

It's taken everything I've ever thrown at it game wise, including multi-load games (again, be sure it's set to Device 8) and the JiffyDOS chip loves it too :)

Well, you're clearly far less picky than I am then. But I would agree that the cheaper solutions are OK for folks who have simpler gaming needs, don't need as many features, don't run multi disk games, and don't care about needing to find 100% working unhacked/cracked software versions. I've been searching for many, many years for a true 1541 replacement (and boy do I have a load of lesser products) and the 1541U is like a long awaited gift from the gods of C64 gaming. :cool:

The 1541U also does a mean JiffyDOS, just replace the drive rom on the SD card. And yeah Jiffy support is something I consider a requirement. :)

that menu thing in 2 of the earlier posts, is that from someone's private collection or does the cart come with pre loaded cracked/hacked games

As for the person that asked for c64 roms archives, your best bet is get yourself a torrent program (like u/bt torrent then go and visit one of the torrent places, like torrentz com or http://www.mininova.org/ and type in c64 games or c64 roms into their search bar

Edited by carmel_andrews

It's taken everything I've ever thrown at it game wise, including multi-load games (again, be sure it's set to Device 8) and the JiffyDOS chip loves it too :)

Well, you're clearly far less picky than I am then. But I would agree that the cheaper solutions are OK for folks who have simpler gaming needs, don't need as many features, don't run multi disk games, and don't care about needing to find 100% working unhacked/cracked software versions. I've been searching for many, many years for a true 1541 replacement (and boy do I have a load of lesser products) and the 1541U is like a long awaited gift from the gods of C64 gaming. :cool:

The 1541U also does a mean JiffyDOS, just replace the drive rom on the SD card. And yeah Jiffy support is something I consider a requirement. :)

Not that many people have that kind of money to throw around on a C64 when there are more important things to do with money, like paying bills and having some fun outside of the house. I have an extremely vast console and game collection, and I only want to play a hand full of games on my C64. I could find much better ways to spend $240 + than on a C64 disk drive replacement. ;)

Still, I would think for anyone not absolutely rabid about C64 usage, that $60 Brain device is probably the bee's knees :)

Does it only handle ide fixed games or can it accept software fastloaders? I was under the impression that it was not emulating the cpu or ram in the 1541 and would only work with games that did not use either of those.

Does it only handle ide fixed games or can it accept software fastloaders? I was under the impression that it was not emulating the cpu or ram in the 1541 and would only work with games that did not use either of those.

I've thrown both cracked/fixed stuff at it as well as originals. If you want, zap me over an image you think the uIEC might trip on and I'll test it for you. One that doesn't require me to get halfway through a game or take over 20 minutes of messing around.... lol

and I only want to play a hand full of games on my C64.

Which is why it's great that there are cheaper (though less capable devices) available for simpler needs. :)

I've thrown both cracked/fixed stuff at it as well as originals.

Can it handle protected G64 images, or swap disk images on the fly?