IGNORED

Hack Project Thread (Galaxian Arcade, Double Dragon, Xenophobe, etc.)

KevinMos3

Adventure is a very nice hack.

I found one glitch, though. I was going for the easter egg, and noticed that color-cycling both playfield color and the "created by"-message leaves the "tt" from "Robinett" unreadable.

post-31204-0-85011600-1336337376_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've added a sprite hack of Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom to the first post along with a color hack of Dukes of Hazzard. There is also a significant update to Rampage and a very minor update to Commando.

post-9364-0-08079900-1338336196_thumb.png post-9364-0-07256800-1338339663_thumb.png

Adventure is a very nice hack. I found one glitch, though. I was going for the easter egg, and noticed that color-cycling both playfield color and the "created by"-message leaves the "tt" from "Robinett" unreadable.

I went ahead and edited some of the letters to condense the message. You can grab it in the first post.

Here's what it should look like now:

post-9364-0-79442500-1338335974_thumb.png

Seriously nice work with these hacks! icon_thumbsup.gif

DL'd them all!

Thanks! I'm glad you like them. There are some updates now, so you may want to download a couple of them again, (Commando, Rampage, and two new ones... Buck Rogers & Dukes of Hazzard). :)

Edited by KevinMos3

I don't know if you saw, but I put a disassembly for Commando in your thread:

http://www.atariage....y/#entry2520899

I don't have any time to work on it, but it should be far enough along that you can go in and make lots of changes. :)

Yes, I saw that, and really appreciate you disassembling it... but forgot to say "thank you." I played around with it some and was able to replace some of the enemies in levels 2 and 3 with other objects like palm trees (which of course could be changed to anything else), but making any serious changes is beyond my ability. Hopefully, someone with more skill than me will pick it up, expand it to 32k and make some really nice additions. :)

I would like to get some feedback/critique on this. The idea was that I thought I might like a dark gray road like the arcade better than black. Also, each stage/terrain with top/bottom border has been changed to follow the sequence and overall color scheme of the arcade. Well, except the first stage. I left that border red for 2 reasons: 1) I liked it red. 2) changing it to another color interferes with the smoke screen graphics. I tried to use colors that worked well with real hardware on a CRT TV.

Anyway, I'm not sure I like it and would like to get others' opinions of it.

post-9364-0-36781000-1339215098_thumb.png

Spy Hunter.bin

Here's a sprite & color hack of Frogger. tkarner wanted to change the ovals(turtles) to look like turtles in an earlier thread. I also edited the other sprites and uploaded to his thread. I've updated that earlier hack with arcade colors, so this can be considered a collaborative work of sorts.

The Color/BW switch changes between arcade & original colors:

Color = arcade palette

BW = original palette

I don't know who added the palette select, but it was probably Nukey. I just changed it so the PAL palette is now the original NTSC colors.

post-9364-0-00857000-1339627056_thumb.png post-9364-0-07164000-1339627067_thumb.png

Frogger Arcade.bin

I'm uploading here for now. If there's interest, I can add it to the first post with the other hacks. Same thing goes for Spy Hunter above. Still looking for feedback on that one too.

edit: Double Dragon updated & added to the first post. Lots of new changes.

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

:love: :love:

I just now saw this thread ... and I have no words!

I do not know where to start, everything is fantastic, there really is so much to see ...and I need a bit of time. :)

I always thought that Double Dragon was a too ambitious project for the Atari 2600 but now I have to change my mind and the use of colors is awesome!

But still, Tomb Raider is really charming and the animation of the sprites are very funny (it's hard to stop playing :) ) and how many variants!

And Adventure? Promises very well, I hope you find the time to finish this extraordinary work.

And Commando? And Xenophobe? And ...

Kevin, please stop, otherwise what will I do with my collection of cartridges VCS? :-D

Marco

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

* I've added a visual enhancement (IMHO) hack of Mangia' to the first post.

post-9364-0-29777300-1348713342_thumb.png

* Double Dragon has received a major overhaul since my last post. Many sprite and screen changes. I really think this game is gorgeous and wish it got more appreciation. It's much more playable than most people realize and I hope to upload a video with gameplay tips to show just how fun (and easy) it can be. Here are some obligatory screens:

post-9364-0-36704700-1348715788_thumb.png post-9364-0-76007200-1348715791_thumb.png post-9364-0-80627000-1348715794_thumb.png

* There have also been several ready-to-print labels added over the past couple of weeks. They are contained in "spoiler" sections below each hack in order to keep the post somewhat condensed.

* I recently played around with Greg Troutman's Dark Mage. It's an interesting text adventure that's very enjoyable to figure out. After playing through the first time, I just had to tinker with it. I changed some of the colors around to help me visualize green fields, a dirt path, and blue sky. I DO NOT want to upload a hack of a homebrew, but I will share the color locations to make it easier for anyone else to tinker with if they wish.

There are two locations for each color, one for each bank. You can change them both to be the same or you can make each bank have different colors if maybe you want to think of it as going along with entering a different area of the game. Anyway, here are the locations and the color choices I went with:

014E & 114E: 00 -> A6 (upper background)
015F & 115F: 42 -> B2 (middle background)
0159 & 1159: 1A no change (text)
01B7 & 11B7: 56 -> F4 (lower background)
01BB & 11BB: 1D -> 0D (bottom text)

post-9364-0-82241100-1348713407_thumb.png

* Also, I played around with Spy Hunter a little more. I was never really happy with the gray road and I wasn't sure why, since the road is gray in the arcade, the NES, and the A800 versions. The other day I was playing the game on my Colecovision and realized why I prefer black... The Coleco version is my favorite of any system (including the arcade), and the road is black. Simple as that. When I think of Spy Hunter, I think of a black road because of the Coleco.

So, I changed the road back to black and tweaked the car colors to fit. However, I still wanted to have a gray version since it's more true to the arcade, so I lightened the car & grass colors from my previous gray road hack and wallah... it made the gray road appear darker. Now I'm satisfied with the gray, but I still prefer black for the reason stated above. BTW, the screen borders and terrain colors are otherwise the same as the previous hack which follows the sequence of terrain from the arcade.

post-9364-0-67557100-1348714375_thumb.png

Spy Hunter.zip

This zip contains both the black and gray road versions. (I'm still not posting this to the 1st page because I'm not convinced it's significant enough to be there).

I'd love to see some Double Dragon how too's. I've always felt I was missing something with the game but have never got very good at it... :)

I started to make a video a couple of weeks ago, but I wasn't happy with the quality of running my Atari through the video capture card. I decided to use Fraps to capture play in Stella, but I quickly found that I'm too rusty with a control pad (which is all I have for the PC), because I've gotten so used to playing it on real hardware with a joystick. I can play through with a control pad, but I wanted to "show off" a bit. So... my plan is to buy one of those DB9 joystick-to-usb adapters which I might get to do today. After that, it's just a matter of making the video. I planned to use iMovie to add text, but it might be easier to use voice. I haven't decided that part yet.

P.S. I'm glad you like the update. :)

I'd love to see some Double Dragon how too's. I've always felt I was missing something with the game but have never got very good at it... :)

PS: The new update is gorgeous.

Look for my Double Dragon walkthru on Youtube, username, "Rkanum". In a nutshell, master the elbow punch! Good luck! :grin:

Awesome updates as usual KevinMos3, thanks man! I'll have to redo my walkthru sometime with your updated hack one of these days! ;) :thumbsup:

Look for my Double Dragon walkthru on Youtube, username, "Rkanum". In a nutshell, master the elbow punch! Good luck! :grin:

Yes, I should have remembered to mention that! Your videos are what originally allowed me to master the game. My plan is to take it a step further with text or voice overlay to give tips while demonstrating. :)

There's actually a lot of gameplay mechanics that overlap with the Sega Master System and even the arcade. This is another thing I want to demonstrate. ;)

Awesome updates as usual KevinMos3, thanks man! I'll have to redo my walkthru sometime with your updated hack one of these days! ;) :thumbsup:

I would LOVE to see that!

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh!! I was just going through this thread as I couldn't remember if I had asked about PAL versions or not. It turns out I had already asked and you were kind enough to make Double Dragon and Pac-Man Arcade ROMs in PAL 50 format... And I didn't even notice! Sorry about that!

Thanks very much for taking the time to do that. I'm now going to stick them on my Harmony and play them on the real deal. :)

At the risk of sounding greedy (I am!), is it possible for you to do another couple? Namely, Galaxian Arcade and your newer version of Double Dragon... If not, I understand. Time is a valuable commodity and I wouldn't blame you for not wasting some on the PAL region!

• 1 month later...

dd26compare.png

Minimal graphics but studied, colorful yet elegant look, aspect clean and depth horizon.

The unmistakable style of VCS valorized by the clever pencil of this passionate guy.

In the past I have underestimated this game because the graphics distracted me, just did not seem like Double Dragon.

This excellent restyling (screens, sprites, animations, colors, etc.) centers the most ambitious target, now I see Double Dragon, this game is Double Dragon.

But still, in this great update I see personality and identity, it is not only the conversion of the arcade game on the little VCS.

Kevin, thanks again for making me rediscover a classic.

The new labels are fantastic and very professional and it is nice to have so much choice.

Certainly the pause option is appreciated.

Greetings

Marco

dd26spritescompare.png

Wow, thank you Marco. That's very humbling. I'm very glad for your support.

@ PFL: I'd like to get those PAL versions done for you, but I don't know what I did with my color conversion chart. If I find that, it will be no problem at all to do those hacks you've asked for. If you'd rather not wait, you can even use the included disassemblies to make a PAL version yourself (if you have a color conversion chart or know what the corresponding colors should be. Just edit the colors in the PAL section of the asm file, change the switch at the beginning of the file to PAL and use DASM to make the ROM.

dasm sourcefile -f3 outputfile

• 7 months later...

Wow, has it really been almost 10 months since I've posted any hacks for the 2600? I guess I better get busy!

Here's a little something I hope everyone enjoys. As you may or may not know, Cabbage Patch Kids: Adventures in the Park is one of the best unreleased games for the 2600. The graphics, gameplay, and sound are astounding. Don't let the title fool you -- it's no kids game. Similar to Smurf Rescue, once you get a few levels in, it's very challenging. Nevertheless, I can never leave well-enough alone; so I thought I'd polish it up a bit.

This comes in two flavors: Brown path and Gray path. The brown path is the original color, but I added the option for a gray path since the MSX and Coleco use gray. I'm not sure which I prefer.

Screenshots showing some of the changes:

post-9364-0-98962000-1373182909_thumb.png

Cabbage Patch Kids (Brown & Gray versions).zip

And a label:

post-9364-0-36885100-1373169910_thumb.jpg

Edit: Alternate roms in case you'd rather play as a boy.

post-9364-0-66434300-1373181853_thumb.png

Cabbage Patch Kids (Boy).zip

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 3

Awesome work on CPK, Kevin! Tough call on the gray and brown versions. Maybe leave one color exclusive to one gender. Not sure which gender would get which color though. They both look really good.

It would be cool to have a double ender cart with this hack, having the girl version on one side, boy version on the other. :-D

Awesome work on CPK, Kevin!... It would be cool to have a double ender cart with this hack, having the girl version on one side, boy version on the other. :-D

Thanks! Did you say Super Glue?!? ;)

Actually, the reason for this post is to announce that I've updated the alternate "Boy" roms. In the previous upload, I forgot to change the 1-2 player select icon on the title screen. Oops! So, be sure to re-download.

Edit: I just stumbled upon "Athletic Land" for the MSX. It appears that was the original game, and then Konami used that to add the Cabbage Patch licensed character(s). It just so happens that the "boy" version of this hack looks a LOT like the boy on the cover of Athletic Land, so here's a title screen edit of my boy hack. I'll probably just call the boy version Athletic Land and have the Cabbage Patch version with the girl.

post-9364-0-23971900-1373233839_thumb.png

Athletic Land (Cabbage Patch Kids).bin

600full-athletic-land-cover.jpg

Also, I did a quick edit for a red-hair option for Anna Lee. Any interest in that? (I've always heard blondes were more fun anyway). ;)

Update: video

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 3