IGNORED

Indie Games?

moycon

AKA : Independent Games

Has anyone been keeping up with these games on Live?

I logged in and was checking out the market place and clicked on the Indie titles and I have to say many of them piqued my interest, either based on concept or graphics. Many were only 80 points (altho some were a hefty 400) Does anyone know of a site that rates these games, or has anyone taken the time to try them out and have their own rating/review? Some of these games look like they might be a lot of fun. There are so many of them at this point, I don't know where to start!!

A site like that would be great. I used to look at them when that stuff first started coming out (and when I had a 360) and some of them looked like crap. I went to my friends house recently and a lot of the look good.

My friend really likes some game "I Made A Game With Zombies" -- it's kind of like Smash TV, but funnier. This dude starts singing and he can't sing very well.

Trials HD is awesome.. not sure if that's an indie game or what.

Too many misses on that Google search, i.e. : "Xbox 360 Indie Games pricing change "came out of nowhere" I was hoping someone already knew of a quality site that reviewed these games. I'll check out IGN, I didn't know they reviewed the indie games, but if they are like the regular reviews they should be pretty thorough. I think I'll check YouTube also and see if anyone is reviewing these on there.

Return Home looks really awesome, but it's fifty points more than I currently have. I'll have to put it on the backburner until I can afford it. Beat Hazard was pretty cool, though! I bought that a month ago and thought that its use of music CDs as game levels was brilliant. I just wish that it had aspired to be more than just another Geometry Wars derivative. Don't we have enough of these already?

Too many misses on that Google search, i.e. : "Xbox 360 Indie Games pricing change "came out of nowhere" I was hoping someone already knew of a quality site that reviewed these games. I'll check out IGN, I didn't know they reviewed the indie games, but if they are like the regular reviews they should be pretty thorough. I think I'll check YouTube also and see if anyone is reviewing these on there.

The very first hit has tons of reviews.

I'm just talking about the IGN picks that show up as one of the tabs in XBLA. I doubt IGN has any reviews on their site.

Edited by HammR25

The very first hit has tons of reviews.

Hmmm You are right, I just didn't like the site I guess. Seemed pretty amateurish I guess. Not much structure and was only one persons opinion, that was my first impression anyways. I'll check it out again.

I keep up with Indie games but a few years ago a lot of them were pretty crappy. Today you can find some real good ones.

My top Indie games are:

Fishing Girl

Blow

Bricks4ever

Arkedo Series - 01 Jump! (This is great!)

Platypus

There's a few other good ones, I forget the name of it but there's a game where you fling a Circus Clown around the screen like a ragdoll. Kind of wierd but fun. There's also a few others too that I like but I dont want to spend the cash on yet.

I wanted to get that CarneyVale one.

Wish they had a deal to buy 360 points in bulk and get a discount.. such as if I bought $100 or $200 worth.

My only stupidity is that I bought all the Paranormal State TV episodes they had. I could have bought the DVD set for $19.99 and saved a lot.

I think the Pac-Man episodes were a good buy since they're hard to find.

• 3 weeks later...

A few have caught my eye lately.

Beat Hazard was pretty good when I played it using Macross Frontier music or the theme from Agent Aika. It's a siezure inducing neon firestorm.

Head Shot 2 is one that's cheap and extremely simple. Might be a good zoner.

Leave Home seemed very cool. It has that glowy look I enjoy.

Mech Gladiator is cheap but extremely good looking for a Indie game. It's a shame it seems to only have three very short levels.

Twin Blades and it's zombie killing nun also tempted me to buy it.

I must admit that none of these had me eagerly buying points or chomping at the bit to play the full versions, but I did keep the demos for future reference in case I had some spare points in the future.

The only way I know of to get a discount on points is to watch for sales on the points cards.

A couple days ago I snagged a new 4000 points card off Amazon for $41.99 shipped. :thumbsup:

Gotta snag em quick.

Currently they are $44.99 still a $5 savings for those interested.

• 3 weeks later...

Miner Dig Deep looks like it might be worth a dollar (80 points). I need to buy a 1600 points card as soon as possible so I can get that and Shadow Complex.

Got Miner. It's pretty cool. Like Dig Dug meets the Sims or something. 80 points is practically free for a quality title. I got Plucky's (Plunky, Flucky?) Adventure too. It's like 3D platforming time trials. The character name obviously hasn't registered much with me, but it's worth 80 points.

Miner Dig Deep looks like it might be worth a dollar (80 points). I need to buy a 1600 points card as soon as possible so I can get that and Shadow Complex.

Got Miner. It's pretty cool. Like Dig Dug meets the Sims or something. 80 points is practically free for a quality title.

Thanks. That's good to know. I still didn't get a 1600 points card, but I should be able to get one some time this year.

I can't reccomend Miner:Dig Deep enough. I just sank two more hours into it in a row, and will be playing it to the exclusion of other games for the next little while. For 80 points. One oddity about these indie games though. You have to be connected to Live in order to use them, yet Live doesn't track that you played them. So although required just to turn them on, Live doesn't acknowledge that they even exist. Weird.

Here is the game by the way:

Briefly, you can dig your mine however you want, and I believe the location of everything except that first blueprint is randomized each time you start a new mine (mine is different than the one in that video). If you go more than three "digs" down straight, you will not be able to climb back up. Luckily, you can purchase ladders and different sized elevators to install. the deeper you go, the more chance you will find more valuable minerals. However, your lamp (which can be upgraded) has limited fuel, so go too deep with a small lantern, and by the time you get to the bottom of your new tunnels, you'll be out of light, making you easy pray for falling rocks. Die (usually from rocks, one time I died from falling down too long a shaft I believe) and you lose whatever you have mined that trip down. Basically, the rest is up to you.

My mine is currently 45 levels deep, with two main diggging sights, and a confusing network of ladders and precisely dug soil stairs that I don't think anyone else would successfully navigate, as it involves some platforming to get to the top, in order to save on ladder purchases.

Briefly, you can dig your mine however you want, and I believe the location of everything except that first blueprint is randomized each time you start a new mine (mine is different than the one in that video).

Sounds like my kind of game.

Remember, it's a Sim type game, so don't expect a lot of action. It appeals to me in the same way Sim City (the original) did. It has simple tools, but I can't stop finding new ways to expand and am picturing my mine even when the game is off. It's very addictive. You guys should get it.