IGNORED

I've joined the A8 world!

GroovyBee

cool, hope you have fun with your new toy and we all get to see some of your great skills on the machine (but don't forget the 7800:P)

I'm looking forward to getting to grips with the machine. I remember lusting after the 600XL/800XLs from the Silica Shop catalogue back in the day. In the end the Speccy won on price.

I've already written my first A8 program the obligatory "10 ? "HELLO WORLD" 20 GOTO 10" :lol: Don't worry I'm not abandoning the 7800. I've still got some games in the pipeline I want to get done for that console as well as finish the WIPs already out there.

atariarchives.org is your friend, and welcome to the A8 scene! I tried getting into Atari ML and failed miserably but I hope you have better luck.

Thanks for the info. I first programmed in 6502 on the Acorn Electron and BBC micros back in the day and just recently picked it up again on the Atari 7800. Have a look in the homebrew section here or my profile page for some of my game links.

(I am also just now learning C++ so I probably wasn't the best candidate to go to ASM right out of the blocks. :D )

C++ is a beast in itself.

cool, hope you have fun with your new toy and we all get to see some of your great skills on the machine (but don't forget the 7800:P)

I'm looking forward to getting to grips with the machine. I remember lusting after the 600XL/800XLs from the Silica Shop catalogue back in the day. In the end the Speccy won on price.

I've already written my first A8 program the obligatory "10 ? "HELLO WORLD" 20 GOTO 10" :lol: Don't worry I'm not abandoning the 7800. I've still got some games in the pipeline I want to get done for that console as well as finish the WIPs already out there.

Remember, once you learn to program on the 8-bit computers it very easy to jump over to the poor neglected 5200. :)

Allan

I remember lusting after the 600XL/800XLs from the Silica Shop catalogue back in the day. In the end the Speccy won on price.

Me too, although I was more 4/800 vintage in terms of lust. I also had to settle for Uncle Clive's offerings. I did quite a lot of 6502 on BBCs in computer shops though. It was pretty cool not having to load an additional assembler.

Welcome to the A8 microverse!

I've just got a XEGS as an early Christmas present to myself. The A8 range is on my list of machines to develop some games for. I don't have any game ideas at the moment :(. I'm just going to have some fun learning about the hardware and experimenting first.

welcome GroovyBee :thumbsup:

Ideas eh... What sort of genre of game takes your fancy? How about a decent bike racing game for the 8-bit like Super Hang On, I used to love playing this on the Atari ST? Or a *decent* few single screens platformer ala Donkey Kong/DK Jr/Hard Hat Mack? Are there any good 2600 games ideas that have not made it across the border? What about looking at other arcade machines from the 80s and seeing if there is any inspiration there e.g. Astro Invader

or

The End - I used to love playing this one and you got to sit down!

Happy coding ;)

welcome GroovyBee :thumbsup:

Thanks for the welcome into the A8 clan :lol:.

Ideas eh... What sort of genre of game takes your fancy?

I like platformers, single screen or side scrollers. Action/puzzle games like lemmings/populous and 3D games like starglider/elite etc. I'm not really a fan of shmups tho. Although I'm probably going to write one just to see how much "bullet hell" I can push in a game :lolblue:.

Happy coding ;)

You too!

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/155050-merrychristmas-atari-images-found/

check out what i just listed . If you have a ape and cable you could load up REAL basic games and stuff .

or use atari800.exe to learn how i made the password file or goblin or horse or DUEL the duel is really fun for two players..

here is a basic file you can type in .

0 GR.11

1 FOR X=1 TO 79:COLOR X:PLOT X,X:DR.X,79:SOUND 0,F,10,10:SOUND 1,F+1,10,10:SOUND 2,F+2,10,10:SOUND 3,F+3,10,10:NEXT F

RUN

HERE IS A NOTHER ONE

0 SOUND 3,PADDLE(0),10,15

1 ?PADDLE(0)

2 SOUND 2,PADDLE(1)+1000,10,10

3 ?PADDLE(1):GOTO 0

USE ONE PADDLE

? PTRIG(0) IS PADDLE (0) BUTTON

?STICK(0) IS JOYSTICK INPUT

INT(RND(1)*21) IS RANDOM UP TO 21 BUT I ALWAYS USE INT(RND(0)*21)

STARTING W ZERO IS MORE RANDOM !.

gOOD luck and i wish you lots of fun programing atari. 800

Edited by awace