IGNORED

Could Super Mario Bros. 3 have been possible for the 7800?

Armonigann

Pretty sure this topic has been discussed before but im curious to what AA has to say..I would say yes, because of Scrapyard Dog :D but other forums say hell no to SMB3, and almost all say NO to SMB 1..Not trying to bring up another homebrew idea, I'm just wondering..is/was the 7800 capable of a SMB?...

I am not a hardware or programming expert (or anything expert for that matter) but we've seen what devs can squeeze out of a 2600 with pretty amazing results. My answer to your question is yes, SMB3 would be possible on the 7800 although it may suffer in certain areas, I still think it would be possible with skilled devs.

I also agree, who needs another SMB when the 7800 could use some Scrapyard Dog sequels or an adventure-RPG.

GideonsDad

It could have happened, yeah. Doesn't the NES version have, like, a second NES in the cart in order to pull that one off in the first place? Drop a pokey chip and half another 7800 in the cart, get Nintendo level programmers on it, with 5 years of programming experience on the system with making blockbuster games, give them a ton of money and time, and helm the project with a gaming visionary, and it'd be done. If you can add what you want to the cart, have elite programmers with lots of resources and experience, and tie it all to a desireable franchise, you could get a solid game to play on a shoe box if you want.

Edited by Atarifever

I remember replying to this thread at Digital Press. I think members over there are jumping the game on what the Atari 7800 can or can not do based on the fact the games the Atari 7800 had a very small game library compare to the Sms and the Nes. That is wrong to do a first place. Some of the questions with the Atari 7800 would be answered now if the Atari 7800 didn't have as many rumor mill games for the Atari 7800 including scrolling platform games. I think rumor mill Atari 7800 games Toki would answer what the Atari 7800 is capable of for scrolling platform games.

I think there could be an answer soon to if Super Mario Bros. 3 is possible for the Atari 7800 or how well the Atari 7800 can scroll.

I remember Propane 13 mentioning that after Arkanoid is finished, he will be working an original game. Propane 13 also mentioned that one of his demos could be turned into an original game. He mentioned this in http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/154905-is-anyone-working-on-original-games-for-the-7800/page__view__findpost__p__1897583 .

I remember at least a couple of his demos involves scrolling.

Edited by 8th lutz

I saw that thread too. :)

FailSafe has 255 columns (8 pixels each) of scrolling. It used to scroll in both directions, but I didn't see the point of scrolling the screen backward so I took it out. When you have the 'SpeedUp' power up, it scrolls pretty quickly and smoothly.

The only two limitations I see for porting SMB3 on the 7800 is the number of colors per zone, and horizontal resolution (I would keep it at 160x2 instead of 320A or B mode - strictly for CPU time's sake). But that's it.

One thing I never tried: can the sprites be defined in 320 mode while the background is 160?

One thing I never tried: can the sprites be defined in 320 mode while the background is 160?

I don't think so. You'd need to change the RMx bits in the CTRL register and the WM bit in the DL for 160 to 320 wide zone (or vice versa). If WM=0 each byte specifies 4 pixels cells in the video line RAM, when WM=1 each byte specifies 2 pixel cells in the video line RAM. The final output video is specified by the two RMx bits in CTRL.

Pretty sure this topic has been discussed before but im curious to what AA has to say..I would say yes, because of Scrapyard Dog :D but other forums say hell no to SMB3, and almost all say NO to SMB 1..Not trying to bring up another homebrew idea, I'm just wondering..is/was the 7800 capable of a SMB?...

I remember there was some talk about the 7800 doing SMB a while ago. It boiled down to, "yes, it can but it's harder to program such a game for 7800 than on the NES". Then somebody suggested that it's easier to program a Zelda or a Space Harrier clone than a SMB clone on the 7800

Can the Japanese version of SMB2 be possible on the 7800

Just yesterday I was thinking about that. It would be the same technically as doing SMB1, but it would have a more useful reason to exist. It would be an unexpected twist on what people expect to be ported.

I also think a title like "The Lost Levels" could avoid legal trouble for a bit longer than "Super Mario Bros."

===

Something I don't like about the idea of porting a NES game is that it will never be 100% the same, and that makes people think you or the system failed. An original game can be designed to do things that the NES can't do, but a NES->7800 port forces you into the least common denominator.

I would say it like this: Within what I have seen the 7800 do, and what logic I can throw at it, a game that plays in the same manor as SMB3 could be done without too much of an issue: set up some kind of level mapping system, code out some alternate abilities, find a way to tie it all together, and walla!

I would NOT honestly want to see SMB3 converted over, beyond maybe a tech demo state, for both the legal reasons, and the fact it would never quite be the same: on the same vein, a homebrew based on said gameplay elements would be awesome.

A Sonic style game on the system would be epic too... :D

There is a big difference in Memory Management Chip the SMB3 used compared to SMB. I don't think it would make SMB 3 impossible to done for the Atari 7800. A Nes game with MMC 5 would be tougher for the Atari 7800 to do.

SMB used a MMC1 and SMB 3 used a MMC3.

The info on the MMC1 is the following: The first and most used chip of all five. Many games like the Legend of Zelda and Metroid use this chip because otherwise they would not be possible. The MMC1 allows NES games to have the ability to scroll vertically and horizontally at the same time on the screen. The chip also expanded the NES memory to allow for more, and larger game worlds. The maximum game page size is 8x16kb.

The Info on MMC 3 is the following: Second most used chip for NES carts allowed for many new game innovations. The additions are; expanded memory and the use of split screen scrolling in games. Games like Super Mario Bros 3 use this chip. In SMB3 its used as a split screen between the playing field and the status screen at the bottom of the screen. These games also has a

maximum game page size of 32x16kb, just as the MMC2.

I got the info from http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/nes/file/916386/2946. The section of the link I got that info from is 2.4 Memory Management Chips.

Edited by 8th lutz