IGNORED

Buying a 360. What do I need to know?

Christophero Sly

I'm finally getting around to buying a 360, but navigating all the issues that surround the console has me a bit confused, so before I take the plunge, I thought it would be prudent to ask a few questions and get some advice.

I guess the most important question is have they got the RROD problems worked out yet?

Also, which bundle should I buy? ATM, I'm looking to get the least expensive bundle (I think it's the Arcade bundle), but is there an advantage in spending more for one of the other bundles? And why the different bundles anyway?

Beyond those two, I don't really have any other specific questions, I'm just hoping for some general guidance on this purchase.

TIA.

I'm finally getting around to buying a 360, but navigating all the issues that surround the console has me a bit confused, so before I take the plunge, I thought it would be prudent to ask a few questions and get some advice.

I guess the most important question is have they got the RROD problems worked out yet?

Also, which bundle should I buy? ATM, I'm looking to get the least expensive bundle (I think it's the Arcade bundle), but is there an advantage in spending more for one of the other bundles? And why the different bundles anyway?

Beyond those two, I don't really have any other specific questions, I'm just hoping for some general guidance on this purchase.

TIA.

According to my buddies at MS. Since the first of the year, the RROD issue has dropped to less than 10% on the new units sold. Still high IMHO, but my guess is that they have addreesed, for the most part, the overheating issue. I am on my 3rd 360 myself. I also have a PS3. Aside from the online (which I think is better on the 360) and a couple of franchises (Gears of War and Halo come to mind), the PS3 offers nearly the same tripple AAA library (Bioshock, Fallout, etc..).

With that said... If you must have an XBXO 360 (I can't live w/o Halo or Gears)... I would opt for the Elite, especially if you plan to go online. For $100 more you get the HD, backwards compatibilty with many of the orginal XBOX games, a couple of cheesy pack-in games, and no need to worry about storage. You can also download your discs to the HD to make the laod faster and save wear on your DVD drive. For online you need to spend another $80-$100 for the wireless adapter (unless you can plug in directly).

DON"T BUY USED!!! You are really taking chances with that option.

Good luck. Take your your time and evaluate what you plan to do, not only now, but in the next year or so.

-Lee

If you are mainly wanting to save $$$ snag an Arcade unit and grab a 20GB drive off eBay. They cost like $20 and unless like Lee Krueger pointed out you are interested in loading your disks onto the HDD (something I've never done) or you want to keep a bunch of purchased video content (something I used to do in the past but have no need to do these days because of the Netflix option) or you want to keep a bunch of Game Demos on your HDD (another thing I've never done, I just delete them after i try out a game), a huge HDD isn't really necessary. I had a 20GB drive with around 100 arcade games loaded on it as well as the expansions for many games (Oblivion, Crackdown, MUA etc....) And still had around 5GB left.

The main thing though, like Lee said, you're going to want an HDD.

As far as the RRoD I haven't had any issues with my newer units *knock on wood* and I have 3 of them!

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, I'm set on a 360, for the reasons you mentioned--I've waited long enough to play Halo 3. Actually, I'd be willing to wait until we're into the next generation to pick up a 360 and a PS3 (I'm always a generation behind), but with the 360's hardware failures, I agree that buying one used is out of the question.

Also, I'm not going to be doing much online. Definitely downloading a few games and expansion packs, but no plans for multiplayer. My DSL is too slow for that anyway.

Am I to understand that the Arcade unit doesn't come with a HD? Is installing a HD purchased on ebay an easy thing to do? Would it void my warranty?

*Edit: It doesn't come with a HD. That's just stupid--MS being MS.

I guess the question then is whether to buy an Arcade unit and install my own HD, or buy an "Elite". Please advise.

Edited by Christophero Sly

Just make sure it's a Jasper.

Is there any way to know which MB revision you're getting from the external packaging?

All I know is what pages like these say:

http://joeygadget.com/2009/02/22/one-minute-review-jasper-xbox-360/

http://giftguide.toptenreviews.com/?p=2721

http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2008/12/12/how-to-find-a-jasper-xbox-360.aspx

Am I to understand that the Arcade unit doesn't come with a HD? Is installing a HD purchased on ebay an easy thing to do? Would it void my warranty?

Actually even the Arcades come with a little on board memory, enough for some saves is about it though. I think 256MB.

There is nothing to installing a HDD, take it out of the package and plug it into the top. It wont void your warranty. RT can tell you how hard it is, that's exactly what he did. Also if you're going to a store like Wal Mart or Best buys any box you pick up should be a Jasper. They stopped making the Falcons over a year ago, The newer boxes have a Netflix picture on the box as well. Prior to the Jaspers Netfix streaming wasn't around. There are many site that will go into greater detail on spotting a Jasper in the wild, like i said tho, those were big a year ago when Jaspers might be hard to find because they were just released.

Actually even the Arcades come with a little on board memory, enough for some saves is about it though. I think 256MB.

There is nothing to installing a HDD, take it out of the package and plug it into the top. It wont void your warranty. RT can tell you how hard it is, that's exactly what he did. Also if you're going to a store like Wal Mart or Best buys any box you pick up should be a Jasper. They stopped making the Falcons over a year ago, The newer boxes have a Netflix picture on the box as well. Prior to the Jaspers Netfix streaming wasn't around. There are many site that will go into greater detail on spotting a Jasper in the wild, like i said tho, those were big a year ago when Jaspers might be hard to find because they were just released.

Thanks for the additional info. I was under the impression that the HD was internal, like an original XBOX. I see how it works now. That's actually pretty cool. I'm going to go with the Arcade bundle and pick up the 20GB HD like you suggest. I think I'll get the console from Amazon. They have the Arcade bundle for $179, no taxes, free shipping. :) I'm going to assume that the Jasper MBs have saturated the supply pipelines at this point.

There is nothing to installing a HDD, take it out of the package and plug it into the top. It wont void your warranty. RT can tell you how hard it is, that's exactly what he did.

If it was any easier, it would plug itself in. (I keep my Xbox 360 horizontal, so the hard drive is on the side instead of the top.)

Thanks for the additional info. I was under the impression that the HD was internal, like an original XBOX. I see how it works now. That's actually pretty cool. I'm going to go with the Arcade bundle and pick up the 20GB HD like you suggest. I think I'll get the console from Amazon. They have the Arcade bundle for $179, no taxes, free shipping. :) I'm going to assume that the Jasper MBs have saturated the supply pipelines at this point.

Good compromise.

Welcome to the XBOX club. You are in for some good gaming goodness.

BTW: Check local Craigslist for HDs as well. The 20GB drives seem to be abundant.

Happy Holidays,

-Lee

Good choice on buying the system new. And I may have to follow you on the $179 arcade bundle, I've been trying to pick up a system again.

As far as certain accessories, buy used. You should get a wireless controller with the system, but it will come default with a pack that takes batteries. You will probably want to buy a play-and-charge kit (comes with a rechargable battery pack and a cord used to connect your controller to your system to charge the battery pack or to play wired). These are about twenty bucks new, but you can get them for $10 used. Also, like stated above, the 20GB hard drives are pretty cheap. GameStop sells them for $50, but you can get them for $20 or $30 online. Lastly, if you get a wireless adaptor, buy used as well. They're $80 to $100 new, GameStop sells them for $60 - $70 used, but you can probably get them for $40 - $50 online, maybe less. I can't picture any of these accessories going bad unless someone took a hammer to them, but definitely buy the system new. :D

Edited by Austin

Yes a charge and play kit is something you will need.

I personally install all games i play onto the harddisk, because the dvd-drive is just to loud. Can't pump up the volume since my little boy sleeps and would be waked up by the game sound.

Edited by Seob

I personally install all games I play onto the harddisk, because the dvd-drive is just too loud. Can't pump up the volume since my little boy sleeps and would be waked up by the game sound.

I can't even hear mine and it's right next to me when I play. I'm glad the new ones are quiet.

I did it; I placed an order this morning. I bought an Arcade unit from Amazon for $179, free shipping, no taxes. I wavered between that and a refurbished Pro w/ 20gb HD and 2 controllers for $199 from Wal-Mart, but as folks here cautioned, I didn't want to risk a ride on the RROD merry-go-round with a used console, so I went with the Arcade, which I'm told guarantees a Jasper, if you buy it from Amazon... we'll see.

When it comes to video games, I've been an enormous cheapskate for the past few years, so this is a big expenditure for me. However, over the past year, I've sold off most of my post-Atari collection, and that has left me with a nice chunk of change that I don't have any plans for. This purchase came out of those funds, so it doesn't really feel like I've spent anything here, feels more like shuffling some resources. Even so, I haven't invested in a brand new console since the SNES.

Thanks again to everyone who offered their advice on this purchase.