IGNORED

How to network my 360

Atarifever

Okay, so I finally got a HDD for my 360, so I would like it to communicate with my PC. What I want to do, as I don't have the wireless adapter yet, is to hook it to my wireless laptop via an ethernet cable. Anyone know how I can pull this off? I figure I can use the laptop as a gateway to the internet for downloading games and demos. Is that possiblle. Even if that's not possible, how can I get the laptop and 360 to recognize each other so I can transfer stuff between them?

I am using Windows XP and the NXE. Thanks.

I'm assuming your laptop is talking to a wireless router and I don't know if it's possible for this to work because I never tried it, but you might try this. Just take the cat-5 network cable from your 360 and plug it into the ethernet port of the laptop. Next go into the control panel, then network connections, and find your wireless connection and the ethernet port to the 360 connection. Highlight both and then right click on them. Choose bridge connection. Again, Im not sure that will work with a wireless connection.

In any case, I think simply plugging in the 360 to the laptop via the ethernet port and setting up media sharing in Windows Media Player will allow you to stream music, pictures, and some videos. I say think, because once again I never actually tried to set any of mine up that way.

If you want to plug your 360 directory into the ethernet port on your laptop you will need a crossover cable. Then set up internet connection sharing on your laptop.

Yes that may be right, I have all my wired devices networked through a cheap $10-$15 four port ethernet switch and use all straight through cables, however if you are going directly from one to the other you may need to make it a X-over.

If you want to plug your 360 directory into the ethernet port on your laptop you will need a crossover cable. Then set up internet connection sharing on your laptop.

Yes that may be right, I have all my wired devices networked through a cheap $10-$15 four port ethernet switch and use all straight through cables, however if you are going directly from one to the other you may need to make it a X-over.

Thanks guys. I already have a null modem cable connecting my Powerbook 170 to the PC, so this sounds fairly similar, and thusfairly simple. Thanks a ton.

How much should one of those cords cost (I'm always wary of being ripped off on cables).

How much should one of those cords cost (I'm always wary of being ripped off on cables).

Crossover cable? Not sure. I wouldn't pay more than a couple bucks for one. I could make you one if I could find my crimp tool. I can try and find it if you would like.

I'm assuming your laptop is talking to a wireless router and I don't know if it's possible for this to work because I never tried it, but you might try this. Just take the cat-5 network cable from your 360 and plug it into the ethernet port of the laptop. Next go into the control panel, then network connections, and find your wireless connection and the ethernet port to the 360 connection. Highlight both and then right click on them. Choose bridge connection. Again, Im not sure that will work with a wireless connection.

In any case, I think simply plugging in the 360 to the laptop via the ethernet port and setting up media sharing in Windows Media Player will allow you to stream music, pictures, and some videos. I say think, because once again I never actually tried to set any of mine up that way.

Bridging connections works like a charm. It's a cakewalk and unless you have some funky router settings, it'll work first go. Mine is currently hooked into my netbook via an Ethernet cable and all I did was bridge, turn on both, and wham-bam-thankyouma'am.

The 360 does NOT need a crossover cable. The port automatically detects whether it's needed or not.

I thought this was the case, but it's been so long I didn't want to state it as a fact, although now that you mention it, I think back in 2007 I did in fact have it directly connected with a 50 foot straight through cable and it worked.

The 360 does NOT need a crossover cable. The port automatically detects whether it's needed or not.

I thought this was the case, but it's been so long I didn't want to state it as a fact, although now that you mention it, I think back in 2007 I did in fact have it directly connected with a 50 foot straight through cable and it worked.

Uh-oh. Then I have a problem, because neither will detect the other with a straight through cable.

Uh-oh. Then I have a problem, because neither will detect the other with a straight through cable.

I have a wifi bridge now but I originally used my laptop to bridge to the network.

I have used standard and crossover cables and both work fine.

Try a different cable and check your settings.

The problem I had with that set up was with streaming media between the two (It seems to me it would work as long as I unbridged the connections and rebooted everything) which is why I chose to go with the 4 port ethernet switch in between everything, it worked for bridging the two connections in my case the wired connection to the modem from my PC and the wired connection from the 360 to the PC and using my PC as a gateway to get the 360 online. I will have to fiddle around with one of my 360 later and try it out again, like I said this was a couple years ago.

I have a wifi bridge now but I originally used my laptop to bridge to the network.

I have used standard and crossover cables and both work fine.

Try a different cable and check your settings.

What settings would potentially cause an issue. The laptop has an ethernet port which recognizes when the cable is plugged in and removed. The 360 doesn't indicate that it picks up anything, and even when I try to just share through media player, the computer won't list the 360 as a connected device. I have tied with and without the firewall on.

I don't have any experience networking devices, and am wondering if I'm just having a d'uh moment. I had hoped that with both systems running all Microsoft software, and one of the devices itself being made by Microsoft, and with the ethernet cord being supplied by Microsoft (it came with the HDD), and with my latest system updates coming from games only released a couple months back, and with the newest version of media player, it would be a simple plug and play sort of thing. The fact it isn't makes me think it's something simple that I have overlooked.

Edited by Atarifever

What settings would potentially cause an issue. The laptop has an ethernet port which recognizes when the cable is plugged in and removed. The 360 doesn't indicate that it picks up anything, and even when I try to just share through media player, the computer won't list the 360 as a connected device. I have tied with and without the firewall on.

Been so long I can't remember but I'm almost positive it's not as easy as you are thinking. in fact it was a such a pain in the ass to get working half-assed I was relieved when I moved on and tried something else! LOL

If I remember correctly, you'll have to manually assign IPs and subnets to the 360 and the network connection on your PC. Basically set up a mini network between the 360 and PC

EDIT : Found this information which seems to support what I was just talking about and goes into step by step detail for getting it to work.

http://xboxelle.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!E83A6D6C82C489F1!265.entry?sa=571559248

Also here's the proof you dont need a X-over cable to do this:

http://xboxelle.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!E83A6D6C82C489F1!262.entry

It should be mentioned this really isn't a good way to do this. It'll work if you're broke and have no other options but I remember it was kind of a pain in the ass to use. I could either set it up to get the 360 an internet connection, or set it up to stream media, but I don't think I ever got it to work doing both at the same time and it had to manually be changed back and forth.

Been so long I can't remember but I'm almost positive it's not as easy as you are thinking. in fact it was a such a pain in the ass to get working half-assed I was relieved when I moved on and tried something else! LOL

If I remember correctly, you'll have to manually assign IPs and subnets to the 360 and the network connection on your PC. Basically set up a mini network between the 360 and PC

EDIT : Found this information which seems to support what I was just talking about and goes into step by step detail for getting it to work.

http://xboxelle.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!E83A6D6C82C489F1!265.entry?sa=571559248

Also here's the proof you dont need a X-over cable to do this:

http://xboxelle.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!E83A6D6C82C489F1!262.entry

It should be mentioned this really isn't a good way to do this. It'll work if you're broke and have no other options but I remember it was kind of a pain in the ass to use. I could either set it up to get the 360 an internet connection, or set it up to stream media, but I don't think I ever got it to work doing both at the same time and it had to manually be changed back and forth.

I remember back in 2005 at E3, Microsoft showed the 360 connecting with an iPod and PSP to show how it connected to everything. Apparently, they meant everything except other Microsoft products. Maybe I should get a Mac or reinstall Linux.

In any case, thanks for the info, but that's too much work for something I think should be simple. I connected the Wii and DS using a 3rd party wifi USB adapter connected to a Windows PC in one minute, in multiple houses, with multiple computers. That Nintendo has easier setup than the 360 is embarrassing for Microsoft. Oh well, kind of a moot point, considering I sold the Wii and DS and would rather eat broken glass than not have a 360. :)

Okay, so new question: Can I use a USB drive as a go between? I have almost 50 gigs on the HDD (it came with some demos and stuff) and want to fill it up. Can I move media files onto the USB key and from there to the 360? Could I download games and demos to the USB key and then to the 360?

I do plan to get the wireless adapter eventually, but I refuse to pay $100 (even the 1 antanae one is still $80 and tax here) for it. Live will just have to wait until I either find a used one or they start to be blown out up here.

Edited by Atarifever

Okay, so new question: Can I use a USB drive as a go between? I have almost 50 gigs on the HDD (it came with some demos and stuff) and want to fill it up. Can I move media files onto the USB key and from there to the 360? Could I download games and demos to the USB key and then to the 360?

I've plugged up my Zunes and San Disk MP3 players and yeah they connect to the 360 no problem. Haven't ever tried a USB drive, give it a try!!

I have my system set-up so I can connect either the Xbox or 360 to my PC which connects to my network via wifi and it works pretty well. Although I have to boot my PC first and make sure it is connected before turning on the Xbox or it wont work. I think I hard to hard code the IP of the PC as well.

Well I'm an idiot. I just realized a fairly simple solution to getting game downloads and demos on the HDD anyway. I'll just hook the 360 to the router directly and output to a small TV. Then, once I download what I want from Xbox Live or the internet, I'll just move the 360 back into the living room. It's a somewhat inconvienient work around, but it's hardly difficult. When I get back to the house in a few days, I have a feeling I'll fill 50 gigs pretty quick.

What Live Arcade games do I need to get for a mostly offline Xbox 360? Second question, what Live Arcade games do they have from SNK?

Also, if you were going to try to sell me on a 360 game I might otherwise overlook, what demo would you reccomend?

Thanks.

Edited by Atarifever

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone looking to do this, here is the solution:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Using-your-Laptop-as-an-Xbox-360-Wireless-Adapter-/

The order you do the steps is important. It works perfectly. It lets me go on Live just like if I had an adaptor. Why anyone would buy the adaptor now confuses me. My netbook is barely bigger than the adaptor and has a four hour battery (and the 360 is already at a plug I can plug the netbook into).

For anyone looking to do this, here is the solution:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Using-your-Laptop-as-an-Xbox-360-Wireless-Adapter-/

The order you do the steps is important. It works perfectly. It lets me go on Live just like if I had an adaptor. Why anyone would buy the adaptor now confuses me. My netbook is barely bigger than the adaptor and has a four hour battery (and the 360 is already at a plug I can plug the netbook into).

Yeah that's pretty much what I did, and just like they said the laptop has to be turned on first and "connect" to the network before the xbox can. If the xbox is on first the laptop will get confused. I have the IP hard coded on my PC so that my relax shares will work since relax for some reason needs an IP address and cannot resolve a pc name.