IGNORED

dumping 5200 carts

chriswhit

I think most people use the Atarimax USB flash cart for development. If you want to dump a cart you probably need to do it manually with an EPROM programmer. Though I think pretty much everything has been dumped as far as released games.

Mitch

I think most people use the Atarimax USB flash cart for development. If you want to dump a cart you probably need to do it manually with an EPROM programmer. Though I think pretty much everything has been dumped as far as released games.

Mitch

How were they done the first time? Did people use something like a chip clip?

Mitch

I have an eprom burner. Can this be done without opening the cart? My friend has some prototypes and won't let me pull the labels to open them

Mitch

I have an eprom burner. Can this be done without opening the cart? My friend has some prototypes and won't let me pull the labels to open them

What are they, non-Atari carts? Normal 5200 protos have the screw on the back, not under the label.

Mitch

What are they, non-Atari carts? Normal 5200 protos have the screw on the back, not under the label.

Wow I never looked. I just assumed the screw was under the label. will I have to desoder the chip? I know he won't let me do that. He also said he doesn't want to soder jumpers or alter the carts in any way. does this mean dumping is out of the question?

Mitch

Wow I never looked. I just assumed the screw was under the label. will I have to desoder the chip? I know he won't let me do that. He also said he doesn't want to soder jumpers or alter the carts in any way. does this mean dumping is out of the question?

If they are protos, most likely the EPROMs are in sockets. Some of the Atari ones look like they are soldered in but they actually use eyelets for a socket.

Mitch

Mitch

Mitch

If they are protos, most likely the EPROMs are in sockets. Some of the Atari ones look like they are soldered in but they actually use eyelets for a socket.

Mitch

Mitch

Cool I'll be taking a second look at them then. Thanks

• 3 years later...

I have a sealed non-Atari brand 5200 cart and would like to dump it without breaking open the cart. Does anyone have a dumper or a way to convert the 5200 so I can dump the cart like you can on the 800XL or a modified 7800? I don't see the answers in this topic yet and haven't found the answers in any other posts.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by Defender II

• 2 weeks later...

No you need to open the cart to dump it. I can't imagine why you would want to though since all non-Atari brand games have been dumped.

Allan

Thanks for your input, but it is not necessary to open the cart; another member has done it, but his is not readily available and can't find his plans right now. Since the cart can be read by the 5200 it can be read by another device such as the AtariMax USB Programmer with an adapter. I am just trying to find out if anyone has already made an adapter that I can copy without starting from scratch. Please contact me if anyone else has one or plans for one.

Thanks for your input, but it is not necessary to open the cart; another member has done it, but his is not readily available and can't find his plans right now. Since the cart can be read by the 5200 it can be read by another device such as the AtariMax USB Programmer with an adapter. I am just trying to find out if anyone has already made an adapter that I can copy without starting from scratch. Please contact me if anyone else has one or plans for one.

The Atarimax USB programmer is for for the 8-bit computers, not the 5200. They are not compatible in anyway. The 5200 board is a quarter inch bigger and the pin spacing, number and signals are different. If you do find something that will allow you to read a 5200 cart without opening please share. I've been on AA here for over ten years and have copied and made carts for just as long but I've never come across such a device or mod. It would be nice to have.

Allan

The Atarimax USB programmer is for for the 8-bit computers, not the 5200. They are not compatible in anyway. The 5200 board is a quarter inch bigger and the pin spacing, number and signals are different. If you do find something that will allow you to read a 5200 cart without opening please share. I've been on AA here for over ten years and have copied and made carts for just as long but I've never come across such a device or mod. It would be nice to have.

Allan

Thanks again for your input. I really appreciate your help and anyone else who can bring this closer to completion. I am a computer tech with over 30 years experience in electronics. I understand the physical and electronic differences of the A8 & 5200, and I'm sure you know they are compatable in several ways. I made a dumper for my 2600 carts to my 1200XL in 1988, so I am familiar with the difficulties. Yes, the number of address lines is not the same as well as a few others, but that is easily overcome by the Atarimax USB Programmer which can and is being used to dump cartridges other than the A8 such as the Intellivision Cartridge Dumping Adapter for Maxflash USB Programmer. The AtariMax USB Programmer is a very capable and flexable tool. I have already talked to him and he would like to make adapters for the 5200 and 2600 this summer, so he also thinks it is doable. If it has already been done it would save time re-inventing the wheel and I could get on with other things like actually dumping them.

intv1_1024.jpg

• Like 1

Well, I'm sure Steve could do it. That's cool about the Intellivision adapter. I would think it would be easier to to a 5200 adapter than an Intellivsion one so most likely it would be doable. I'm not sure it would have a lot of use since all the FOUND prototypes and regular releases have been dumped but it would still be nice to have. The Intellivision adapter doesn't seem to complicated and seemed fairly cheap to make so why not. I see Steve made a Colecovision one as well. I'll definitely have to pick up one of these programmers.

Allan