IGNORED

Arkyology - New prototype discovered - Finished Game!

CRV

I'm just curious if those who have played this game much have figured out the trick to avoid the flying birds without ducking?

Yes, I have actually walked right underneath a flying bird in the heat of frantic play, very similar to how it can be done with the buzzards in Pitfall 2. But I certainly dont rely on it as part of my gameplay nor do I actively try to do it. Its far too risky!

• Like 1

I don't recall that happening, but does it have something to do with standing directly at the ladder under the tunnel but not actually on the ladder?

That may be, because you only have to have one pixel of your foot sticking out of the tunnel and the bird will hit it, making me think it is at the high point there.

Yes, I have actually walked right underneath a flying bird in the heat of frantic play, very similar to how it can be done with the buzzards in Pitfall 2. But I certainly dont rely on it as part of my gameplay nor do I actively try to do it. Its far too risky!

I have also managed to accomplish this feat several times in Arkyology... I wonder what the trick is?

Watch the bird's animation closely.... As the bird flies along there are at least 4 spots where Noah is safe standing up and with a little practice you can can even run right under the bird without slowing down.

I've done this many times by accident. Mostly because I couldn't duck properly with the less than ideal D-pad of the portable. :)

Just a quick note here that I am not gonna be making any of these Arkyology carts. The game still has some bugs and various compatibility issues from my experience and from what I've gathered reading the posted results of others. I think it's best I avoid any potential issues with such things. AtariAge will have a release of the game in the future and I encourage everyone to wait for that version which will be in the best form this game is possible to receive with all updates and fixes to stabilize this program from it's originally dumped state. Sorry to disappoint those few people I was going to make a cartridge for.

• Like 2

If memory serves me correct, the original unmodified rom, works properly in any normal Atari system environment. Meaning original & unmodified factory consoles. Wasnt it only the aftermarket systems & portable hacks & things of that nature that had issues?

I think compatibility issues with original hardware only surfaced after the programmers here started modifying the rom file.

Original Rom:

1) Initialization issue if the program cold starts from the second bank. Only a problem if the physical cart does not ensure that cold start only happens from the first bank.

2) Unstable scanline counts during screen transitions...this can freeze the image on -some- modern LCD televisions, making the game unplayable there. Possible screen rolls/jumps regardless of display hardware, however.

3) 2-digit display of the 3-digit day counter (100-128 shown as 0-28 onscreen). Only hardcore marathon players would even see this glitch.

• Like 1

Original Rom:

1) Initialization issue if the program cold starts from the second bank. Only a problem if the physical cart does not ensure that cold start only happens from the first bank.

2) Unstable scanline counts during screen transitions...this can freeze the image on -some- modern LCD televisions, making the game unplayable there. Possible screen rolls/jumps regardless of display hardware, however.

3) 2-digit display of the 3-digit day counter (100-128 shown as 0-28 onscreen). Only hardcore marathon players would even see this glitch.

With that in mind I will keep my options open to further testing. #2 on your list makes me want to try it out using different televisions.

Anyone else see the eBay listing below? BTW, Can't wait for the AA release. (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/155420-arkyology-new-prototype-discovered-finished-game/?p=4122868)

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1328139704401?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=132813970440&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Edited by sramirez2008

Crossbow has sent me a 2600 console to test with (I only have 2 of the "temperamental" 7800 consoles currently that don't like some games) so I will have the couple carts for those that talked to me before very soon. Monday I'm getting the console so don't bid stupid money on the one on ebay. I'm making a handful soon and Albert is gonna be making enough for everyone in the AA store soon enough. I'm charging $30 a pop which is already $22 cheaper than the one on ebay and I'm sure it's gonna go much higher than that as fools and their money are soon parted.

Edited by Shawn
  • Like 2

This is so ridiculous. I mean, I dont know which is worse, the deception of the eBay seller or the stupidity of the eBay buyer. They both make me sick.

He does say in the item description that he had two made, one to keep and one to sell, so he's not being that deceptive. Actually makes anyone bidding on it look even more clueless. "Hey, here's this thing I had made. If you like it, you could have one made for yourself. Or, you could pay me twice what it would cost to have one made and I'll send you this one. The choice is yours."

Someone else on ebay is selling 5 carts for $25 a pop, looks like they are beating atariage to the $,s?.

Those are pretty horrible looking. Square cut corners on the labels and worse yet, you can see the white paper along the edge of the labels. Its a real hack job. Resale value of about $5 maybe. Anyone in their right mind would have atariage do it or wait for the official release.

Those are pretty horrible looking. Square cut corners on the labels and worse yet, you can see the white paper along the edge of the labels. Its a real hack job. Resale value of about $5 maybe. Anyone in their right mind would have atariage do it or wait for the official release.

I am personally going to buy a boxed copy from atari age at some point, but the ones on ebay will easily sell out people just want to play the game.

• Like 1

I am personally going to buy a boxed copy from atari age at some point, but the ones on ebay will easily sell out people just want to play the game.

I would put the money towards a Harmony cart so I can play the games while I wait for a decent made cart.

• Like 1